Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jerel Ifil  (Read 3182 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 21:08:16 »

In the past King has made some really weird decision with regards to players and positions...

Does anyone think Ifil would be better in another position other than centre back, he looks good running forward. If his final ball wasnt so awful I think he would make a good winger really, he would frighten people when he ran at them...

Just me?!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 21:12:43 »

I said at some point last season that he'd be less of a libility in midfield, he'd win the ball higher up the pitch for us than any one else could, and may even be able to make some late runs into the box with his pace, CM for me though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 21:23:51 »

I spose Marcel Desailly played in midfield as well as centre back...normally though you do it the other way round, because centre half is easier to play than central midfield.

Lou tried it with  Colin Calderwood for a while  he scored a couple of goals in successive games, but was largely clueless there.

I'd give Jerel 20 mins before he saw red there.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 21:35:08 »

i'd probably keep him in centre defence....
McLovin

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 21:36:16 »

i would shove him at full back... he'd do less damage to us there, and can go marauding down the wing...
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 23:37:35 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
i would shove him at full back... he'd do less damage to us there, and can go marauding down the wing...

seconded

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 10:42:30 »

Ifil is a good player, but doesn't look happy as part of a back two.  Whilst this is a dodgy comparison, I would say he resembles a Rio Ferdinand in the early part of his career, and thus would benefit immensely from being part of a back three (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he play there or right wing-back when he impressed on loan for us)?

Whilst I strongly advocated the switch to 4-4-2 during our playoff season, it seems odd I'm calling for a return to the dreaded 3-5-2, but it seems the way to go with the personnel we've got.  With O'Hanlon and Reeves slotting alongside Ifil he would benefit immensely from their (particularly Reeves') experience and would have someone to mop up his mistakes.  In time perhaps he'd be ready for a back four.

I'd play:

GK : R.Evans
DC : J.Ifil
DC : A.Reeves (capt)
DC : S.O'Hanlon
MR : R.Shakes
ML : N.Nicholau
MC : G.Whalley
MC : S.Miglioranzi
AMC : C.Roberts
FC : R.Fallon
FC : T.Thorpe

Subs:
M.Bulman
S.Jenkins
M.Pook
J.Cureton
J.Smith

Obviously that lineup is pretty attacking - switching Roberts for Smith and putting Smith in a defensive midfield role would tighten it up for away games.  Obviously Shakes' and Nicholau's defensive abilities are not what they are renowned for so this would rely on some extra work in this area in training - or the aquiring of an effective defensive midfield player.

It seems odd changing formation to accomodate 2 players (Roberts and Ifil), but at least this way no one is being asked to do a job they aren't capable of.
JMH75

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 11:07:55 »

Ifil mazy run very late on against Oldham was one of the highlights of the game. Cheesy

Never looked to have complete control of the ball but managed to take the ball from his own box to the Oldham half leaving 4 Oldham players stranded.

I think he then passed it to Whalley who gave it straight back to Oldham leaving poor old Jerel to peg it back to cover.

I think he would do well in midfield, as he would probably feel less pressured and would hopefully eradicate those 'school boy errors' that we know him for.

I take Reg's point on board though he could see a few cards.
 :shock:

----------------------

I'm back!

-----------------------
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 11:12:10 »

ifils run last season was better! ran the whole lenght of the pitch basically then fell over when he shot...one of the best moments all season!  Soapy Tit Wank
JMH75

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 11:13:57 »

Quote from: "Johno"
ifils run last season was better! ran the whole lenght of the pitch basically then fell over when he shot...one of the best moments all season!  Soapy Tit Wank

You're right that was superb.

Who was that against again?

----------------------

I'm back!

-----------------------
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 11:22:30 »

i can't remember....bradford came to mind? don't think it was that game though.
santini

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 11:51:38 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
Jerel can't handle it without  defenders either side of him to tell him what to do and when to do it. Remember Stockport last season when he was put to RB in a reshuffle and was clueless? He needs less freedom, not more.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 12:04:29 »

He needs to be on the bench.
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 12:29:49 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
 I think that will eventually happen if he keeps making errors, but I would like to see him as a centre mid sitting just in front of the backline.
Melksham Red

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 11, 2005, 12:36:02 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"

I think so aswell. He's too error prone. He certainly shouldn't be played in midfield, he's too dumb. Headless chicken springs to mind.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: