Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Chelsea Official Matchday Thread  (Read 53658 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:01:04 »

The Opponent: Chelsea

The day has finally arrived, I have been looking forward to it for a while, watching endless middle class rugby followers stare at the matchday ticket like its a pissed on winning lottery ticket, wandering round the noble Town End like its the opening of a new branch of Ikea, and you can almost guarantee that the anoraked version of  The Swiss Family Robinson will be sat in my seats, the same fucking seats I have had for 12 years. I am quite looking forward to the football too. I don’t have many pre match beers it must be said, but work allowing, I shall partake in a few this evening, bit of a long shot but does the cricket club open up at all? Most of the talk has been about what kind of team will Jose put out, Torres? Terry? Lampard? Mata? Who knows apart from the manager formally known as The Special One.  For me, I would rather the few hundred that make the long journey to Preston on Saturday bring the 3 points back with them than a win tonight, although I wouldn’t grumble if we could manage a City/Chelsea/Preston treble.

Now Chelsea have a squad, we all know the household names, but such is the depth of the squad at Mourinho’s disposal they currently have 11 of them out on loan (Moses and Lakaku to name but a few), and some 14 of their academy players, including Patrick Bamford, currently plying his trade for Franchise. Roman Abramovich has now owned the club for 10 years, and last year’s accounts showed the first profit Chelsea FC plc had made under his ownership, totalling £1.4 million. It is said Abramovich has lent Chelsea nearly £800 million in interest free loans and has played a major part in turning Chelsea in to a global brand during his time in control, although its funny that they can’t get a better shirt sponsor than us. Taking a look through Chelsea’s player of the year list it does make impressive reading, names such as Bonetti, Drogba, Gullit, Lampard (3 times) and the fantastic Gianfranco Zola stick out, however, in 1998 it must have been a poor year by Chelsea’s high standards, following the decision to award that boss eyed little turd, Dennis Wise, with the accolade. The winner of the award for the last 2 years, Juan Mata, seems to have issues with The Special One, having found himself dropped frequently, The Telegraph alleging  that it is simply down to Mata’s dashing good looks pissing off Jose somewhat!

The Last Time We Met At – The County Ground -  New Years Day, 1994, just over 16’000 squeezed in to the CG to see us beaten 3-1, with our only goal coming from Andy Mutch. One of the players to score for Chelsea that day was the aforementioned Wise.

They have served us both – Glenn Hoddle, Sam Parkin, Rhys Evans, Alan Mayes, Duncan Shearer, Gus Poyet, Dennis Wise, Tom Jones and Micky Hazard. Adi Viveash has been the youth team coach at Stamford Bridge for the last 2 years.

Where the opposition gather –

http://www.theshedend.com/topic/24554-swindon-v-chelsea-lc-240913-ko-1945-gmt/page-2

“With absolutely no respect to Swindon whatsoever, we should destroy them. I won't accept anything less than a win by a margin of at least 4 goals”.

Chelsea Last 6 – WWWDLW (Currently 4th in The Premier League)

The Odds – Swindon  9/1 Draw 7/2  Chelsea 2/5 (William Hill). First goalscorer – Eto'o/Torres/Ba all around 7/2, Lampard/Hazard/Oscar/Mata around  6/1, Ranger/Ajose/N’Guessan around 9/1 although shop around and N’Guessan pays a more generous 20/1.

The Son Says – Its the first time he really has had to make a decision with more than just his heart. Even the wife chipped in with a 2-1 win prediction. At first he said 5-0 Chelsea, then realised the importance of what he said and opted for a 3-3 draw, lord only knows what happens after that.

The Prediction – I would love to be bullish about this, rouse the troops etc, but this is Chelsea for fuck sake. 2-1 Swindon, Nile Ranger scoring a late double in front of 14’671 with around 2922 from the leafy suburbs of Surrey. We are going to pass it round them, displaying our total football credentials. Di Canio will appear on Sky Sports News on Wednesday saying it was all down to him.

And Finally - Stamford Bridge was designed by the noted football architect Archibald Leitch, who had also designed Ibrox, Celtic Park and Hampden Park. Most football clubs were founded first, and then sought grounds in which to play, but Chelsea were founded for Stamford Bridge.

COYR COYR COYR

« Last Edit: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:07:22 by Shaw Rosso » Logged
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:11:56 »

I don't generally make predictions, but Ward is going to look slow. Very very slow.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:12:47 »

Couldn't care less about the score tomorrow... City on Saturday was what following Town is all about. Just hope we don't embarrass ourselves, play some good stuff, and get stuck in.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
fatbasher

« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:13:38 »

8-0 Maybe near the mark if they score early and we go to pieces.

So for me no more than 0-3 and I'll consider that a moral victory. 15302 with 3020 from Sloane Square. As an Islington boy the ghost of Arsenal hopes we stuff them too.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:16:26 »

Shall enjoy a quiet evening sat watching this on the tellybox with a couple of ciders. Couldn't get the day off work to make it to Swindon, so will just have to shout at the telly instead.

Heart says 2-1 Swindon, head says Rugby score Chelski (something around 5-0 probs). Near full house, somewhere around 14,987.

What's our capacity now, out of interest?
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:24:27 »

I'm really looking forward to this, I've got a mate that I met last winter in France coming, I've turned him into a bit of a closet Town fan since he watched Yeovil with me.  He's looking forward to it almost as much as I am and may even buy a shirt.

I'm hoping for something to cheer at least, a score of 2-4 wouldn't be so bad, especially if we get a few spells where we actually demonstrate what we're all about.  A good atmosphere is a must tonight, let them know they're in a cup tie and we want it more than they do.

I wonder if Mata will try to impress Jose or whether he'll not bother turning it on as he knows he's not in his plans at the moment.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:37:01 »

I'm really looking forward to this, I've got a mate that I met last winter in France coming, I've turned him into a bit of a closet Town fan since he watched Yeovil with me.  He's looking forward to it almost as much as I am and may even buy a shirt

I've got a couple of mates I've converted. Last season I won the lottery in my football club at uni as to who gets to choose the shirts, so everyone had to buy Swindon ones. One of my team mates was from Oxford and was disgusted by it.  Cheesy
Bovis Messroom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 00:05:01 »

As a visiting fan been looking forward to this game since the draw.  Reckon it'll be much closer than many might think, afterall  despite sitting 4th in the PL our form has been haphazard at best, played very well against probably the best club side around in the Super Cup Final, absolutely dreadful against Basel. And we were fortunate to escape from Griffin Park with a draw last season too. The inevitable amount of player changes also make this hard to decide which Chelsea will turn up, literally.  Luiz is likely to start so there's a goal potential for Town right away. Visited Swindon last year and passed by the County Ground.  Seeing 'proper' floodlights again brought back happy memories of descending on unfamiliar towns and citys and looking out for those landmarks in years gone by.  I'll take quality banter and 2-1 for us right now.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 01:23:10 »

you'll take it up the arse like all all good visitors - welcome to the TEF you cunt
Will_Always_Be_a_Town_Fan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 04:58:57 »

Morning gents and ladies!

This is a bit of an odd request and I hope I get the response I'm after but I'm not holding my breath! As a lifelong STFC fan living away, I struggle to get back to home games and as I live near london have to wait for the 5/6 games a year in and around london, besides away games are generally more fun, except of course Orient, why can we never score?Huh?

I didn't plan on coming to tonight's match as the clamber for tickets was always going to make it difficult for real town fans, especially distant ones to enjoy this one.

Here, however is my dilemma...... As a barman in a quiet local with many regulars, I managed to get hold of a ticket without having to pay more than the face value of the ticket. Unfortunately, my ticket is in the Chelsea end. Are there any chelski fans out there with a town ticket that would like to swap. I would even sit in the north stand!!!!

If I fail to get anywhere with this plea then I will be watching the game VERY quietly, but at the very least I will be watching one of the biggest matches of our recent history, well, since Saturday!!!!

COYR!!!!
kerry red

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:00:01 »

I'[b]ve [/b]got a couple of mates I'[b]ve [/b]converted. Last season I won the lottery in my football club at uni as to who gets to choose the shirts, so everyone had to buy Swindon ones. One of my team mates was from Oxford and was disgusted by it.  Cheesy
:gay:

My wishlist for the game is

No injuries
No sending offs
No trouncing
Score a goal
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:14:14 by kerry red » Logged
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:22:24 »

that boss eyed little turd, Dennis Wise

Haha love it. Great write up as always SR.

1-3 tonight I reckon, just hope the crowd doesn't go too quiet if they start dominating us early on. Looking forward to the evening immensely though, not often we get to welcome teams of this calibre to the CG lately and it's a chance to show people what we're about - even in likely defeat.

C.O.Y.R
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:25:38 »

10-0.

To us.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:43:57 »

I'll be happy if they score less than 5 and we score at least one.

Mourinhio sides don't do trouncings, so we've got that going for us

Things get better but they never get good
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:01:30 »

Not fussed whatsoever about the result so long as we don't look like rabbits caught in headlights which is a very real possibility with this squad IMO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: