Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Buying a brand new house  (Read 6092 times)
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 14:32:10 »

Just a word of advice - I moved from a 1960's house to a 1990's house and the build quality is nowhere close to being comparable. The older house was a solid the new house was just thrown up, stud walls chip, board floors etc. Give the upstairs walls a bit of a knock and you'll understand.

THis, with new build houses

- room sizes may be big (since they are often three storey)
 - some of the fittings and finishes might be good quality, e.g the built in appliances, door handles etc are good quality..
BUT
 - as bewsters and arriba allude to, build quality is poor, very flimsy feel to them.
 - plot sizes are often paltry, garden sizes small, often no front garden at all
 - new estates seem to be quite transient, lots of poeple moving in and out all the time e.g. little in the way of a settled neighbourly community feel
 - new estates are like rabbit warrens, tiny roads, little or no footpaths, little open space, all adds to the feeling of claustraphobia

This is my experience, others may disagree.

As a footnote, this is one of my gripes with modern life. With a combination of three storey houses and tiny plots, housebuilders are now getting say 5 houses on a plot of land where they previously may have got 1. Now either housebuilders are making a shed load of money or land prices have rocketed. Which is it?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 14:42:55 by jimmy_onions » Logged
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 16:44:41 »

THis, with new build houses

- room sizes may be big (since they are often three storey)
 - some of the fittings and finishes might be good quality, e.g the built in appliances, door handles etc are good quality..
BUT
 - as bewsters and arriba allude to, build quality is poor, very flimsy feel to them.
 - plot sizes are often paltry, garden sizes small, often no front garden at all
 - new estates seem to be quite transient, lots of poeple moving in and out all the time e.g. little in the way of a settled neighbourly community feel
 - new estates are like rabbit warrens, tiny roads, little or no footpaths, little open space, all adds to the feeling of claustraphobia

This is my experience, others may disagree.

As a footnote, this is one of my gripes with modern life. With a combination of three storey houses and tiny plots, housebuilders are now getting say 5 houses on a plot of land where they previously may have got 1. Now either housebuilders are making a shed load of money or land prices have rocketed. Which is it?
The former
fatbasher

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 19:21:43 »

The former

Due to the latter.
Gethimout

« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 14:20:52 »

Has anyone had any experience in Nationwides Save to Buy Mortgage?

Me and missus are looking to buy next year and will only have about £15k as a deposit.

Just looking about and stumbled on this account with Nationwide. Any help greatly appriciated!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 15:43:51 »

You mean Help to Buy? Nationwide are a pretty good lender. Quick turnaround times and generous affordability criteria.

If you want to have a chat about mortgages, send me a PM.
Gethimout

« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 16:01:43 »

You mean Help to Buy? Nationwide are a pretty good lender. Quick turnaround times and generous affordability criteria.

If you want to have a chat about mortgages, send me a PM.

Cheers Samdy! It's something we're gonna look into.. obviously pretty new to all of it so it's a little daunting!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 25, 2013, 16:46:48 »

In the process of buying a new build at the moment. It's all jolly exciting.

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: