Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Different processors.  (Read 1665 times)
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 00:10:20 »

Hoping someone can help me,

My laptop is three & a half years old and is in the process of dying a slow and painful death so i'm thinking of getting a new one. (Apple announced some new ones today, how helpful!)

I'm confused about processors, my current laptop has a "compare 2.26 intel core 2 duo" and the new Macbook announced today has "1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz" at first glance my current 2.26 is better but the "turbo boost" is confusing me"

When they say Turbo boost, is it a 1.3 processor boosted to 2.6 speed so me as a casual user wouldn't notice the difference?

Appreciated any help. Cheers!

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 06:32:09 »

Turbo boost is just self overclocking.

The newer i5 will seem twice as fast as the old core2duo because of hyperthreading.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:15:14 »

And it processes better than core2duos and is more energy efficient
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:15:55 »

Find your current Mac on here and then the one you're about to buy to get a very rough idea of the speed increase;

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Was only the Macbook Airs that got updated wasn't it? Benchmarks are saying only a small performance improvement over the previous models, but Apple are claiming a far better battery life. Which ties in with Intel's claims for Haswell.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:26:20 »

Was only the Macbook Airs that got updated wasn't it? Benchmarks are saying only a small performance improvement over the previous models, but Apple are claiming a far better battery life. Which ties in with Intel's claims for Haswell.

Yes, though I did some googling and the other MacBooks are expected to be updated around autumn when the new OS is launched.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: