Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's the scam here?  (Read 3977 times)
kerry red

« on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 11:30:39 »

I'm looking to buy a quality second hand estate - BMW, Merc etc.

Logged on to Auto Trader and came upon a site called Bucks Motors in High Wycombe.

There are a number of ads, each with a different personal email to contact if interested.

Well who wouldn't be when a low mileage 2008 BMW 320 is up for less than 2 grand.

All these ads are selling quality, low mileage cars for less than 2 grand.

Trying to think what the scam could be. All cars have their plates displayed, so am able to check
TungstenCarbide

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 11:37:52 »

Does sound a wee bit "too good to be true" - surely should be closer to £4k than £2k.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 11:41:50 »

Probably those cars aren't really available but because they are so cheap they go to first in the list when you are searching.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 12:29:55 »

I know someone who thought they bought a caravan on autotader and lost £10,000, went on their website and clicked on a link (the caravan that is selling) displaying the company website. Phoned a number agreed the price and then decided to buy before actually seeing the caravan.
No address, and £10,000 out of pocket.

Be careful.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
nochee

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 12:32:45 »

I know someone who thought they bought a caravan on autotader and lost £10,000, went on their website and clicked on a link (the caravan that is selling) displaying the company website. Phoned a number agreed the price and then decided to buy before actually seeing the caravan.

Be careful.

Be careful, or just use common sense.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 12:35:32 »

Yeah common sense,

But it's easy for someone to get excited by a deal and make a rash decision.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 12:36:48 »

But it's easy for someone to get excited by a deal and make a rash decision.

im looking at you paolo
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 12:51:50 »

Be careful.

Gypos in my humble opinion.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 12:54:28 »

Anyone who buys anything like a car or caravan without viewing is insane. Ebay is usually where the shit cars and caravans are sold due to cheap listings. Autotrader tends to be better but as always there are dodgy cunts using it,just not as many as Ebay.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 13:21:19 »

Anyone who buys anything like a car or caravan without viewing is insane. Ebay is usually where the shit cars and caravans are sold due to cheap listings. Autotrader tends to be better but as always there are dodgy cunts using it,just not as many as Ebay.
When I advertised my car on there last year I found plenty of dodgy cunts trying to buy it!!  All asking me to confirm condition and mileage, then agreeing my price and asking me to forward my bank details so they could transfer the money in to my bank account and their agent would contact me to collect the car!!  I didn't even answer after the third one, and that cunt came back and said all seemed good, give me your bank details etc.  Be careful out there!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 21:01:15 »

And make sure if they are cheap they aren't insurance category write-offs, or at least know what you are buying if they are.

To be honest too cheap to be true, different email addresses, I think that would put me off enough to look no further.
kerry red

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 22, 2013, 21:04:17 »

I logged back on and, surprise surprise, all the cars I had been looking at were no longer advertised.

I'm off to Calne tomorrow to buy a BMW 520 estate
kerry red

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 09:20:38 »

Very strange. The cars which all disappeared from Bucks Motors yesterday have now all reappeared on a website for Popeswood Garage in Binfield.

The 2 websites are visually different but the text used is exactly the same on both.

Neither sites actually had any cars for sale - just the ones with individual emails to contact if interested

Stinks for sure
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 09:33:45 »

These two websites look VERY VERY similar to me:

http://www.bucks-motors.co.uk/
http://www.popeswoodgarage.co.uk/

Could have co-incidentally used the same tool to create the sites I suppose. Both sites have been registered for a few years, but that doesn't make them genuine. They could have been hacked too I suppose.

Anyway, if it looks look poop, smells like poop it probably is poop.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 09:42:34 by Batch » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 10:01:24 »

The latter is a real garage, not very big mind.  You can see it on street view.  From their forecourt, more likely to find a 6 year old Corsa.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: