Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coming to Burton?  (Read 2970 times)
Burtontricky

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 18:55:12 »

Greetings Swindon fans.

Glad to see you share our view of Steve Evans. The man really is a clown. Many years ago when we were a Southern League club and he was at Boston we drew them in the FA Cup. We got a draw away (despite Evans racing on the pitch all the time shouting at the ref!). Afterwards he stated in the media that they had been held to a draw by a pub team. Suffice to see the chants of “You’ll Never Beat the Pub Team” that rang around our old ground as we stuck 3 past them in the replay  didn’t amuse him. We’ve been baiting the clown ever since!

Last time he brought his team to Burton he was heckled so much he ended up being red carded!

That aside, we are a pretty friendly bunch if your name isn’t Steve Evans and you don’t refer to us in a sentance containing the expression “the likes of Burton “bl###y” Albion” if we happen to get a result against you ( Oxford and Plymouth take note).

Anyway the reason i thought id drop by is to recommend an away fan friendly pub in Burton that is 10 minutes walk from the ground, Its called the “Wetmore Whistle” and is on Wetmore Road. The beer (and cider) is good, food should be on this Saturday, but if not there is a great chippy next door.
We have had bus loads of away fans in the past (though if you are taking a bus load can you let Ben the landlord know so he can get enough staff on). Drop by and say hello on your first visit to Englands “Brewing Capital”
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 19:56:38 »

We don't get many Burton Albion fans on here so I'm just going to ask the question we're all* thinking.

Q: Michael Pook's hat-trick... HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!

* Not everyone will be thinking this
Wooly

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 20:06:54 »

thanks for the heads up, you got skysports there?

Used to sit in the Arkells before finally discovering the joys of the town end.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 20:09:59 »

That aside, we are a pretty friendly bunch if your name isn’t Steve Evans and you don’t refer to us in a sentance containing the expression “the likes of Burton “bl###y” Albion” if we happen to get a result against you ( Oxford and Plymouth take note).

Any right minded Town fan, (not in a political sense) will know that we're entering a traditional hot bed of football.

Burton is the only place outside of London that can boast having had 4 Football League clubs in it's history.  I'm talking traditional boundaries here.

Albion having been preceded by Swifts, Wanderers, and United.

Unfortunately in today's febrile climate, right minded fans are in short supply.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 20:21:55 »

Burton is the only place outside of London that can boast having had 4 Football League clubs in it's history.  I'm talking traditional boundaries here.

I knew this but one has to respect the Smeeton-DV Method by allowing the designated few whip out the trivia/statistics.
Burtontricky

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 20:49:45 »

We don't get many Burton Albion fans on here so I'm just going to ask the question we're all* thinking.

Q: Michael Pook's hat-trick... HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!

* Not everyone will be thinking this

Quite the most bizaare and (depressing in some ways) game ive ever seen. Ive re-read my own blog to see what happened..but i obviously shut out the traumatic experience. Sorry

http://beerandbovril.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html
Burtontricky

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 21:00:46 »

thanks for the heads up, you got skysports there?

Sadly just been stopped due to the ridiculous price it costs for a local pub to have it. Got a couple of big screens and Ben is hoping to get that foreign satelite channel that shows all the Prem matches very soon.

Its hard to justify £800 a month in terms of how many extra pints having Sky Sports brings in to a non big chain pub!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 22:00:51 »

Sadly just been stopped due to the ridiculous price it costs for a local pub to have it. Got a couple of big screens and Ben is hoping to get that foreign satelite channel that shows all the Prem matches very soon.

Its hard to justify £800 a month in terms of how many extra pints having Sky Sports brings in to a non big chain pub!

I for one am glad as I can't bloody stand pubs with sky, If you want to watch telly stay at home, grumble, mumble, grumble.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: