Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Collingwood for Giles?  (Read 4019 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 20:40:05 »

....After a lengthy discussion in the pub last night....this seems the obvious move.

Gilo isn't going to take any wickets or score any runs.....in effect all he potentially offers is to go for 3 runs an over while the front 4 bowlers rest.

Collingwood could give a few decent overs, but crucially can bat and catch.

Windies when they had 4 quicks didn't bother with anything other than part time spinners and it didn't harm them.

I suppose Rob Key may comeback into the selectors thoughts, but I'm sure Bell wil get another test.
fatbury

« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 20:44:22 »

Prior for Geraint Jones .. move Vaughan up to open .. Move Pietersen up to number 4 ...
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 21:31:58 »

I'd probably stick with the same side that has been so successful over the last 18 months. There's no need for panic measures like in the 90s. If I were to do anything it would be Collingwood in for Giles but anything that is just suicide in my opinion.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 21:32:18 »

Please not Bobert Key  Sad
I was thinking the same thing earlier. But Old Trafford is a spinning paradise. Most teams play 2 spinners there.
Were doomed.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 21:34:37 »

It's Edgbaston next up. Giles' home ground. So sticking with the same side seems the best option.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 21:39:11 »

Quote from: "Boeta"
I'd probably stick with the same side that has been so successful over the last 18 months. There's no need for panic measures like in the 90s. If I were to do anything it would be Collingwood in for Giles but anything that is just suicide in my opinion.

Agree with that, but don't think home ground should necessarily come into it, Collingwood showed himself to be the kind of battling cricketer we need, in the one dayers....deserves a chance.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 21:43:20 »

'anything that' was meant to read 'anything other than that'
DMR

« Reply #7 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 22:33:45 »

Giles is ace  Cool
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 22:45:48 »

In my extremely wise cricket knowledge, I think spinners are mostly pointless except for reducing the run rate if the opposition are chasing runs.

I doubt the Aussies will be in that position very often this series.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 25, 2005, 22:53:56 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
In my extremely wise cricket knowledge, I think spinners are mostly pointless except for reducing the run rate if the opposition are chasing runs.

I doubt the Aussies will be in that position very often this series.

Spin bowlers have more or less disappeared from the English game, but its worth recalling that when we last won the Ashes in 86/87, both John Emburey and Phillipe Edmunds played in all 5 tests.

Since then we've probably only had Tuffers who could get a few out on a good day.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 03:05:38 »

Thats because we haven't had anyone who could spin the ball as much as say Warne or Murli etc. Tuffers could do it on a wicket that suited him, but Giles relies more on flight.

NMH 'There ARE no more heroes !'

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Spud

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 04:48:53 »

You cant drop the 'King Of Spain!'  
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 08:58:44 »

I'd probably stick with the same side that has been so successful over the last 18 months. There's no need for panic measures like in the 90s. If I were to do anything it would be Collingwood in for Giles but anything that is just suicide in my opinion

Agree ,on the last ashes tours we have never had consistency in selection[through injury,lack of form ect],and it has never done us any good.We need to keep the team together.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 12:55:57 »

i think we should keep the same side. giles and bell will be on their home ground next as has already been mentioned in this thread. Rob Key could be considered because he did ok against some of the aussies last time especially wet lee. but pieterson is playing really well so there is no need to bring Key in. As for alternative players to Giles i dont think there are any other spinners and we need a spinner.
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 14:38:01 »

As for alternative players to Giles i dont think there are any other spinners and we need a spinner.
I can't think of a replacement for ashley either,he has done a great job for us over the last year.Its only when you compare him to warne and murli that he looks sub-standard.But warne is a genius and murli [as much as i like the guy]is a chucker.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: