Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Board, consultancy fees, Mercs and how to identify a duck  (Read 199632 times)
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 14:43:23 »

what risk - what do you know joteddy?Huh?Huh??
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 14:58:27 »

I know absolutely nothing. I used the word risk as none of us know what sort of vision/plan they have and what money is available for players.  The risk is that when we find out, it might not be good news.

Generally in the past we've had some sort of idea.

Sorry to disappoint  Smiley
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 15:04:27 by joteddyred » Logged
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 15:14:14 »

I know absolutely nothing. I used the word risk as none of us know what sort of vision/plan they have and what money is available for players.  The risk is that when we find out, it might not be good news.

Generally in the past we've had some sort of idea.

Sorry to disappoint  Smiley
So it's not a fucking risk then, is it? You're buying a ticket to watch some football games, not investing your life savings in Lloyds.

It's All Good..............
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 17:12:27 »

The fact that KMAC doesn't even know what the finances are going to be like next season really worries me. Clearly there has been no budget set. Are this board typical "let's make decisions and do things at the very last minute". Do they have any real plans in place?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 17:21:24 »

The fact that KMAC doesn't even know what the finances are going to be like next season really worries me. Clearly there has been no budget set. Are this board typical "let's make decisions and do things at the very last minute". Do they have any real plans in place?

I think we all know the answer to that unfortunately.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 17:40:32 »

So it's not a fucking risk then, is it? You're buying a ticket to watch some football games, not investing your life savings in Lloyds.

Actually as per the definition of a risk it's just that:

Risk is the potential that a chosen action or activity (including the choice of inaction) will lead to a loss (an undesirable outcome).

I've taken the action of buying a ST and if we end up fighting relegation next season because the board have no money to invest, it's an undesirable outcome (for me anyway).  I don't expect success, good god I've supported Swindon for long enough to know that doesn't come along often, but it will be vastly disappointing if we found ourselves locked in a relegation battle. 

Even more of an undesirable outcome and genuine concern is that the current Board doesn't have enough financial backing to run us even with significant cuts to wages etc.  What happens then?  My worry stems mostly from rumours that have been floating around, but until Jed comes out and gives us the real picture that's all I've got to go on.

Maybe not life savings, but £500 isn't exactly a small amount of money either.

Edited to make my point slightly clearer, as I'm not a bloody glory hunter.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 21:36:58 by joteddyred » Logged
iffy

« Reply #411 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 17:43:28 »

If you can pay now, I'd like to sell you 20-odd Sunday lunches to be enjoyed next year for just £15 a pop. Great value, roast beef and a pint, for just £300. Little or no risk to you or your family*

*some of the lunches might have shit in them.
iffy

« Reply #412 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 17:45:40 »

Ps I am prepared to answer written questions about these lunches. I believe the low sales to date might be about communication*

*i might not be able to confirm or deny how much shit will be in your dinner
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 17:56:13 »

Ps I am prepared to answer written questions about these lunches. I believe the low sales to date might be about communication*

*i might not be able to confirm or deny how much shit will be in your dinner
So when there's a chance that your chosen football team isn't challenging for promotion, you do what? Remove your custom? Fucking hell. I bought an ST in the hope that we'll win more than we lose and maybe challenge for promotion. I haven't been promised this and I know there's a chance that the opposite will happen. What do people want, a guarantee? Buying an ST, for me, is committing myself to supporting the club, good, shit or mediocre. Isn't that what supporting a lower league tem is all about?

Dozno9

« Reply #414 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 18:05:45 »

If the club were in real danger of going bust then the initial outlay would have been a risk on a purely financial basis but I don't see the football being a risk. I'll take whatever is on offer, shit or great who knows...
iffy

« Reply #415 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 18:14:25 »

So when there's a chance that your chosen football team isn't challenging for promotion, you do what? Remove your custom? Fucking hell. I bought an ST in the hope that we'll win more than we lose and maybe challenge for promotion. I haven't been promised this and I know there's a chance that the opposite will happen. What do people want, a guarantee? Buying an ST, for me, is committing myself to supporting the club, good, shit or mediocre. Isn't that what supporting a lower league tem is all about?

There's a point where being a fan crosses a line into being a doormat.

And two-bit chancers (see Risdale P) will continue to take advantage of this uncritical devotion to make money for themselves whilst driving more and more clubs to the wall. It's no accident that there's a pretty strong relationship between fanatical support (Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers) and avoidable financial collapse.

Withdraw support if we're not challenging for promotion? Not at all. Personally, I think a good result for next season will be staying in L1 and avoiding administration.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 18:21:11 »

Personally, I think a good result for next season will be staying in L1 and avoiding administration.
Based purely on supposition and rumour? I'm uneasy about who's controlling the club and their motives but it's because of what we don't know, not what we do.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 18:24:40 »

Based purely on supposition and rumour? I'm uneasy about who's controlling the club and their motives but it's because of what we don't know, not what we do.

Well, Morshead isn't confident of a top 10 finish and expects big player turnover. He hasn't got a crystal ball, and it may be personal opinion, but you'd expect him to be closer than most to the reality of the 2013-14 budget:

I know people love the quotes:

Daniel Smith ‏@Smithlarrr19 18h. Honest answer, do you think given the situation with players out of contracts we'll be in a relegation battle?

Sam Morshead Sam Morshead ‏@SamMorshead_SA very hard to say right now. I'd be surprised if Swindon were a top 10 side next season. Hope I'm proved wrong.
------
@Paulinblack Think it may be harder to smirk in the coming days as it becomes clearer what failure actually means to the club.
 ‏@SamMorshead_SA it means a lot, but from what I can gather budget cuts were likely whatever division.

---
 ‏@BenzlWashington 18h     Not entirely sure what the near future holds for us, hope we've got things to look forward to first.

‏@SamMorshead_SA  it's going to be a very different blueprint, a much harsher environment.

I know that doesn't guarantee a pittance of a budget/relegation. I know it may be a needed realignment. But its a fuck of a lot harder to achieve something without cash, even if it is a reality. I'll be honest, I'm glad we have a club but I still don't want to turn in to perennial struggler.

Still if Yeovil and Walsall can do it I suppose...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 18:32:29 by Batch » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #418 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 18:30:33 »

I don't see why being in the CH would mean administration. It's not as though we'd be forced to spend beyond our means.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 21:22:31 »

Yes it is and that's exactly what I've done for years.  I'm no glory hunter and certainly don't expect success.

I've not been very clear in my original posts, because I wasn't just meaning in terms of results.  I'm genuinely worried that the current Board doesn't have enough financial backing to run us even with significant cuts to wages etc.  My worry stems from rumours that have been floating around, but until Jed comes out and gives us the real picture that's all I've got to go on.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 21:38:21 by joteddyred » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: