Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Should the old bill be armed?  (Read 5182 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:52:51 »

What does the size of the nation have to do with it?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:53:40 »

Put the daily mail down. The issue isn't about arming officers, it would be backwards and further drive an 'us against them' mentality. The real issue with the manchester shootings is why the most wanted man in Britain was out on bail in the first place.

Things get better but they never get good
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:56:08 »

Look into gun crime per capital and compare us to other, industrialised countries in Europe.
Those with a fully armed police force have a percentage than we do.
The police in this country were asked to vote if they would like to be armed and the overwhelming majority said no.
Sippo, get back in your box.

It's All Good..............
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:04:34 »

If an officer is attacked with an armed weapon why should they have to wait for an armed response unit. If officers carry a gun it would be more of a deterrent. It's all about respect. Criminals have had it  too easy for to long. If an officer is carrying a gun it doesn't mean that they will use it.

And look what happened to the country the last time an armed officer shot an (allegedly) armed criminal.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:09:18 »

In response to the original question, a definate no. The shooting was an isolated incident. And not the norm
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:19:31 »

We'll move toward Sharia law before we arm all our Police and, to be honest, it would be interesting to know how crime would change if we were under Sharia law
Flashheart

« Reply #36 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:21:00 »

We'll move toward Sharia law before we arm all our Police and, to be honest, it would be interesting to know how crime would change if we were under Sharia law

You can put the daily mail down as well.
thompske

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:22:10 »

Hmmm a bit of a tangental jump !, but I suppose it would make firing a gun a bit dificult if you lostyour hands  shoplifting?
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:24:51 »

And look what happened to the country the last time an armed officer shot an (allegedly) armed criminal.

Indeed, apart from what it would do to the number of guns in circulation among criminals is the question of whether the police can be trusted with firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom#Fatal_incidents

Looking at wikipedia, every fatal shooting by police since 1980 has at the very least a question mark over it if not being downright wrong such as in the case of the brazilian guy de Menezes a few years ago.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:30:45 »

Don't think you can blame that for all the trouble. Some of it maybe but not all of it.

Now where's my box...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Flashheart

« Reply #40 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:31:34 »

I don't think the Brazilian case is a good example. They had to make a decision and they made it. For all they knew to not shoot could have resulted in a far worse tragedy.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:40:09 »

I think he's referring to the Mark Duggan incident last year that caused the riots.
Flashheart

« Reply #42 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:43:55 »

I think he's referring to the Mark Duggan incident last year that caused the riots.

Was replying to London red Mr. Ging.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 08:49:44 »

I'll let you off then.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 09:08:39 »

Indeed, apart from what it would do to the number of guns in circulation among criminals is the question of whether the police can be trusted with firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom#Fatal_incidents

Looking at wikipedia, every fatal shooting by police since 1980 has at the very least a question mark over it if not being downright wrong such as in the case of the brazilian guy de Menezes a few years ago.

I am a serving cop and used to be armed. I know officers who have been involved in shootings (both sides of the weapon) so speak with a bit of experience.

In relation to the stats about police shootings etc. Suspects are arrested at gunpoint pretty much every day and very rarely do these incidents result in a suspect being shot.

Re De Menezes, the environment in which this incident occured was extreme. The fact that someone screwed up is well documented but I think this incident would not have developed in the way that it did if it were not occuring in the aftermath of the London bombings.

More information around the Mark Duggan incident is coming to light every day so I will reserve judgement on that.

Armed response vehicles are a very useful asset but, sometimes can be some minutes away. Those minutes can be a hell of a long time when somone with a gun is nearby!

Would I want to be permanantly armed? No thanks.

Should we as a nation have the debate? I think we should and, if the consensus is yes, then it would become a condition of joining. For those already serving who don't want to be armed, we can leave or be found jobs that don't require arming. After a while, the unarmed officer pool will dissapear through natural wasteage.

That is my 10 pence worth, for what it is worth
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: