Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Speeding abroad  (Read 3776 times)
blah blah

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:41:00 »

Got a letter through the other day, all in Spanish, but I could work out that it was telling me that they had photographed my hire care speeding, 135km/h in a 120 zone while on holiday last month (about 10mph over the limit !)

Anyone been caught speeding abroad before ? I was wondering how much effort they are likely to put into tracking me down if I ignore it. Also, could it have any implications if I go there again in the next couple of years ? I suspect most hire car companies probably dont pass drivers details on to police or the Spanish DVLA equivalent for checking, or do they ? Or will the hire car company become liable and start to track me down or even charge my credit card, probably with a ridiculous "admin fee" added to it ?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:45:39 »

How did they get your address, If not from the hire company?
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:54:10 »

I meant, if I dont pay it, but go back in a year or 2, will the outstanding fine flag up somewhere on a database when my license details are entered next time
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:56:52 »

How much was the fine?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:59:12 »

If it came from the hire company my guess would be yes
pvsmark

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 15:09:56 »

I had the same issue but just paid as it was a hire car they had my card details so probably would have charged me anyway.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 15:11:23 »

Fine was €100, but I think it might be reduced if I pay it within a certain amount of time (could translate that bit very well though).

If I use a different hire company next time, will it still flag up ?
Levi lapper

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 15:23:54 »

We have an extradition treaty with Spain, I expect Interpol will be putting your picture up at British ports as we speak.

Seriously, they have your address, it's not like the Spanish economy is so flush they won't want your cash. It will bite you in th arse in the future if you don't pay, and likely cost you much more IMHO
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 15:35:54 »

Yeah if it was your own car they wouldn't bother chasing you, but as it's a hire I'd probably pay up to head off any future problems.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 15:37:53 »

Can you/they be sure it was at a time you had hired it? Basically, did you speed?  Smiley
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 16:03:24 »

I actually thought I was quite good - used the cruise control a lot set to 120 ish.

Think you are right though, especially if I'm in time to get the reduced fine, its probably worth it just in case.

The pohotos have the time & date on and yes it was while I was there. Although I havent double checked the reg number was the one I had
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 17:25:36 »

Avis just sent me a letter saying I'd be receiving a parking fine from the authorities - probably for about 15 euros - and informing me that they've charged 35 euros to my credit card for their admin. Highway robbery. I feel like taking a sledgehammer to their fleet.

Bad Mood

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 17:26:20 »

I meant, if I dont pay it, but go back in a year or 2, will the outstanding fine flag up somewhere on a database when my license details are entered next time

Think so. I got caught in Australia, paid up as soon as the fine came through as I don't want the embarrassment if I ever go back.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 18:53:21 »

Not a speeding offence as such but pulled by the gendarmes at a peage many moons ago.
They noticed a descrpencey(spolling) on the tacho chart and fined me 200 ff.
After i  said "at least Dick Turpin wore a mask you French cunt" the fine was increased to 300 ff.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 18:59:42 »

Not a speeding offence as such but pulled by the gendarmes at a peage many moons ago.
They noticed a descrpencey(spolling) on the tacho chart and fined me 200 ff.
After i  said "at least Dick Turpin wore a mask you French cunt" the fine was increased to 300 ff.

I hope that's true, and also 100 franks well spent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: