Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: luke mccormick  (Read 122574 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:35:01 »

But he did not make that totally wrong decision to drive with the intention of hurting anybody, any more than I did when I drove at 34mph in a 30mph zone.  I could so easily have gone round a corner and hit someone, and I would have been entirely responsible.  There is absolutely no justification in law for the principle 'It doesn't matter so long as I don't get found out'. That is just hypocrisy.

Just homing in on this paragraph (which, I appreciate, is just part of the point you were making), I find this way of thinking too simplistic.  Life is not black & white; there are many shades of grey inbetween...so to equate driving at 34 mph in a 30 mph limit (which everyone will have done) with McCormick's crime of driving at 97 mph on a motorway with a 70 mph limit, whilst intoxicated (which very few of us, hopefully, will have), makes no sense to me at all.  You would be as well arguing that stepping on an ant and killing it is no different to torturing a kitten to death.  Scale does matter, and it's the scale of McCormick's stupidity, together with the tragic consequences, that sets this apart for me.

Take your point about the tendency to make scapegoats and how unattractive that is...so I hope I am not contributing to that.  Certainly not my intention.  I just feel that McCormick crossed so far over the line that night that I'd rather he was not associated with the club I love.
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:42:12 »

Please dont tell me what he did was a mistake, he chose to drive, knowing that he was still pissed, he ignored pleas from friends, telling him not to drive. He is a cunt for what he did and i dont want him anywhere near this club. Big deal, he did 5 years, its 5 years that those little boys that he killed will never have the chance to see.    

Sad to say, i must be on my way
Flashheart

« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:46:55 »

It's odd that both macphlea and I have admitted to driving while way over the limit, yet there's not a smidgen of moral outrage to be seen.
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:48:05 »

And that makes it OK to do it?

BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:48:08 »

I may have a simplistic view.

There is a second part of justice called rehabilitation (and integration back into society). If he's done the punishment then he should be able to move on to the rehabilitation. This is a fundamental part of the justice system. Unless the person is still a danger to society, then he/she shouldn't be discriminated against when trying to get a job.

What doesn't sit right with me is that he's only served four years in jail for this crime. This for me is where the real issue lies.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:49:16 »

I don't want him here.

I come from a land down-under
Flashheart

« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:49:55 »

And that makes it OK to do it?

There's a point, and you missed it.
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:52:22 »

Ok, if it makes you feel any better, your a cunt for drink driving

@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:54:08 »

It's odd that both macphlea and I have admitted to driving while way over the limit, yet there's not a smidgen of moral outrage to be seen.

Or when half these cunts sat in the stands for Jimmy Davis memorial game who was lucky to hit a lorry and die rather than hit a car with a family in it...

Or when Michael Pook was convicted of drink driving and continued playing for the club...

For me it isn't just about whether someone seriously fucks up.  It's about how they conduct themselves when they seriously fuck up and how they go about trying to repair the damage they have done... Lee hughes is a spineless cunt who doesn't deserve a second chance.  McCormick is a stupid cunt who needs to prove to everyone he is worthy of a second chance
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:55:55 »

And there, in this thread, you have it neatly encapsulated: a split fanbase.

Brilliant.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:56:08 »

Ok, if it makes you feel any better, your a cunt for drink driving

But i was so drunk I can't remember driving...
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 08:57:32 »

My point is, anyone and i include myself in this , is a cunt if they drink drive. And i totally agree with what you are saying MacPhlea, its how they conduct themselves afterwards.  

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:05:24 »

He drove while pissed and killed 2 kids. I don't really give a fuck what he has to live with. Its not like he got up next day still over the limit is it.

Without wishing to defend the guy, that is exactly what happened in this situation. He went to a wedding, he drank too much, he went to bed, he got up, still over the limit and drove. He hit the family's car in the 90s.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:08:12 »

A split fanbase is only an issue to the club if attendances and other selling points start to drop purely because of this.

If he does sign permanently, I don't think they we'll see drops in the mentioned areas.

BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:17:45 »

its now a trending topic on twatter, going to be negative for the club...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: