Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are things really this bad?  (Read 7647 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 09:14:42 »

Sol Campbell did more in an Engalnd shirt than any of the others mentioned

Curse Shearer's elbows, curse 'em to hell!
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 09:19:59 »

Owen was world class, its just a pity he has suffered with injuries.

His hatrick against the Gerrrrrmans was brilliant, as was his goal against the Argies and the way he finished against Brazil.

Its sad to think he probably never reached his true potenial.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 09:24:51 »

I remember going to quite a few England games during the Sven era and looking back on it now it was so much more enjoyable than it is now. The fans were more up for it, players seemed more up for it and also playing friendlies and qualifiers in different parts of the country did wonders for the atmosphere at the games. I remember going to England vs Jamiaca just before the World Cup in 2006 at Old Trafford and it was surprisingly probably the best England game I've been to in terms of atmosphere, feel good factor etc. These days at Wembley it's painful to watch.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 09:29:35 »

I liked it when England were 'on the road'.

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 09:39:39 »

they still are.to nowhere
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 09:50:09 »

Owen was/proabably still is a class finisher, one of my favourite players in an England shirt because he seemed to care IMO.

Interview with Joey Barton on bbc sport website somewhere where he was saying that he thinks England should play all over the country and not just Wembley. Agree wholeheartedly with this, Wembley is soulless and more fans would be interested if they played in different locations. People from up north arent going to travel down to Wembley to watch a friendly on a Wednesday eve are they?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #51 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:12:49 »

People from up north arent going to travel down to Wembley to watch a friendly on a Wednesday eve are they?

Let em play in Scotland I say
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:15:04 »

yeah but, 'on the road' meant old tradford for competitive games and others for friendly games. that was a bit shit

i quite agree with going on the road,  but do it properly. will never happen, the fa have got a mortgage to pay..
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:17:54 »

Owen was/proabably still is a class finisher, one of my favourite players in an England shirt because he seemed to care IMO.

true, i think i'll stuggle to find a handful of names in the current setup who i think care.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:19:39 »

yeah but, 'on the road' meant old tradford for competitive games and others for friendly games. that was a bit shit

i quite agree with going on the road,  but do it properly. will never happen, the fa have got a mortgage to pay..

I think it was fair to give the northern based fans a bit of a mileage break for a few years.
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:24:09 »

I think it was fair to give the northern based fans a bit of a mileage break for a few years.

yeah that wasn't the FA's reason though, only financial reasons and its this culture thats ingrained into the players. they could have used st james park, stadium of light, there are loads up north.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:35:16 »

yeah that wasn't the FA's reason though, only financial reasons and its this culture thats ingrained into the players. they could have used st james park, stadium of light, there are loads up north.

My memory of it is it was only the WC 06 qualifying that was all at old -trafford. the rest was split evenly. I remember a crucial game against turkey being played at the stadium of light

Things get better but they never get good
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:38:25 »

My memory of it is it was only the WC 06 qualifying that was all at old -trafford. the rest was split evenly. I remember a crucial game against turkey being played at the stadium of light

i think you're right, i remember macedonia scoring past james (maybe?) from a corner at st marys - that was a qualifier but cant remeber what for

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:39:51 »

i think you're right, i remember macedonia scoring past james (maybe?) from a corner at st marys - that was a qualifier but cant remeber what for

Pretty sure that was Seaman.
BenTheRed

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, May 4, 2012, 10:46:55 »

Pretty sure that was Seaman.

ah yes, i wasn't very confident with my guess, didn't sound right.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: