Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v Italy match thread.  (Read 69930 times)
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:09:36 »

Well here we go, can we finally reach a semi final for the first time in 16 years? I bloody hope so.

England (Unconfirmed but Sky and BBC both think unchanged team)
Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Young, Rooney, Welbeck

Frustratingly feeling optimistic and when that usually happens when watching England it usually turns out bad.

Come on England!  Pint
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:14:09 »

I hope England win, but don't expect it.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:17:45 »

I hope England win, but don't expect it.

Nor should you...we've never beaten a major country in a knock out stage of a tournament outside England.  There's a first time for everything, but the dreaded pens looks our best option.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:21:12 »

Nor should you...we've never beaten a major country in a knock out stage of a tournament outside England.  There's a first time for everything, but the dreaded pens looks our best option.
And the likelihood of us winning a penalty shootout isn't great.

I think there's a strong possibility of a sending off tonight.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:29:59 »

Engalnd have a good chance of winning tonight. They will have to raise their game from the group stages though
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:33:29 »

Be interesting how Italy set up. 352 and we could overwhelm them on the flanks but that could leave real space at fullback for Cassano and Mario B - just as they did against Spain to drop into the holes. Going to be the closest game since the groups ended.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:35:19 »

I think our pace will cause them problems tonight, if Welbeck and Rooney are firing i'd back us to win. Mainly because they dont really have much threat if Pirlo isnt allowed to play, Balotelli dosent worry me, Cassano and De Rossi will be the one's to look out for I reckon.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:50:05 by Cibocchi_Is_God » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:40:10 »

De Rossi's been playing in the centre of the 3 hasn't he? No need to be worried about him.

As long as Parker does a job on Pirlo and we give Mario a few kicks early on, I think we'll do alright.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:42:30 »

I have absolutely no expectations on tonight. Italy should be too strong, but I didn't think we'd win the group so what do I know.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:46:27 »

Italy playing with 4 at the back, De Rossi in the midfield to mark Gerrard I think.

Buffon; Abate, Bonucci, Barzagli, Balzaretti; Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi; Montolivo; Balotelli, Cassano
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:48:41 »

I've got a good feeling about tonight, not based on anything in particular....

Bedford has 20,000 Italians living here, and if they win they the town is going to go mad, after the World cup win in 2006 it went crazy....

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:50:24 »

considering England's threats from set pieces, Lescott and Terry being 28/1 to score first are great odds. I'm having a bit of that i think.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:51:19 »

I've gone with Rooney to score first and England to win 2-0.
50/1

Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:52:32 »

De Rossi's been playing in the centre of the 3 hasn't he? No need to be worried about him.

As long as Parker does a job on Pirlo and we give Mario a few kicks early on, I think we'll do alright.

He has been yeh. Played a kind of sweeper role and looked very impressive, 'libero' would be the FM term I believe! Causes a lot of problems with his diagonal passes from the back. He'll probably be even more worrying now he's moved back into midfield, will give Pirlo a bit more of a license to do his thang. That said, Gerrard and Parker have been immense so far and if they can keep that level of performance up we should be OK.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 17:55:24 »

And the likelihood of us winning a penalty shootout isn't great.

How's that then? I make it about 50/50.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: