Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Queens Park Rangers v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29314 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 23:00:03 »

The Opponent:   Queens Park Rangers

I really want to go to this one, old ‘Arry could put out a team that we are capable of competing with (especially with him being an ex-Spurs manager), although he is just as likely to put out a team that may well wipe the floor with us. Either way, I want to be there, just in case it turns into one of those special nights. The only thing that is stopping me is a huge pile of garden waste in Cirencester booked in for around 4pm, but the chances of getting that shifted in time to get away and join the exodus along the M4 are somewhat slimmer than a vegetarians fart.

After passing our way passed Turkey in round 1 of The COC, we were handed an away tie with QPR, some seeing it as a dreadful draw, others as a great draw and the rest not that fussed either way.  I have always enjoyed Loftus Road, my first visit was with my Manchester City supporting sister back in the 80’s and I can vaguely remember thinking at the time that it was a proper football stadium, even though it had a plastic pitch. It was claimed that then manager Terry Venables would let opposition teams train on the pitch when it was dry, and then deliberately dampen the pitch so that the ball played differently to what they expected at kick off. I never had Venables down as dodgy!

QPR hold the title of having had the most home grounds in football league history and have had a somewhat nomadic existence, having played in 16 different locations throughout northwest London since their formation. The several grounds before 1886 are unknown but were probably in the Queens Park area. QPR have a fantastic selection of famous supporters, especially in the musical world, including names such as Druggie waster Pete Doherty, Glen Matlock, Depeche Modes Alan Wilder, Easyjet boss Stellios with the long surname, and my personal favourite, Eddie Hitler, from the BBC sitcom, Bottom.

They’ve served for both of us -  Paul Hart, Peter Eastoe, Giles Coke, Eric Sabin, Ossie Ardiles, David Kerslake, Leon Clarke, Fraser Digby, Don Rogers and Charlie Austin.

Where the opposition gather –

http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?11-QPR-FANS&s=ea55a677aa4c1c888debbe24e5059852

Last 6 – LLWDWW

The Odds –  QPR 4/7   Draw   14/5   Swindon 5/1. Its been a while since we have had odds of 5/1, worth a punt? Our lowest priced first goalscorer is Nile Ranger, generally at 10/1. Ahead of him for QPR is Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson, Shaun Wright Phillips, Mo Shariff, Junior Hoillet, and of course, Charlie Austin, as short as 11/4 in some outlets. Perhaps its worth making a few quid out of the inevitable?

The Son Says –  “As they are quite a good team” he first opted for 1-1, then ended up at 2-2. Town to win on penalties though.

The Prediction – Tough one this. QPR are full of Premier League players, seasoned internationals and are managed by one of the highest rated coaches in the business. On this basis we will thrash them 1-0. Goal scored by Massimo Luongo, 7’888 in attendance with 878 making the journey to Shepherds Bush.

And Finally –  In the last 5 years QPR have had no less than 10 different managers, the most successful being the longest serving manager in that time, Neil Warnock, who managed to win 33 of his 81 games in charge. Talk about consistency!

COYR COYR COYR
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 07:09:14 »

Top write up as always SR.

Think we'll play well, drawing compliments from whoever's watching our game on SSN and from 'Arry, but ultimately lose, 2-0.

Looking forward to it though and hopefully be a good night for our 1,642 travelling fans.
Red Jed

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 07:31:38 »

A heavy defeat today I am afraid probably 3-0.

Hopefully we can take about 1,800 to 2,000 there to cheer us on though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 07:39:15 »

We will get dicked 4 0 if they take it seriously.

We have a very outside chance if they don't.

This squad isn't yet at the level of last year's Stoke conquerors. And I can't see ranger playing two 90 minute in a few days so I don't think we'll have anything to hurt them with.
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 07:48:40 »

I think, as always, we'll up our game against higher opposition and will score first. Come full time it will be 2-1 though.

Looking forward to my first visit to Loftus Road, just hope we make some noise as I've heard it's become a bit of a library there.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 08:24:51 »

Really looking forward to this one, first visit to Loftus Road. I just hope our fans don't sit in silence for 90 minutes.

I can see us struggling tonight, reckon we could see a few goals go in unless they rest a lot of their first team.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 08:48:18 »

Hoping my lift doesn't have to stay at work late... Making this is currently hanging in the balance Sad

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:32:06 »

I wonder if there is another ground in the country with a "Swindon Street" just round the corner !!!!!!! Just noticed it when working out my walking route....

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:40:09 »

Hoping my lift doesn't have to stay at work late... Making this is currently hanging in the balance Sad

I can take you if you get stuck mate.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:45:18 »

I am leaving at 4pm from Calne.

I have two spaces.

Pick up Calne - Bassett - Town - M4 Corridor.

Message me if you need a lift.

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:47:35 »

I wonder if there is another ground in the country with a "Swindon Street" just round the corner !!!!!!! Just noticed it when working out my walking route....

I doubt it...just round the corner from Batman Close.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:49:38 »

Yeah I've got two spaces at present if anyone is desperately stuck, leaving from North Swindon via Lydiard Millicent. Don't mind travelling a bit out to get people if they are struggling.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:50:18 »

I can take you if you get stuck mate.

Dude would you have room for me + 1?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:50:37 »

It's the only one in London.  Spotted that before as well.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 09:53:03 »

It's the only one in London.  Spotted that before as well.

What about Swindon Close in Ilford?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: