Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Radio controlled cars?  (Read 3557 times)
Barry Scott

« on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 22:35:24 »

I've been tasked with helping a relative sort an RC car for Christmas, likely I'll also help build it - I hope!

When I was a kid I remember Tamiya cars, like the midnight pumpkin and the lunchbox etc, but imagine cars have moved on a touch and want something good. I think he should have a petrol car, as I remember batteries lasting no time and taking hours to charge. (I also remember they were hilariously fast!)

So, 13 year old boy, anyone know anything and can make recommendations?

Thanks!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 22:57:22 »

Actually most non-battery RC models are powered by nitro gas. Either way, this will make them outdoor only and expensive to run and maintain.

Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 23:18:22 »

Thanks. Just had a little look around and realised it might be a bad choice for a 13 year old as well! I think battery powered is the way to go. Might just decide a lunchbox is what "he" would want.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 06:23:45 »

You've reminded me that my lad is nearly old enough to commence operation "Tamiya Boomerang restoration"

- New tyres (check)
- New motor (check)
- New 3 pin ceramic resistor (to be sourced)
- New Chassis (to be sourced)

Its running now though....
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 08:23:20 »

Barry, I restored my old Kyosho Lazer last year and I had forgotten how expensive it got.

It is worth checking some websites for deals which include everything you need to run to make sue you don't forget anything. There are also some good ready to run cars which tend to come with an added robustness over the kit models.

Also have a look on ebay, there were quite a few people who buy, build and then sell completed kits just because they enjoy building them.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 10:18:37 »

Now a subject I can get my teeth into! I used to be well into racing RC cars, used to race 1/10th on and off road electric at National level, however jacked it all in 10 years ago because it was taking too much time and costing me too much money.

Technology has moved on massively since I jacked it in, certainly on the electrics side, less so on Nitro's.

I guess you need to decide whether you want to race it or not. If you do, check out the most local club and see what they race, pop down and talk to a few people and see what the most popular car is. Do you/your relative live in or around Swindon, or further afield?
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 12:04:06 »

Try the model shop in Theatre Square, they are really good i got 2 the Christmas before last. They were really helpful & worked it so it was cheaper his way than what i was after, they are still going. They were battery powered.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 13:10:12 »

I had a tamiya hotshot and was a member, albeit briefly, of chippenham model car club.

That is my nerdiest element of my teenage years.

Never knowingly overstated.
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 13:22:12 »

I had a tamiya hotshot and was a member, albeit briefly, of chippenham model car club.

That is my nerdiest element of my teenage years.

I can out-nerd you, by some way, and for far far longer.......
Barry Scott

« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 13:35:31 »

Barry, I restored my old Kyosho Lazer last year and I had forgotten how expensive it got.

It is worth checking some websites for deals which include everything you need to run to make sue you don't forget anything. There are also some good ready to run cars which tend to come with an added robustness over the kit models.

Also have a look on ebay, there were quite a few people who buy, build and then sell completed kits just because they enjoy building them.

Thanks. All I've really discovered so far is a couple of Traxxas cars that are supposedly good value and easy to drive (and fast if required). They appear to be pre-built. I'm also thinking, pre-built is more fun for a kid, I remember waiting what seemed like months for mate's Dad to build his when I was young!

Now a subject I can get my teeth into! I used to be well into racing RC cars, used to race 1/10th on and off road electric at National level, however jacked it all in 10 years ago because it was taking too much time and costing me too much money.

Technology has moved on massively since I jacked it in, certainly on the electrics side, less so on Nitro's.

I guess you need to decide whether you want to race it or not. If you do, check out the most local club and see what they race, pop down and talk to a few people and see what the most popular car is. Do you/your relative live in or around Swindon, or further afield?

I've no idea if he wants to race it, might be a good idea, as he lost his Dad a while back and perhaps needs something like that. We both live in Swindon, so I'll have a butchers.

I've discovered "brushless" is what looks to be the bollocks, seems very fast, but speed seems to take a bit to learn. I'm starting to think I'm buying it for myself, like some unfulfilled dream, hence why I think it should be fast as fuck and he won't get a go at christmas. Smiley

Try the model shop in Theatre Square, they are really good i got 2 the Christmas before last. They were really helpful & worked it so it was cheaper his way than what i was after, they are still going. They were battery powered.

Wow, that's still open! That's perfect then, I just assumed it had closed down. I initially wanted to pop down to the upstairs of Beaties. Smiley
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 13:43:42 »

Barry, wait until I get home and online later this evening and I will post a lot more information, and possibly some names of people to go and talk to.

Part of the fun is building the thing in the first place, even for a kid. I was 11 when I got my first car, although I didn't build it (my dad did so I could have it running on Christmas Day, bless), I soon took 'ownership' of all things maintenance wise soon after. All part of the learning experience.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 14:11:07 »

I can out-nerd you, by some way, and for far far longer.......

Im sure you can.  But I did buy the magazines every month.  Shameful.

Never knowingly overstated.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 14:12:20 »

I thought this was gonna be a taxi thread
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 14:13:44 »

Im sure you can.  But I did buy the magazines every month.  Shameful.

Me too. Oh the shame. RCC monthly  Embarrassed
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:21:48 »

Radio Race Car. Erm, a friend told me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: