Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Da Vinci Restaurant  (Read 7772 times)
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, October 8, 2012, 23:41:22 »

Has any one been to Casa Paolo over at Common Platt? think it used to be the foresters arms
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 06:06:02 »

Has any one been to Casa Paolo over at Common Platt? think it used to be the foresters arms

No keep meaning to, tried to once but it was closed because the owner was on holiday! I think that's what they said, seemed a little odd at the time.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 12:33:47 »

Bottelino's is good, I'm particularly fond of their vegetable cannelloni (and I'm by no means vegetarian). They do a £5.99 any pizza or pasta offer most lunchtimes (and weekday early evenings I think) which is exceptional value, provided you steer clear of the overpriced drinks!
fatbasher

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 22:53:49 »

Yes a few times and really rate it. Tried to get in recently and it was fully booked. If you want lashings of tinned tomatoes with herbs covering poor quality meat and a four foot wide pizza, best go somewhere else. Otherwise be prepared to pay a little more but get something more akin to real Italian cooking.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 17:19:52 »

Went to Da Vinvi for lunch. Quick menu quite nice, will be back to try a-la-carte some time.

The guy (owner) seemed a character. Son #2 had a Town top on, turns out the owners son played for Oxford (yes I commiserated) at youth level  until he did his knee. Said a few Town players go in. Was also talking about when he lived up in Southport working in a restaurant and know Dalglish, Grobberlaar, et al. Yeah it was name dropping, but didn't come across boastful.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 17:37:28 »

Trying Isola Bella in Devizes for the first time tonight.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #36 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 11:21:37 »

We really are spolit for Italian restaurants in Swindon. I've not been to La Carbonara for about 6 months but it really was fantastic.

Me and the mrs went to La Dolce Vita about 3 weeks ago and I had a blue cheese topped steak which was cooked to perfection. Medium/rare, deep pink on the inside but no blood and had the texture of Angel Delight... fucking marvellous.

Gaetano's is probably my third favourite, closely followed by Mario's. Da Vinci is well down the list, I found the food to be very greasy and rich.

Oh if you're feeling lazy and want a take away, San Marco do home delivery are are very decent.

The only thing we are really missing is a proper pizza place that do white pizzas, but they are pretty rare across the whole of the UK.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 11:30:03 »

We really are spolit for Italian restaurants in Swindon. I've not been to La Carbonara for about 6 months but it really was fantastic.

Me and the mrs went to La Dolce Vita about 3 weeks ago and I had a blue cheese topped steak which was cooked to perfection. Medium/rare, deep pink on the inside but no blood and had the texture of Angel Delight... fucking marvellous.

Gaetano's is probably my third favourite, closely followed by Mario's. Da Vinci is well down the list, I found the food to be very greasy and rich.

Oh if you're feeling lazy and want a take away, San Marco do home delivery are are very decent.

The only thing we are really missing is a proper pizza place that do white pizzas, but they are pretty rare across the whole of the UK.

The best pizza's i have ever eaten have been in NYC, anything in the UK doesnt come close.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #38 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 13:24:24 »

Rome for me.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 13:29:11 »

Rome for me.

I wonder why

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21628874.600-drugs-in-the-italian-air-are-nothing-to-snort-at.html
Barry Scott

« Reply #40 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 13:41:11 »

Had pizza in Modena the other week. To say it's different is an understatement. It was like a tortilla, it was so thin, and the pizza itself was light and not remotely bloating. It actually tasted and looked healthy. We even got a takeaway one night and although that was closer to what we see as pizza, it was still worlds apart.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 13:07:20 »

I have organised our work Christmas meal here, it better be good Barry Wink
Barry Scott

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 13:20:06 »

I have organised our work Christmas meal here, it better be good Barry Wink

My Dad went and said it was pretty average the other day and not everyone in the thread is quite so full of praise - I await your wrath. Smiley

I'm going there Friday though, so we'll see if I still think it's sexual.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 13:48:48 »

Keep meaning to try Fabio's in Old Town. Anyone been?

Yes go there a bit when in Town as its part owned by a friend. Can't complain but then I do usually get a free bottle of wine.
fatbasher

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 22:08:27 »

Casa Paolo for me every time. 5 Minute walking distance, superb food, nice atmosphere, non rowdy pissed up customers and an owner who does not think that tinned tomatoes with some erbs constitutes Italian cooking. Chicken and mushroom soup liberally splashed about your plate makes them a michelin star restaurant either.

Sorry but Italian wise Swindon is a gastronomic desert, above example excluded.

No, I don't know them nor am I paid by them, it is just as I have found them every time I have eaten there.

As for Christmas parties in my experience with a variety of establishments over the years......I would not bother.

If you must, wait till January.

Bon appetite!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: