Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: County Ground Re-development  (Read 29421 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 19:33:37 »

Why can't you believe it?

The current board have said similar hopeful ETA's and then BAM! relegation.

I think it's completely understandable to hold off excitement until the contractors roll in.

What's an ETA?? Huh?

That aside, it's pretty obvious that the current board are taking the club forward and relegation was an unwelcome and surprising blip - but that's all it was. I am sure if their aim is to redevelop the ground then it will happen. It will take some time but will happen nonetheless.

People saying "I'll believe it when I see it" (or words to that effect), suggests to me that they think the board are saying this stuff about ground redevelopment just for the hell of it. Which they are clearly not. Unlike previous regimes, this lot clearly have the financial wherewithal and ability to get it done.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 19:36:06 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 19:44:53 »

I don't think it's the board people are aiming it at, For me I wonder more about the stumbling blocks the council will no doubt throw at us.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 19:54:52 »

What's an ETA?? Huh?

That aside, it's pretty obvious that the current board are taking the club forward and relegation was an unwelcome and surprising blip - but that's all it was. I am sure if their aim is to redevelop the ground then it will happen. It will take some time but will happen nonetheless.

People saying "I'll believe it when I see it" (or words to that effect), suggests to me that they think the board are saying this stuff about ground redevelopment just for the hell of it. Which they are clearly not. Unlike previous regimes, this lot clearly have the financial wherewithal and ability to get it done.

ETA is an estimated time of arrival (which admittedly is probably the wrong term to use).

"see it to believe it" comments are not digs towards the board, we know what they're all about but the redevelopment subject is a long, drawn out one so I can understand cynicism from people.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 20:15:03 »

I'll believe it when I see it  Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 22:52:24 »

Said it before, but we have the potential to bring about one of the more exciting redevelopments in recent years.  Location is everything...and the County Ground is perfect in that respect.  We just need a decent firm of architects to make the most of the site.  And for the Council and the Club to agree mutually beneficial terms for a sale of the site to the Club.  The previous debacle/attempt at redevelopment by the Diamandis Crew focused attention on the importance (quite rightly) of the Swindon council tax payer being given value for money...so hopefully that lesson has been learned.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 22:56:33 by Ardiles » Logged
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 22:56:04 »

I said that but at the same time I don't think the board are saying it for the hell of it. A lot of fans will be weary when it comes to ground redevelopment or the mention of a new ground for us because of what has happened in the past. This board is different and in the past it's been the council who have provided a big stumbling block, so I think from my point of view it's more 'I'll see it when I believe it when I hear it from the councils side rather than from the current board'.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, June 7, 2012, 22:58:34 »

Said it before, but we have the potential to bring about one of the more exciting redevelopments in recent years.  Location is everything...and the County Ground is perfect in that respect.  We just need a decent firm of architects to make the most of the site.  And for the Council and the Club to agree mutually beneficial terms for a sale of the site to the Club.  The Shaw Tip debacle focused attention on the importance (quite rightly) of the Swindon council tax payer being given value for money...so hopefully that lesson has been learned.

To buy the CG would cost a serious amount of money...and in a business sense not be worth it...just can't see it happening.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 02:09:27 »

How much is the CG worth though?

I got the impression before that the Council valued it based on the potential of the site if it was fully redeveloped, which I guess would be £10m plus. I don't buy this argument as kicking the club out isn't really a viable option and it's dependent upon someone else (the club) taking a massive financial risk.

On the other hand, if you based the value on the current return the Council gets of about £200k a year rent then I guess you'd be looking at something like £4m to £5m.

I get that the Council can't sell it off cheaply for someone else to make a profit but I struggle to see how anyone would make that much money out of the club, especially if there is something to cover them if the club move to a new ground out of town and sell the land for housing. Plus football clubs are a special case due to the role they play in the community and the last year with PDC has been good for the town as a whole.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 05:55:05 »

I think the Town End re-development will be the most interesting aspect as it has the most potential for additional space that can be used to offset the cost of building.  I was looking through and found this booklet from Frank Whittle who are designing the new stands.

Http://democracy.york.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=19763

you'll have to paste it into google i'm afraid....

first time poster blah blah blah

Page 12 has a ring of the DRS about it...
DRS

« Reply #39 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 06:02:11 »

Calling me fat
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 06:47:36 »

Calling me fat

No, just the size of a concourse...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 08:24:31 »

How much is the CG worth though?

I got the impression before that the Council valued it based on the potential of the site if it was fully redeveloped, which I guess would be £10m plus. I don't buy this argument as kicking the club out isn't really a viable option and it's dependent upon someone else (the club) taking a massive financial risk.

On the other hand, if you based the value on the current return the Council gets of about £200k a year rent then I guess you'd be looking at something like £4m to £5m.

I get that the Council can't sell it off cheaply for someone else to make a profit but I struggle to see how anyone would make that much money out of the club, especially if there is something to cover them if the club move to a new ground out of town and sell the land for housing. Plus football clubs are a special case due to the role they play in the community and the last year with PDC has been good for the town as a whole.

Unfortunately the officers of SBC view STFC as a business/tenant like any other....the present political overlords main connection to STFC is an unhealthy desire to get into bed with a former Town chairman.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 08:40:11 »

Surely hunt has shot himself in both feet with wifi and other failings.

In the current financial climate I can't believe the council would pooh pooh the idea without reason
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 08:48:53 »

Surely hunt has shot himself in both feet with wifi and other failings.

In the current financial climate I can't believe the council would pooh pooh the idea without reason

The point is Batch, the decision makers, have proved themselves not to be figures motivated by civic altruism.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, June 8, 2012, 08:51:36 »

To buy the CG would cost a serious amount of money...and in a business sense not be worth it...just can't see it happening.

That's a fair point.  And I have no idea whether purchase of the freehold is in the Club's business plan either.  My thinking - and this is complete guesswork - is that the market value of the site is going to be adversely affected by a couple of factors.  Firstly, the Goddard family covenant.  I've never seen anything in writing, but a lot of people seem to think that this stipulates the site can only be used for leisure purposes...which, if true, would exclude other commercial interests from using the site, thus lowering the market value.  And secondly, the Broadgreen area is hardly the best looked after part of Swindon, so I would take any talk of a 'prime site' with a pinch of salt.

If the Club does buy, it would almost certainly need to take on some debt to finance it...and it would then depend whether the cost of servicing that debt would be any less than the cost of paying rent to the Council.  And there's a chance (again, no more than a hunch) that it might...so wouldn't rule out a purchase of the site, especially if the redevelopment plans are ambitious enough for the Club to want to own the site outright.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: