Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Should the old bill be armed?  (Read 5183 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:26:19 »

Horrible thing the policewomen getting killed.

But this is thankfully a very very rare event in this country. And there is no evidence I've seen saying that being armed would have prevented their murder.

So no, the cons far outway the pros. Lets not arm our police by default.
Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:29:16 »

i have nothing further to add but i didn't want Flashheart to feel lonely

Ha ha

Thanks my dear
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:32:20 »

Up to 2010, gun crime has fallen going by this - http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF05.htm

deltaincline

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:44:13 »

Terrible as the recent shooting of the 2 cops is, arming the whole force off the back of a rare incident would be pretty stupid.

Most of the larger police forces where the heavy crime is centred already have mobile armed units anyway, so the force has arms available very quickly when needed.

From what I've seen, I honestly don't think the lives of the two unfortunate cops who got shot would have been saved if they'd had guns on them.

Coca Fola

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:47:36 »

Is that right Freud?
We have two systems for reacting to risk a primitive intuitive system and a more advanced analytic system -- and they're operating in parallel. It's hard for one to contradict the other.

If you're an animal living in the jungle and you're attacked by a lion, it makes sense that you develop a fear of lions, or at least fear lions more than another animal you haven't personally been attacked by. From a risk/reward perspective, it's a good trade-off for the brain to make, and if you think about it -- it's really no different than humans fearing guns.

Dancing
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:54:14 »

If you're an animal living in the jungle and you're attacked by a lion, it makes sense that you develop a fear of lions, or at least fear lions more than another animal you haven't personally been attacked by.

That could so easily be a PDC press conference
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:56:45 by Shaw Rosso » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 21:58:52 »

excellent copypasta work there CoFo
Coca Fola

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 22:03:27 »

That could so easily be a PDC press conference
If the lion come in your territory and speak with you in a bad moment, how do you react? We need to make an angry mentality, the lion is not blurry but my plaaayers, yes.
Coca Fola

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 22:04:37 »

excellent copypasta work there CoFo
Made a few amendments..
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 06:50:10 »

These criminals had a grenade. Therefore the Police should have them too.
Flashheart

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:10:23 »

We have two systems for reacting to risk a primitive intuitive system and a more advanced analytic system -- and they're operating in parallel. It's hard for one to contradict the other.

If you're an animal living in the jungle and you're attacked by a lion, it makes sense that you develop a fear of lions, or at least fear lions more than another animal you haven't personally been attacked by. From a risk/reward perspective, it's a good trade-off for the brain to make, and if you think about it -- it's really no different than humans fearing guns.

Dancing

And what if those animals could go out and buy guns to protect themselves from the lions?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:15:44 »

These criminals had a grenade. Therefore the Police should have them too.
Typical lilly-livered liberal half-measures which leave our brave bobbies badly exposed to the scum that stalk our streets. The police should be able to bring overwhelming force to bear. Until each and every officer has at his or her disposal a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher and/or personal bazooka (according to officer's personal choice), not one of us will be able to sleep safe in our beds. And what is more, the country will continue to go to the dogs. It's the health and safety culture gone mad I tell you!
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:31:31 »

when i was the states me and my mates started chatting to a marine, he was asking about how we protect ourselves in england without guns - he couldn't get his head round the fact no-one carried guns.....

later that evening he showed me pictures of his modded ak-47 he had at his house and invited me and my friends to go shooting in the desert....we politely declined and we got the fuck out of the bar... I missed "No Concealed Guns" sign on the entry to the bar

i they should have an armed division (i.e quick response etc) but for every copper on the street - no chance

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:42:58 »

My ex brother in law was in the first response unit in Devizes and he is totally against every officer carrying a gun because with a gun comes massive responsibility not to discharge it inappropriately.....so no thanks, fine as it is.

The two policewomen were just incredibly unlucky and my thoughts go to their families but there will always be idiots in our society that will do things like this and every police officer knows their job is dangerous already, but please don't let us become like the US.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 07:48:32 »

If an officer is attacked with an armed weapon why should they have to wait for an armed response unit. If officers carry a gun it would be more of a deterrent. It's all about respect. Criminals have had it  too easy for to long. If an officer is carrying a gun it doesn't mean that they will use it.

I still don't understand the comparison between us and the US. We are a much smaller nation, and you'll find the police there will only use their weapon if they feel their life is in danger. What happens in this country? They get out their pepper spray...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: