Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How much should football cost?  (Read 3968 times)
flammableBen

Ignore
« on: Friday, June 28, 2013, 23:24:46 »

A 3d film will cost you less than a tenner each; a gig will cost you anywhere from £15 upwards; theatre varies from shit at the art centre to even shittier london musicals, but tends to be a but more; same with comedy (although that can be cheap too).

Sorry, that was a mess of punctuation.

How much should football cost? A football game. 90+ mins of live improvised performance of questionable quality.

At Swindon's current level I'd argue that more than a tenner is bad value for money. And I quite like watching football.

I'm as much intrigued on how much people would actually pay? Football has lived off the 'fans' for a long time, and I understand that for a club like Swindon it's better getting X paying £20 than 1.5X paying a tenner. But it all still feels wrong.

Love you all x
DMR

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 00:46:53 »

You haven't been to the cinema in a while, Suoerman 3D set me back about 25 notes for 2.

And the only post-cinema ejaculation was self induced.

Bitch
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 01:21:54 »

It kind of depends where you are...Swindon is in a strange place at the moment, low wage economy, and a lot of people tied into debt for homes and cars etc...which means large numbers have little disposable income..so £20 is a big hit, and as you can see from the response on here....they could always go in the TE for £15, but it's still £15.
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 08:24:50 »

If people want to compare football with, for example, the theatre, then the luvvies prices flucutate with the supposed entertainment being offered.

Some big name board-shufflers will mean increased prices - some washed-up old poof, less so.

If the same method of pricing was applied to football, and STFC in particular, then last year was good value - the coming year less so.

The season should start off at a tenner and increase incrementally with performances and league position.

Does anybody know whether the tenner being charged by Bradford for the last few seasons actually improved their turnstile take seeing as their attendances were around 10,000?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 11:02:07 »

It kind of depends where you are...Swindon is in a strange place at the moment, low wage economy, and a lot of people tied into debt for homes and cars etc...which means large numbers have little disposable income..so £20 is a big hit, and as you can see from the response on here....they could always go in the TE for £15, but it's still £15.

£25 & £19
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 11:10:42 »

Bradford have the luxury of a massive ground they were never going to fill in the lower leagues, so they captalised on that to try and create a culture of everyone going to football. We don't have that luxury, even at the ridiculous prices of £25 for the sides and £19 in The Town End, the home end is still 75% full for most games.

If you're looking at what football SHOULD cost then you're probably looking Premiership £40, Championship £30, League 1 £20, League 2 £10 but it doesn't like work out like that because of how silly the player wages have gotten. Really is unsustainable.

There was a survey done not long ago comparing the rise in ticket prices since the 80s in comparison to the other things football fans might buy like a designer jacket, pack of fags, pint of beer, etc. and it was staggering.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 11:14:27 »

£25 & £19

I conflated the Spurs friendly debate and the general question posed by fB....lengthy session  Pint
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 11:16:28 »

The fact that we'd all consider £5 less than the price now as too much says it all really.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 11:37:23 »

I think it is unfair on away fans that they have to pay £25 for a seat in the Arkelle, which is one of the most expensive in League 1.

However football is a buissness and if people are willing to pay why shouldn't the clubs be able to capitalise on it?

Personally I think we should go for the german approach and priorities fans, after all football without the fans is almost nothing

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
DRS

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 11:40:20 »

I think it is unfair on away fans that they have to pay £25 for a seat in the Arkelle, which is one of the most expensive in League 1.

However football is a buissness and if people are willing to pay why shouldn't the clubs be able to capitalise on it?

Personally I think we should go for the german approach and priorities fans, after all football without the fans is almost nothing
That is all good and well,are you going to arrange for our local council to heavily fund us though to enable us to follow that model.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 11:59:21 »

I didn't mean completely follow the german approach, but in german football where fans have the majority say in the decisions that the club make, allow clubs to have safe standing, and it doesn't nessererily have to be completely funded by the local counsil, there are plenty of sponsership deals availible, and once the systems are in place the clubs, as in Germany all pretty much run at a large healthy profit.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 12:02:53 »

I didn't mean completely follow the german approach, but in german football where fans have the majority say in the decisions that the club make, allow clubs to have safe standing, and it doesn't nessererily have to be completely funded by the local counsil, there are plenty of sponsership deals availible, and once the systems are in place the clubs, as in Germany all pretty much run at a large healthy profit.

Wrong.

It's All Good..............
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 12:04:38 »

http://espnfc.com/columns/story/_/id/1484029/uli-hesse-real-state-german-football-finances?cc=5739#

It's All Good..............
DRS

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 12:04:48 »

They really don't though. Here is a very interesting article on it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2143867/German-football-efficiency-The-Bundesliga-Martin-Samuel.html
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 12:47:55 »

Those articles are interesting, I am often told how it is the superior system, but it is now clear to me that the flaws of the system are hidden.
Thanks for providing this information

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: