Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Port Vale Official Matchday Thread  (Read 17379 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 00:00:06 »

The Opponent:  Port Vale

A miracle happened today. There I was, enjoying my dinner, randomly watching Points West, and they must have had a whole 3-4 minutes of Swindon Town. I have never really known us to get much more than a nod from the Beeb when it comes to STFC coverage on Points West, even when Di Canio was around. But we were treated to a good 30 seconds from Mark Cooper and then a rather chirpy Jed declaring we are going for promotion and going for promotion as a self sustainable model rather than the overspending monster we had became.  They pointed out that our average starting age against Oldham was a little over 22 and the powers that be also confirmed that our current league position of 8th was a fair bit better than what they were expecting, which was probably the thoughts of most of us a few months back, so credit where credit is due to Cooper and the team and  McRory and his partners. And Sangita Shah?  I bet she makes a blinding cuppa.

Port Vale visit the County Ground for what is forecast to be a rather windy affair today, with gusts of up to 50mph possible predicted by The Met Office, although if last week’s ‘Hurricane’ is anything to go by the wind will probably go unnoticed. Perhaps its just me but Port Vale seem to have hung around the lower leagues for as long as I can remember. I remember visiting The Potteries a couple of years back (Lukas Magera anyone?) and I have to say the surrounding area was amongst some of the most ghastly  and deprived I had seem on my travels for quite a few years. The only businesses that seemed to prosper in the area were the ones that supplied board for covering up broken windows, although I don’t seem to remember feeling this way when we visited their considerably larger and more illustrious neighbour, Stoke City, perhaps that was down to it being a dark Tuesday evening, after all, even Margate looks nice when its dark. The area of Burslem is one of the towns that form  the city of Stoke on Trent, its main contribution to the world being pottery making giants, Wade and Moorcroft, which sound more like a dodgy northern law firm to me. Burslem’s most notable folk include Port Vale shareholder, Robbie Williams, arrow throwing legend Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor, Motorhead’s Lemmy, and the forefather of many a Princess Di tribute plate, Josiah Wedgewood.

The Last Time We Met – It doesn’t seem that long ago, I have the DVD somewhere. We trounced Port Vale 5-0 on the final day of a manic 2011/12 season in front of a packed County Ground to lift the League 2 championship. Happy Days.

They have served us both – Morris Jones, Ralph Hunt, Calvin Andrew, Tim Parkin, Billy Paynter, Ashley Westwood, Jimmy Kelso, Ken Beamish, Paul Edwards and apologies to Reg for the forgotten many.

Where the opposition gather –

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?7-Port-Vale-present

Port Vale Last 6 – WDLLWW (Currently 9th in League 1 level pegging with us)

The Odds – Swindon 8/11  Draw 5/2  Port Vale 4/1 I’m not sure the bookies are giving Vale much credit for what they have achieved in the last couple of seasons. Administration in 2012, promotion follows to league 1 through Mickey Adams and they find themselves just a couple of points outside the play off positions on League 1. Longshot of the day has to be the 50/1 that BetFred are offering for Nathan Thompson to score the 1st goal, which is 20’s pretty much everywhere else!

The Son Says –  “Do you remember when we beat them 5-0 and Caddis lifted the trophy”, as if it was 10 years ago. After little deliberation he has opted for a 3-0 home win.

The Prediction – After ending our fantastic home record a couple of weeks back now is the time to put an end to the back to back defeats, and we shall, with a 3-0 victory, goals from Ajose (2) and Ranger. 8088 in attendance with 444 from The Potteries.

And Finally – Port Vale enjoyed the best away support in proportion to home support in the Football League in the 2012–13 season.

COYR COYR COYR
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 00:09:48 »

Great start, as ever, SR.  Hopefully back on track today.  My worry is that we start slowly and the crowd get impatient.  Hopefully a few lessons learned from the last few weeks.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 01:02:12 »

2-1 Town, goals from Ranger and N'Guessan, in front of 7238. C.O.Y.R!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 01:22:03 »

Missing the game today as am in New York.  I still however have a good feeling and am going for a 2-1 win!  COYR
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 01:38:58 »

I was hoping you might have mentioned the Valiants chairman....Norman Smurthwaite....proper norvern name there.

Norm I believe has recently banned The Sentinel from covering PV matches....the equivaliant (I miss Nev) of Jed banning the Adver.  OK some might argue not a bad thing...

Think Norm has suggested that the Sentinel should give him PV, 10K for the privelege
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 02:14:42 »

Missing the game today as am in New York.  I still however have a good feeling and am going for a 2-1 win!  COYR

You're in Rotherham?  Smiley

2-1. Att: 8,006 (306 of them)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 07:14:22 »

I was hoping you might have mentioned the Valiants chairman....Norman Smurthwaite....proper norvern name there.

Norm I believe has recently banned The Sentinel from covering PV matches....the equivaliant (I miss Nev) of Jed banning the Adver.  OK some might argue not a bad thing...

Think Norm has suggested that the Sentinel should give him PV, 10K for the privelege

Privilege, it's privilege.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 08:17:32 »

Normally we steamroller Vale, but I'm not as confident today, I think our chances come down to whether a Pope shits in the CG.

Going for 1-1, attn 7921.
-----

The chairman is quite wrong to ban the local paper, and insanely stupid in its reasons for doing so.

Newcastle have just done the same , though this was over covering anti Mike Ashley demonstrations. Again stupid. newspapers aren't football club bitches there for club propaganda purposes. They report the news. Think the Ashley protests were themself stupid mind.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 08:47:53 »

No good feelings here. Am torn between a dour 0-0 or a disappointing 2-2.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 09:36:32 »

Our mini blip will continue and we'll play out a horribly frustrating 0-0
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 09:45:29 »

Going one stage further with 1-2
Dont have a good feeling today, sooner or later their luck v us will turn and they are not one place behind us in the league for nothing.
Happy to be proved very wrong tho.
Up until Warsaw ( and we know how that went ) all our home games had been v lower table teams so a few tough home ones to come with Vale then Lorient.

Whatever the result a bit more application than was shown last time out would be welcome

8250 overall with 498 of them ( despite them moaning how we think we are still in the championship at £25 a ticket  )
kerry red

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 10:02:30 »

How can anyone think of football when Michael has been topped by the despicable Janine?

Be a grinder of a game, so 1-1 with 7598 in attendance with 447 northern tubbers
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 10:04:55 »

Article about it today - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-24743660 Including the Subbuteo pictures from the Adver.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 10:20:01 »

2-0 Ranger, Ajose
Flashheart

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 10:27:40 »

I'm out on the piss tonight, so I'm guaranteed to miss a great performance and result.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: