Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fixing a letter box  (Read 17472 times)
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 09:48:34 »

Morning TEF'ers,

A courier company tried to deliver a rather big book through my letter box and has broken the flap off its hinge. It looks a relativly straight forward job to fix, but whilst scouring the internet I can't find anyway that stocks the hinge (possibly because it's called somthing else). My questions are what is the hinge called and where can I get one from?

I've look at B&Q website, but would imagine I'd have to go to an independant DIY outlet. I don't really want to fork out £20 for a new letterbox if I can help it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 10:41:56 »

Get the courier co to pay for it
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 12:13:01 »

Get the courier co to pay for it

Could do. I thought it might be easier and quicker to do it myself. I've just phoned Ron's Hardware in Rodbourne and they've told me I might have to replace the whole letter box.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 12:59:01 »

PM with the size of the letter box & i will see if i have any cheap/ second hand ones. To measure it you will need to take the front or back plate off to measure the sleeve size as well as the outside frame size.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 12:59:55 »

Thanks Jutty. Will do.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 18:19:56 »

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insulated-letter-plate-gold-effect-292-x-76mm/56428;jsessionId=JvgHQ0qJNyrg7Rg5zRrw3Cf7m0MYz9yvy5BKcBrvhLd6Lc5nrX1S!43934477!1349806729331

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 18:25:05 »

My letterbox has lost a spring or something, ever time there's a gust of wind it makes a noise. Just to lazy to get it fixed.
fatbasher

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 19:19:17 »

My wife's arse is like you letterbox, without the spring that is.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 21:07:22 »

I stuff shit through peoples letter boxes for a living, I can't stress enough the importance of having a fully functioning letterbox for cunts like me that put estate agents leaflets through your door. Better still, put a sign on your door in big letters saying "NO JUNK MAIL", then it saves me the effort of hiking up the garden path for bugger all and I can save the recycling.

I was stuffing letterboxes in the affluent area of Broad Street today and some bastard dog bit my finger just as i shoved the leaflet through, although it could have been one of the natives tbh.
fatbasher

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 22:37:43 »

I stuff shit through peoples letter boxes for a living, I can't stress enough the importance of having a fully functioning letterbox for cunts like me that put estate agents leaflets through your door. Better still, put a sign on your door in big letters saying "NO JUNK MAIL", then it saves me the effort of hiking up the garden path for bugger all and I can save the recycling.

I was stuffing letterboxes in the affluent area of Broad Street today and some bastard dog bit my finger just as i shoved the leaflet through, although it could have been one of the natives tbh.
Do you do my gaff in Peatmoor?
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 22:40:05 »

Do you do my gaff in Peatmoor?

Guilty as charged, no take away menus though
fatbasher

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 23:58:45 »

Guilty as charged, no take away menus though

No. 8 keeps getting my mail. Not from Lees anyway!
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 07:15:30 »

Thanks NMH.

This might be a stupid question, but would it be easier or more pratical to swap the front and back of the letterbox around?
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 07:39:21 »

You could do that, the only problem with that is that 95% of letterboxes screw in from the inside, so if you turn it around somebody who knows what they are doing can take you letterbox off & leave it very draughty.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 19:10:48 »

No. 8 keeps getting my mail. Not from Lees anyway!

Its usually estate agents, window cleaners and learn how to become a ninja  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: