Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows failing to start  (Read 2952 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 13:30:41 »

Last week my computer automatically installed some Windows updates (on Windows 7). On Saturday when I switched my laptop on, it got to the blue 'Welcome' screen and then just gave me an entirely light blue screen with nothing on it (not BSOD), like it had gone to start loading Windows and then got stuck early in the process.

So I turned the laptop off by the power button, booted up in safe mode and did a system restore to a couple of days previous (17th). Thought nothing more of it really, until I turned the laptop on the day after and the same thing happened. I decided it must have been the Windows update causing it as when I went to do the system restore again I noticed that the restore point read like this:

Date and time     Description          Type
17/07/13           Windows update   Critical Update

What I wanted to do at this point was disable automatic updates but I couldn't see the option when in safe mode, so I restored the computer and then disabled the automatic updates.

But then it happened again. I booted up the laptop and I got a blue, partially loaded Windows. Tried running trouble shooters, they just say they can't run and have to close, tried doing system restore again but my original point (17th) has gone and the two dates I did have (20th and 22nd) were erased when a system restore failed. I do have one with the date of 22nd on there again now but don't see what the point in using it would be.

I've tried using the Event Viewer to see if something has changed in my drivers over the last week but the Event Viewer says 'MMC could not load the snap-in'. So I tried finding a solution to that, and what I have found thus far has not fixed it, so I'm still none the wiser as to why Event Viewer won't work.

I tried all the restore options windows gives you, memory checkers etc, nothing. I've run out of ideas at this point. Can anyone help me? There could well be a pint in your future if so.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 13:38:55 »

Have you tried turning it off, waiting 30 seconds and the turning it back on again?
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 13:45:31 »

Have you tried turning it off, waiting 30 seconds and the turning it back on again?

Yes. Same thing happens.

Although typically now I've tried it again, it has actually loaded up properly  Embarrassed

Whether it will continue to do so I don't know. Out of interest, why did that work?

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 13:48:18 »

Sounds like you need to do a repair install. If it's a fairly new laptop (assuming it is as you have Win7) there's probably a recovery partition on the hard drive rather than a CD.

Google should help you find how to get to the recovery/repair menu. Usually one of the F keys whilst booting.
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 08:03:16 »

And here's me, back at square one  Hmmm...

Loaded up the computer this morning, straight back to light blue screen. Tried turning it off and waiting 30 seconds again, no good. In any case I can't go through this rigmarole every time I want to use my laptop. Any more ideas?

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 08:11:08 »

You need to do what Samdy says, do a complete reinstall of Windows.

Usually thats from a boot partition on the hard drive, when it boots up press alt+F10 on start up or alt+F11 depending on the make and do a reinstall, you will lose all of your data etc thats on there though if you havent backed it up, sounds like a dodgy update has corrupted Windows System Files.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 08:13:39 »

Boo. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Thanks guys.

Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 08:45:35 »

Not that I would accuse you of anything, but is your copy of 7 legit? I've had experience in the past with a similar problem (It was on a friend of a friend of a friend's computer, which he got off a market stall run by a shady man in a hooded cape...) where Windows auto-installs an 'update' that's actually pretty much just 'if you're pirated, shut down and don't work'. Only real option is to first attempt a re-install like the guys said and lose your data, or, if that doesn't work, wipe the whole HDD and start again with a fresh copy of Windows/Linux.

If you've got a hard drive enclosure you could try using that to save some of the data off of it if you need it- they're cheap as chip's on amazon et al.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 11:55:59 »

have you tried a repair before you do a full re-install?
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 15:42:01 »

have you tried a repair before you do a full re-install?

I've tried all the repair options I can find, they either won't work or find no problems.

Laptop loaded up this afternoon but I doubt this will last, just backing up the last of my data and will then attempt to re-install.

And Honky - it is legit, my last laptop came with Vista and I managed to get a dodgy copy of 7 off of a mate, which lasted for a while before flagging up as pirated. I had to go back to Vista - I was almost pleased when that laptop developed a fault which wasn't worth fixing!

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 18:16:14 »

If you put the windows disc and boot to it there is an option to repair install (not re-install). Or it should be an option if you can boot to windows and then run the disc from there.

In theory it won't affect your data files. But as you're already in the process of backing them up a full format and re-install will be best now.
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 18:26:13 »

Yeah I've done a recovery thingy now using the recovery partition. So I'm now working with a clean slate (ish, thanks to ASUS' pre-loaded software), which is nice. It's like moving house, an opportunity to get rid of accumulated crap and tidy up a bit. Cheers guys.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: