Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Verdict so far  (Read 3285 times)
avfc nigel

Ignore
« on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 19:30:25 »

Hi Guys,
I know it's only been a couple of games, but, what's your verdict on Kevin Mac so far?
kerry red

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 19:38:14 »

Quiet, undemonstrative.

Got us playing football - very little hoofball.

Appears to have more than a decent grasp of tactics.

Given time he will do well for us I'm sure.

Not too sure about the amount of back-up he will get from the new board, though
avfc nigel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 19:44:18 »

Quiet, undemonstrative.

Got us playing football - very little hoofball.

Appears to have more than a decent grasp of tactics.

Given time he will do well for us I'm sure.

Not too sure about the amount of back-up he will get from the new board, though

That's pretty much how it was with our reserves and U19's, Kerry.

I sat behind the dug out for a couple of games he was in charge of. For the media he might be quiet and undemonstrative, but he sure isn't on the touch line  Grin
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 20:03:58 »

but he sure isn't on the touch line  Grin

Actually there are a few murmurs about him standing cross armed on the touchline. What those 'fans' forget is Taz of Tazmania looks quiet and undemonstrative compared to Di Canio.

In answer to your question, we played some good football at Coventry, not so much in the second game (didn't go to the third). Its difficult to judge the man yet, he's trying to change the system from fairly rigid 4-4-2 to whatever he thinks fits. Bound to take a bit to transition, plus we don't have much depth in the squad any more, not helped by our mysterious transfer embargo.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 20:15:27 »

He's made a solid start WDL and the games haven't been easy. I think we've been pretty unlucky under him so far. We've played some cracking football but are struggling with pacy counter attacking, which he has identified. He's trying something different with our midfield which is still gelling.
He was on a hiding to nothing and some fans have already written him and us off. I've got high hopes for him but it will take patience from us and that is not always given. I tihnk a good pre season and we'll start to really see what he's made of.
It'll be interesting to see how the board back him.
We'd take benteke off your hands until the end of the season.
Your boys have had a pretty crap season - are you staying up.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 20:23:01 »

We could of and should have won all three games.

I have high hopes and feel its been a very quick intro for him....must have been tough for him and the players.

He obviously dosnt know his best players yet and i have frowned on a few selections....but that is my opinion and i wont judge untill the seasons end when after 12 odd matches we should know a bit more.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 20:50:45 »

I agree with leefer and DV. Anybody who doesn't want him out right now is dancing on the grave of our greatest ever manager. We should be collecting our tears in a cup and then force feeding them to the team so the salty goodness spurs us to victory. I'm boycotting.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 20:57:36 »

I read with interest the comments from Villa supporters and some players who have said Good things about KMac. The Coventry game was a dream start for him and I don't think he made a big deal of the win either at the final whistle or in his post match interviews so perhaps this is just the way he is. I've heard comments since our loss to Brentford some fans calling him passionless. seems like a case of let's take it out on the new man. His passion wasn't questioned after the Coventry game ! Personally I think he's been hand picked to come in and develope up and coming players rather than be picking out experienced players he wants to bring in. This doesn't mean he will be a yes man but I'm thinking he will have to use all his experience to manage within a tight budget.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 21:15:12 »

I'm not anti-KMac, but just a bit concerned about the fitness side of things. If it is true, he has reduced training then I think that is a massive mistake. We have 'finished' teams of because we've been fitter.

But KMac needs time. If we don't go up this year it would be a disappointment but not the end of the world. Some of our fans are expecting promotion but is it realistic? We have done well this year. But he is completely different to a certain Italian.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 21:20:58 »

Come back next December when he's got half a year, a full pre-season and his own squad of players under his belt.

(i'm positive about the play style so far though).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:26:17 »

Come back next December when he's got half a year, a full pre-season and his own squad of players under his belt.

(i'm positive about the play style so far though).

I had a pub conversation last night with a mate, who reckoned if we finish outside the top 6, then that should be judged as a total failure by MacDonald...I had to disagree, given the shambolic nature of what he's come into, it would be unfair to judge on this season. It's next season that he needs to come into his own...build a new squad, get them performing in a fashion that keeps us safely in the top 10...show signs of progress in player improvement etc.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:37:38 »

We play decent football, he talks to the players a fair bit which should be a good thing. Team selection has been a little unbalanced, but is probably down to having a small squad and wanting to play the best players we have, even if a little out of position.

We've been conceding soft goals, which is a concern, and we have looked sluggish at the end of games since he reduced the amount of running we do in training (we nicked it at Coventry at the death, but he hadn't made any changes then) - considering we used to be able to pressure and attack for 95 minutes that's worrying, but again could be down to the small squad and minimal opportunity for rotation.

It would be a real disappointment if we don't challenge come the end of the season, but not entirely surprising given the last two months. If we can play the style of football he appears to be going for, with a larger/better squad, I'm confident we'll do well with KMac as long as the fitness thing isn't down to his training regime.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:41:29 »

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress that some of the younger players will make under KMac especially the Thompsons and Storey. Think he may be able to help them progress better than other potential managers would have
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:44:00 »

I thought the squad was looking jaded around the time the time Di Canio decided to leave. I doubt it's anything to do with Macdonad's training.
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 12:07:09 »

I thought the squad was looking jaded around the time the time Di Canio decided to leave. I doubt it's anything to do with Macdonad's training.

I agree with this, around the time of PDCs departure I thought we really needed a couple of loan signings to pep things up a bit. Really can't see how the players fitness could drop off after a couple of weeks of Kmac. I think it's more a case of a long season catching up with a small squad.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: