Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Walsall Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29481 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, October 21, 2013, 23:00:47 »

The Opponent: Walsall

Only a few short nights ago we gathered under the lights of The County Ground and witnessed, in my opinion, yet another fantastic display of football. I think Flash pointed out a few days back that maybe now is a good time to take stock, 12 games in, some decent form in the cups, and it has to be said, Mark Cooper is doing a decent job. It seems this is the general opinion, I’m sure not everyone thinks so and I have no doubt 4 straight defeats would soon lead to effigies of Cooper and McRory being torched in the bad lands of Cavendish Square, but for me, well done Mark Cooper, credit where credit is due.  I know he doesn’t show his emotions that much in the post match interviews but for a man, with the greatest of respect, with his past record in management, he must be pretty satisfied with what has been achieved so far. A long way to go indeed, but a really good effort so far, and some of the best football I have seen at the County Ground for many years.

The town of Walsall is home to some 180’000 folk, which surprised me, they certainly know how to pack them in up in The West Midlands. Historically, Walsall was part of The County of Staffordshire but now comes under The West Midlands, although to call them Brummies is somewhat wide of the mark as the local dialect is known as Yam Yam, which is shared with other parts of The Black Country. Interestingly, a local landmark is Barr Beacon, which is reportedly the highest point following its latitude eastwards until the Ural Mountains in Russia! Why I never knew this information before now baffles me.  For many years, Walsall was the West Midlands answer to Blackpool with a stunning array of illuminations, which are sadly now a thing of the past due to financial restraints. The local council promised lots of different attractions in its place although nothing has materialised, in all truths, is it possible to squeeze Walsall and attraction in the same sentence?

The Last Time We Met – Back in March we played out a 2-2 draw at The County Ground in front of just over 8’400 with goals from the now departed Andy Williams and Simon Ferry.

They have served us both –  Jimmy Kelly, Jimmy Davies, Iffy, Grant Smith, Paul Smith, Claude Gnapka, Jamie Vincent, Fitzroy Simpson, Peter Eastoe, Willie, Penman, Trevor Benjamin (was there anyone he didn’t play for?)

Where the opposition gather –

http://www.upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43551

Walsall Last 6 – WDDLDW (Currently 9th on 19 points, they have already picked up away wins at Crewe and Wolves so far this season).

The Odds –  Swindon  4/5 Draw 5/2 Walsall 7/2  The wife managed to predict the 2-0 scoreline last Friday evening, sadly we had a grand total of £3 on it, the big bucks was put on the 4-0 scoreline, which after half an hour looked well and truly on the cards!

The Son Says – Another 2-0 home win and a random prediction of 199 away fans. 

The Prediction – Walsall seem a decent enough outfit and have picked up a few decent results a few times this season. I don’t think a few decent results will be enough to see them past us tonight, we have too much up front for most teams, Walsall included. 3-1 with goals from a fit Nathan Thompson, Nile Ranger and Yaser Kasim. 7'722 in attendance with 233 from Walsall.

And Finally –  The town's WW1 cenotaph is located on the site of a bomb which was dropped by Zeppelin 'L 21', killing the town's mayoress, and two others. Damage from the Zeppelin can still be seen on what is now a club on the corner of the main road.

COYR COYR COYR
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 21, 2013, 23:15:55 »

I've got a good feeling about this!  2-1 Swindon COYR
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 21, 2013, 23:32:33 »

Hoping the attendance will be much higher given the price reduction. It's painful being so far away knowing we're playing great football at the moment - here's hoping it continues. Given that I can't make the game, any win will do.

2-1, Luongo and Ajose. 8739.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 21, 2013, 23:40:20 »

i'm convinced this is another clean sheet.  i'm going for 3-0 - pritchard, mason and ajose
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 00:22:29 »

Good write up as per usual, though you did forget one player who served us both  Wink
going for a Town win 2-0 Luongo and Kassim (he's due one soon) crowd will be 8794 with 212 making the trek down

They have served us both –  Jimmy Kelly, Jimmy Davies, Iffy, Grant Smith, Paul Smith, Claude Gnapka, Jamie Vincent, Fitzroy Simpson, Peter Eastoe, Willie, Penman, Trevor Benjamin (was there anyone he didn’t play for?) and Dave Bamber

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 06:11:29 »

3-1 att: 7,907 (it's raining  Sad )
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 06:13:44 »

Entertaining 1-1, the unbeaten run continues. Attn: 7,431
kerry red

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 06:21:04 »

Bit of a toughie tonight, I reckon.

Could edge it 2-1 but not surprised if it's a draw.

I've been prepared to change my name to Audrey if the 10,000 barrier isn't broken tonight - what with the price reductions - so hope this filthy weather eases up by kick off.

sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 06:47:59 »

There were plenty of spare seats available when i got my ticket online on Friday.

4-1 to us
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 06:53:39 »

Normally a tight game at our place. 2-1 either way, If we have an off night. 3-0 win if we don't.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 07:11:35 »

I thought Walsall were the best team that visited the County Ground last season. Should be a lot of fast attacking football on show based on that. Another score draw I reckon where the quality of football compensates for the result.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 07:18:20 »

Walsall are no mugs on the road with 3 wins 2 draws and only 1 defeat so far in the league scoring 7 and conceding only 3.

They won away at Wolves and drew away at Orient.

Has low score draw written all over it for me in front of 7,854 with 673 Warsaw fans.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
REDBUCK

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 07:21:26 »

testing game for the defence tonight. i think they'll defend deep and counter attack quickly. might have to come from behind. Narrow win for us though
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 07:27:21 »

Bit of a toughie tonight, I reckon.

Could edge it 2-1 but not surprised if it's a draw.

I've been prepared to change my name to Audrey if the 10,000 barrier isn't broken tonight - what with the price reductions - so hope this filthy weather eases up by kick off.

Hello Audrey  Bye
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 07:29:04 »

Should be a good game, bit of a bogey side for us at home, hope we win but I think a draw (1-1) will be the outcome, weather expected to clear up a bit for tonight, so 8,366 fans to watch a good game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: