Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paolo Gone.  (Read 70366 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:11:38 »

Not seen this posted (probably has). Gary Rose had a few words with Wray:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21499926

Paolo Di Canio has resigned as manager of League One side Swindon.

The 44-year-old Italian was set to quit last week because of off-field events, including the sale of Matt Ritchie.

But the ex-West Ham star said he would have stayed had the Football League agreed to the purchase of the club by new owners by 17:00 GMT on Monday.

"I've been told approval has not been granted yet and therefore my temporary arrangement has ended and my resignation stands," he said.

BBC Wiltshire understands that the takeover will go through on Tuesday.

"I am very, very disappointed and sad he has not had the chance to finish what I have no doubt he was going to achieve, which was promotion to the Championship," former Swindon chairman Jeremy Wray told BBC Sport.

Wray believes business decisions made by his employers in recent weeks might have led to Di Canio's decision to leave.

"You can be disappointed when goals change, but if it is communicated in the right way and you have a chance to listen to a new plan then you get a chance to reflect on it," he added.

If it is not discussed at all, then I think it is very hard. I think that is where he has found himself.

"The sale of Ritchie may well needed to have happened, but it needs to have been communicated with him and explained why and discussed what the best way forward is after that.

"As I understand it, Ritchie was sold without anyone communicating it to Paolo. To hear it first from the player is unforgivable."

Di Canio, who played for Juventus, AC Milan, Lazio, West Ham and Celtic among others, took over at Swindon in May 2011, following their relegation to League Two.

In his first managerial role, he led the Robins to promotion as champions last season, guiding them to the final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. They are currently sixth in League One.

However, there was uncertainty over the club's future following the news that owner Andrew Black had put the club up for sale because he was no longer willing to invest.

The club were considering entering administration in order to wipe out £9m of unsecured debt.

It was then revealed that a local consortium, fronted by Banbury United owner Jed McCrory, had agreed a takeover, subject to approval.

The announcement could not prevent star winger Ritchie signing for Bournemouth for £500,000 - a deal which the club said was essential because of their financial situation.

"As I had previously stated, there have been a number of broken promises made by the club over the time that I have been manager of Swindon," added Di Canio.

"Despite these problems, I have delivered everything and more that was asked of me - achieving promotion last year as champions and competing this season for promotion to the Championship, and being just three points from top place a year earlier than expected.

"I did not resign immediately, nor publicise my resignation after I had formally confirmed it, as I did not want to jeopardise the negotiations for the sale of the club and I wanted to listen to what the proposed new owners plans were."
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:12:58 »

Speak fucking English not text speak.
Please would B nice. I'm sure it wasn't 2 difficult 4 U 2 understand  Cheesy

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:15:53 »

I don't understand this whole temporary arrangement business?  He either resigned last week or he didn't?

SSN going to look back at a 'turbulent 2 years' after the break!
« Last Edit: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:17:34 by joteddyred » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:17:35 »

I think he wanted to resign after the Ritchie saga but was willing to speak to the new owners. Didn't want I jeopardise the takeover, but he's obviously heard nothing from anyone and had enough.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:18:49 »

I don't understand this whole temporary arrangement business?  He either resigned last week or he didn't?

Of course he did. I reckon he knew what date things would go through and wanted the final curtain call. I actually think roller coasters are great, but at some point it's time to get off, now might be the best for all.
lambourn red

« Reply #230 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:36:20 »

Statement up on Official site soon
lambourn red

« Reply #231 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:37:29 »

Picarreta in charge tomorrow night
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:40:43 »

Had to be really, but I wonder who made the call?

Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:44:18 »

Looks like the club chooses Twitter to make its statements nowadays
paddieu

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:45:41 »

Jeremy Wray, former Swindon chairman who appointed Paolo Di Canio as manager in May 2011, told BBC Sport:

"When we first got to know each other it was like boxers sparring. Then you find you trust each other and that is what he relied on and expected from everyone he met.

"He expects a certain standard from others and gives the same standard in return. He is loyal and he expects loyalty in return. It is a two-way street and from everything i have read and heard you can understand he feels let down.

"I think he would definitely have seen this season through, taken stock in the summer and seen what the plans were going forward. He is a very loyal individual and if he still felt he had the backing of the club why would he want to leave?"

Not much loyalty to the fans or players then, was there ? That should count for more than 'loyalty' from the board  No
lambourn red

« Reply #235 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:45:41 »

THE Board are disappointed that Paolo Di Canio has made the decision to resign at such a critical time for Swindon Town Football Club. 

We are also disappointed that the sale of the Club has yet to be approved, but we hope the outstanding issues with the Football League will be resolved within a short period of time. 

It is worth noting that Matt Ritchie was sold due to the tremendous financial pressure the Club is facing and in order to continue operating whilst the sale of the Club went through. We understand the prospective new owners had reached agreement with Paolo Di Canio on bringing in loan players to strengthen the squad for a final push for the Championship.

Until the situation has been resolved, Fabrizio Piccareta will be in temporary charge of the team as we travel to Tranmere Rovers tomorrow, where a win would see Swindon become leaders of League One. The Board shares the fans' tremendous frustration at the events of the last few weeks and is determined to resolve these issues to ensure the best outcome for the Club.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:47:05 »

Hmmm something isn't right somewhere still...

I thought resignations had to be accepted, and if so who accepted it? Black, SWP or someone else...I stand to be corrected on whether or not you resign and walk or whether you resign and wait for it to be accepted by someone?

#VivaKenBarlow!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:48:51 »

Well, I do kind of agree that the eve of the Tranmere game was a shitty time to resign that's for sure.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:49:00 »

I enjoyed that statement. It's probably the last one we'll see for a while written in full sentences.
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:49:59 »

I feel for those employed at the club at the moment, it must be fucking stressful for the day to dayers behind the scenes.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: