Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Powerline Networking  (Read 4057 times)
[email protected]

Want to change my name as this email doesn't exist

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 15:16:45 »

Does anybody on here use this? 

I have a Devolo 200mb/s set, and the 2 units are detecting eachother and am getting about 160mb/s in each direction, but for some reason it is not connecting to the net.

I have tried a number of cables and different ports on my router (I have also switched the 2 units over) and still have the same problem. 
stfcinbmth

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 15:21:25 »

Have you had them working before or have you only just stuck them in. They really ought to be plugged into a mains socket directly not an adapter. Also must be on the same electric circuit

Linky to the product would be of help

I've got the Devolo 500mbs ones and they are fine
[email protected]

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 15:34:50 »

I've used them before in my old house, but this is the first time I have tried using them since moving.

They are both plugged directly into mains sockets, and using the software supplied can see the 2 units talking to each other at decent speeds, but for some reason there appears to be an issue between 1 and the router which has got me stumped.   Hmmm
stfcinbmth

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 15:41:11 »

Have you rebooted the router via the GUI since installing them, if not might be an idea. Also stick the one connected to the router in LAN1

Stick cable in Lan1
Reboot router
Reboot PC's

« Last Edit: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 15:43:28 by stfcinbmth » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 17:21:28 »

The router has DHCP enabled?
[email protected]

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 22:15:39 »

All rebooted and reconnected in port 1. 

DHCP is enabled (I can't find where to switch it off to see if it makes a difference). My other 2 devices - desktop and printer are appearing in the DHCP table, but the 2 power line boxes and the laptop which is connected to the one not wired to the router are not showing.

My logic is taking me as far as the cable between router and power line box, but I have tried 3 and still nothing.   Crash
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 22:52:55 »

Don't they just work like unmanaged switches? In which case they wouldn't have IP addresses and so won't show in the DHCP table. They would have MAC addresses though so you should see them in the ARP table. I could be talking bollocks though as I'm not familiar with their inner workings, and different versions might work differently.

Have you tried connecting the laptop directly to the router?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 06:13:30 »

With mine, when used on the LAN side of the router, they get assigned an IP each.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 06:38:40 »

With mine, when used on the LAN side of the router, they get assigned an IP each.

Mine too. In fact they even have a very basic web server embedded for management purposes.

richtheref - I assume that you don't have a laptop you can just plug in to the router LAN socket using the cables you want to use on the powerline adapter? I'd start with the one going from the power adapter->router.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 15:14:33 »

They don't get an IP in my router

Powerline Adapter   -    100 Mbit/s   227 / 249 Mbit/s
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 15:19:55 »

30m ethernet cable online for £2.99  Wink
[email protected]

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, July 30, 2012, 22:58:36 »

Proper nonsense going on now that has really got my head messed...

1.  The devices both indicate they see each other.
2.  I've installed the devolo software on pcs at both ends (one connected to the router and the other "remote" pc to a powerline box.  The software on both pcs are showing both devices, and are allowing me to rename the boxes, so it would seem that everything is working properly.
3.  The remote pc (connected to the powerline box and not directly not directly to the router) is saying it is connected to am "unidentified network", but is not picking up the Internet.  When I plug it directly into the router the web powers up with no problems.
4.  Looking at the DHCP table on the router, the remote PC is not showing at all.  I also can't see the mac addresses of either power line box.

I starting to think I need training on the intricacies of setting up networks!
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 08:54:00 »

Weird idea but have you tried swapping the units around ?

I'm pretty sure from memory that solved the same problem I had with them (although I could be remembering wrong and talking bollocks of course ) !!

Wise men say........
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 09:16:29 »

Hot to be worth a try, but can't see how this would solve it.

To be honest they are supposed to be pretty much plug and play. So its an odd one.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 09:17:57 »

Generally one is the master and the other is a slave unit, but it shouldn't make any difference as to which one is cabled to the router.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: