Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham Athletic v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 20756 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 23:00:50 »

The Opponent:  Oldham Athletic

So we move on from a morgue-like County Ground to the glamorous North West of England in search of an immediate bounce back from what was a pretty miserable night at home on Tuesday. From my lofty position in The Town End I get to see all sorts of random people behaviour, and the behaviour of a few several nights back was beyond cringeworthy. “Fucking hell Ward you are shit”, “Do something with it Pritchard you useless cunt”, just some of the absurd remarks from just one person. This same person spent 2 years detesting Alan McCormack, no idea why, and with hindsight, perhaps he had a point, but seriously? You know who you are Kojak, he likes to shave his hair off to disguise the fact he is pushing 60, others on ‘the left side’ may know who I am referring too. I only have 3 words for him, PERSPECTIVE you cunt.

Some 7 miles north of Manchester, elevated within The Pennines and lying between the Rivers Irk and Medlock is the location of today’s opponent, Oldham.  Many useless facts are available when it comes to Oldham so we will only focus on the important ones. Yates Wine Lodge, home of many a fond memory for many, was founded in Oldham in 1884 by Peter and Simon Yates. The tubular bandage was invented and developed in Oldham in 1961. That "vital contribution to advancing medical science" resulted from a collaboration between local firm Seton and a cotton manufacturer in the town. Some of Oldham’s more famous folk include cigar chomper, Winston Churchill, comedy, er, legends, Cannon and Ball, Take That dwarf Mark Owen, Funny man Eric Sykes, The man who loves shoving his hand up puppets poopers, Philip Schofield, and not forgetting, Sunita from Coronation Street.

The Last Time We Met Away – Back in December of last year we took all 3 points back from Boundary Park with 2 goals from Rafa De Vita in front of a whopping 3’345 people!

They have served us both –  David Down, Hasney Aljokefree, Adam Rooney, Sam Parkin, Fraser Digby, Don Heath, Paul Edwards, Leon Clarke, Tom Devlin, Andy Todd

Where the opposition gather –

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/forum/1-the-terraces-latics-forum/

Oldham Last 6 – LDLDWWL (Currently 19th on 11 points)

The Odds – Oldham 15/8 Draw 12/5 Swindon 8/5 Let’s hope we can get that all important first goal today and my pittance is likely to be wedged on Ryan Mason at 10/1 with Sky Bet. It must be said this seems a much better bet than the 20/1 being offered on Alan Navarro.

The Son Says –  2-0 Victory. It seems to be his stock answer when he seems a little unsure.

The Prediction – We will bounce back impressively after Tuesday night’s horror show and pick up a hard fought 2-1 victory with goals from Ryan Mason and Nile Ranger, with a crowd of 3’988 and 299 from Swindon.

And Finally – There are claims that Oldham was the birthplace of the first chip shop. The sometimes disputed claim of trade in deep-fried chipped potatoes is said to have been started in around 1858–60 from an outlet owned by a John Lees, on what is the present site of Oldham's Tommyfield Market.  In 1900 Oldham had the highest concentration of chip shops in the country with one chippy for every 400 people!

COYR COYR COYR
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 23:28:02 »

Good work as per usual Rosso  Clap

I've got a good feeling about this!  2-1 Swindon COYR
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 23:37:19 »

I had hoped you'd give a mention to William Cobbett...Oldham's first MP. Just so that Ardiles could feel a little more at ease
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 23:46:36 »

Ryan Mason at 10/1 is a brilliant place to stick a bit of cash. Birthday score of 2-3 for me, Mason and a Ranger double. COYR

sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 23:54:28 »

Does Aljofree auto correct because otherwise there is no excuse.

3-1 defeat
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 05:11:33 »

Hmmm. I think we will struggle again today. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go on a mini poor run now. Think we might come out of this with a 2-0 loss, with Rooney bagging at least one.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 05:51:26 »

I had hoped you'd give a mention to William Cobbett...Oldham's first MP. Just so that Ardiles could feel a little more at ease

Well I never knew that Cobbett had connections up there.  Thanks for the kind thought, Reg.

Setting off for Boundary Park (via Lancaster...long story) in less than an hour.  New ground!  It's only taken me 23 years to get around to it.  So yes, the excitement is genuine!
kerry red

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 06:44:51 »

Coldest ground I have ever been to.

Is it correct that Boundary Park is the highest ground in England?

Banker 1-1 draw today with 3886 in attendance with 8188 from Swindon (seems to be a recurring figure lately)

Hopefully, my new Audrey moniker will be a harbinger of good fortune
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 07:46:34 »

Coldest ground I have ever been to.

Is it correct that Boundary Park is the highest ground in England?

Banker 1-1 draw today with 3886 in attendance with 8188 from Swindon (seems to be a recurring figure lately)

Hopefully, my new Audrey moniker will be a harbinger of good fortune

The Hawthorns is the highest above sea level.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 07:57:36 »

I think Oldham is the coldest ground officially.....all that freezing cold mist flowing over the Pennines..it was certainly fucking freezing when I went in relegation season...just before Austin fucked off.

Lets hope we bounce back and get a result: draw for me...

Clems Army!
kerry red

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:18:54 »

The Hawthorns is the highest above sea level.

Yeah, just googled that. Strange one is that Blundell Park (Grimsby) is only 2 feet above sea level.

So if someone farts in the North Sea they could get swamped
fatbasher

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:19:17 »

Clean sheet would be a result in it's self. So 0-0 for me.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:28:30 »

Going off on a tangent but we're 20th highest above sea level!

HP - http://www.midfielddynamo.com/stadia/england_highest.htm

Back on subject, the curse of the ex player. 1-2.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:30:14 »

Won't be easy and will be interesting to see the formation with McEveley suspended.  Once again I will be completely away from any score updates at my son's birthday party, which provides hope for us getting a result!
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:45:35 »

Won't be easy and will be interesting to see the formation with McEveley suspended.

Agreed, guess Branco might come in if he wants to continue 3 at the back away from home? Then becomes tough to fit both Mason and Pritchard in. Maybe Ajose makes way and Pritchard plays off Ranger up top?

More likely I think he reverts to 4 in defense with Byrne at LB.

Hoping for a draw and us to enable Foderingham to have a quieter 90 mins than he did Tueday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: