Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Day out  (Read 4016 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:29:51 »

Thats on Jersey and it is fucking brilliant

They have an underground hospital on Guernsey as well.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:33:55 »

Deffo Guernsey....was staying at St Peters Port.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:37:43 »

That Hospital sounds good. Must have been a cushty number for a Nazi soldier to be out of action on a backwater like Guernsey being fed the local tatties and tomatoes washed down with Jersey milk than being posted to the horrors of the Russian Front and chewing donkey meat Eek I am intrigued by the occupation of the islands. The thought of Hitler standing on the coastal cliffs of Guernsey with his binoculars trained on Weymouth sends tingles down my spine.

I am a very energetic person so i'm hoping to do a lot of walking. Are the lanes criss crossing the island safe to walk on? I'm surprised how densely populated the place is, and my concern is the roads will be too busy to contemplate strolling along.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:40:22 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:46:12 »

I too can confirm that there is an underground hospital in Guernsey. I haven't been for years (my cousin lives there), so can't comment on the roads these days. Plenty of lovely beaches, though.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:08:44 »

Nearby Herme or Sark worth a visit? Can't go to both, so it's one or the other.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:54:28 »

Been to Sark, really enjoyed it, if it is still the same no cars are allowed. Can see the island easily in a day - not been to Herm but I think there may be less to see there.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 21:13:32 »

Sark it is then. I'm imagining it as an Amish type community. Should be interesting.

I'm over there for 6 days but if anyone's after a bargain Condor Ferries are doing foot-passenger day returns to Guernsey or Jersey for £30. If you book on the right day you can have as long as 7-9 hrs on your chosen island. The crossing takes about 3 hrs. Unfortunately any alcohol brought aboard and consumed on the boat is liable to confiscation so just use your nut.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 20, 2013, 21:15:28 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 21:49:45 »

Sark it is then. I'm imagining it as an Amish type community. Should be interesting.

I'm over there for 6 days but if anyone's after a bargain Condor Ferries are doing foot-passenger day returns to Guernsey or Jersey for £30. If you book on the right day you can have as long as 7-9 hrs on your chosen island. The crossing takes about 3 hrs. Unfortunately any alcohol brought aboard and consumed on the boat is liable to confiscation so just use your nut.

Why are you doing "normal" posts about everyday life ?
You should be completely losing reality and picking fights with people.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 22:00:49 »

The day out in Sark is a good shout, much more to do there than Herm.

You can walk around the island or alternatively hire a bike & cycle.

Where are you staying in Guernsey?
The coast path from St Peter Port used to be a nice walk.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 22:04:20 »

Cheesy That's why i'm going to Guernsey, to get my head straight and mellow out a bit. My fear is though that I indulge in too much of the local scrumpy or gooseberry wine and get myself into some bother. They still have the old Nazi holding cells and the local tradition of subjecting fraternisers with a good old fashioned tarring and feathering has not yet died out. I might be loony but i'm not loony enough to fall foul of these Wicker Man type folk. Best behaviour at all times. One last cheap cider tonight before I commence my journey.

Lock up your daughters Guernsey, Dosser's going to get ya.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 22:06:14 »

The day out in Sark is a good shout, much more to do there than Herm.

You can walk around the island or alternatively hire a bike & cycle.

Where are you staying in Guernsey?
The coast path from St Peter Port used to be a nice walk.

I'm staying on a campsite about a mile from the airport, a couple of miles inland. Looks like a good bus network so i'll certainly check out that coastal walk from St Peter Port Posh Red. Cheers for the suggestion.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:06:05 »

I've heard it's not as scenic as merthyr tydfil

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: