Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Chippy from days gone by.  (Read 8271 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 19:18:23 »

Does anyone remember the chippy that used to be by the train station, I am talking at least 25 yeas ago. Used to go in there with my old man before matches. It had a few tables so you could eat in of take away. I seem to remember the woman who served was called Pauline . I may be looking back through nostalgic eyes but I remember them being the best chips ever.

Bloody hell that does bring back some memories.

I always prefered the Chinese down the Manchester Road for the Pancake Rolls, the best I have ever had with some chips. Although the Chippy you mention was a good back up.
And yes Pauline with jet black hair, You jogged my old memory.

....as we walked back to catch the train back to Didcot.

Happy Days.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 20:41:28 »

Can anyone remember the Tartan Cafe in Commercial Road....a few doors down from the Rolleston.
Robins Nest in Gorse Hill and the Park Cafe in Faringdon Road where the Italian is now.
Ah, the Park Cafe, yes I remember that one well.  Used to be a favourite stop of the lorry drivers, at least a couple that I knew.  Wouldn't be allowed to stop outside there now and pop in for a cup of tea and a slice of toast!  Does anybody remember the transport cafe that was on the Wootton Bassett road out of town, possibly where Junction 16 is now?
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, September 24, 2012, 20:53:16 »

Ah, the Park Cafe, yes I remember that one well.  Used to be a favourite stop of the lorry drivers, at least a couple that I knew.  Wouldn't be allowed to stop outside there now and pop in for a cup of tea and a slice of toast!  Does anybody remember the transport cafe that was on the Wootton Bassett road out of town, possibly where Junction 16 is now?
Think the cafe where j16 now stands was Days cafe,ran by the same family that had the garage on Cambria bridge.
Also, the Hang on cafe that used to be in Cross st deserves a mention.
Paulines Fish bar was next door to the central cafe (dingos) on Wellington st and further down nr the bus station was Fords,another transport cafe.
The central fish fry used to be(could still be) in John st.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 24, 2012, 21:10:23 by Mother Brown » Logged
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 12:07:05 »

Is the 'sore finger' chip shop still down the road from the train station?

I come from a land down-under
woolster

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 12:26:24 »

lemon plaice next to the arcade time out was a good chippy
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 17:44:13 »

I remember the old chippy in devizes on the way back to Codford on evening games....battered mushrooms and always had a good selection of stuff on the way back...

Chippy there now but my bros tells me it's closed by the time he goes by.

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: