Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ideal Squad? (2012/2013)  (Read 10114 times)
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 09:37:13 »

After the relief of promotion yesterday I began thinking about the step up too league one and how our transfer dealings would look next season. And being a bit of an FM Geek with too much time on my hands I put myself in Paolo's shoes and drew up what my ideal squad for next season would look like.

It consists of 22 players; 2x Goalkeepers, 4x fullbacks, 4x centrebacks, 4x wingers, 2x defensive midfielders, 2x attacking midfielders and 4x strikers.

I presumed that we would be given 500k to spend (not including players sold & released) - Which I think will be about right. Considering how much investment the team has been given this year, and the fact Paolo will demand that the board matches his own ambitions of a second promotion push. So basically, i've added the players I would sign wether they are realistic or not is debatable but we've pulled some big signings out of the bag this season.

Foderingham
Smith
Caddis
Thompson
Flint
McCormack
Devera
Michael Bostwick - Stevenage (50-100k)
McEveley (free)
Cibocchi
Rooney
Ritchie
Holmes (free)
Gary Roberts - Huddersfield (100-150k)
Ferry
Smith
Cox
Marlon Pack - Cheltenham (200-250k)
Benson
Bodin
Paul Hayes - Charlton (50-100k)
Nigel Hasselbaink - St Mirren (Free/Compensation)

Out: Risser, Connell, Magera, Gabilondo, Esajas, Kennedy, De Vita, Scott, Lanzano, Kerrouche.

Obviously Di Canio wont get rid of ALL of those players because we know he likes to have a bigger squad. But if we were forced to have two players for every position this is how I would see the outgoings.

Agree or disagree with my picks/valuations I think that looks a pretty decent squad. Capable of a playoff push in League One. What would be your ideal squad? P.S Apologies for the essay  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 09:38:58 by Cibocchi_Is_God » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 09:41:20 »

I've been trying very hard not to think about next season too much until this one is over....then take a break form STFC for the close season, and focus on cricket with a distraction of the Euros and Olympics.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 09:44:05 »

I've been trying very hard not to think about next season too much until this one is over....then take a break form STFC for the close season, and focus on cricket with a distraction of the Euros and Olympics.

I'm afraid I dont have your resolve! I spend all summer thinking about the next season/counting down the days until opening day...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 09:49:29 »

I'm afraid I dont have your resolve! I spend all summer thinking about the next season/counting down the days until opening day...

You should try it...we've had a lot of people saying PdC needs a break, which is true, but so do the fans. It's like the natural rhythm of the seasons...part of being British.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 09:53:24 »

You should try it...we've had a lot of people saying PdC needs a break, which is true, but so do the fans. It's like the natural rhythm of the seasons...part of being British.

True. But as a youngling without much interest in international football I find it hard not to get fixated with STFC! Will be enjoying the cricket in the summer tho...
adje

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:07:13 »

Add to the outs Smith x2 and Thompson

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:07:42 »

Marlon Pack in from Cheltnumb, James Collins in from Screwsbury, A.N Other Centre Back and Centre Midfield and one more striker who is quick and a back up keeper.

I would like to keep McEveley and Holmes and maybe a season long loan of Bostock.

I feel he will keep Risser for another season because of his fitness and he trains well but he will be a squad player next season, I feel he may well keep Gabilondo and Connell as well as squad players.

He will get rid of Magera, Esajas, Kennedy, De Vita, Lanzano, Kerrouche & P Smith.

I mentioned a year ago about getting Hasslbiank in on a free from Hamilton after I went to see Hamilton play last season, he has quick feet and great close control but his finishing is a bit wayward but he would be available for cheap I would think as his contract is out at St Mirren in the summer.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:15:35 »

Add to the outs Smith x2 and Thompson

Ya reckon? All three are pretty decent back up IMO - Happy to play a rotation part, are on low wages and it means we dont need to waste resources finding replacement back up.

Marlon Pack in from Cheltnumb, James Collins in from Screwsbury, A.N Other Centre Back and Centre Midfield and one more striker who is quick and a back up keeper.

I would like to keep McEveley and Holmes and maybe a season long loan of Bostock.

I feel he will keep Risser for another season because of his fitness and he trains well but he will be a squad player next season, I feel he may well keep Gabilondo and Connell as well as squad players.

He will get rid of Magera, Esajas, Kennedy, De Vita, Lanzano, Kerrouche & P Smith.

I mentioned a year ago about getting Hasslbiank in on a free from Hamilton after I went to see Hamilton play last season, he has quick feet and great close control but his finishing is a bit wayward but he would be available for cheap I would think as his contract is out at St Mirren in the summer.

Really like the look of Hasselbaink. Seen him play a few times, bit rough round the edges as you say, but he's very explosive and with the right coaching could be a real player...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:19:27 »

Hasselbaink is very similar to Kuffour in build and style but is much better than Kuffour already at the age of just 21, would be a good capture and can play out wide as well as a striker.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:19:41 »

True. But as a youngling without much interest in international football I find it hard not to get fixated with STFC! Will be enjoying the cricket in the summer tho...

Yup, I look forward to the opening day again.

Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:21:53 »

Risser could still do a job.

It's not always about quality, but about fitting square pegs into square holes. We will find ourselves under pressure from teams more next season and Risser's physicality could be just what we need in some games.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:23:37 »

Di Canio's unstable behaviour at the moment suggests that anything can happen between now and August.

Plenty of strengthening is needed or we'll struggle like Chesterfield have this season.

It's going to be another interesting summer.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:26:13 »

Risser could still do a job.

It's not always about quality, but about fitting square pegs into square holes. We will find ourselves under pressure from teams more next season and Risser's physicality could be just what we need in some games.

Partially agree. He's good for when we're up against sides that will just hoof the ball at us for 90 minutes, but he could struggle with the pace of League One. He sometimes goes missing against teams who keep the ball on the deck, think Crewe. - They passed triangles round him meaning our whole centre midfield was taken out of the game.

PDC will probably keep him though tbf, which I dont mind as I like him as a bloke and he can do a job...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:27:59 »

They got us promoted so give them all a chance next season.

L1 is not a big step up at all. We've had enough seasons there to know this.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:35:10 »

I agree with DV but get rid of the deadwood such as Esajas, Kerrouche, Magera etc. If i'm being honest we're going to need 2 more strikers. Benson will be alright but Murray and Connell will struggle at that level. Could do with another CM as well and probably a CB and back up RB for Caddis.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: