Poll
Question: For the wrong and right reasons and why?
99/01 A  Walsall 0-0 Skint
00/01 H 0-0 Colchester  Oh Todd
01/02 H 0-0 Peterborough  Danny Donegan
02/03 H 3-1 Barnsley Parkin
03/04 H 2-3 Wednesday Eyeglue
04/05 A Wrexham 2-1  Caton?
05/06 A Barnsley 2-0 Cureton Cunt
06/07 A Hartlepool 0 - 1 Cock
07/08 Northampton 1-1 BEST Ever?
08/09 H 3-1 Tranmere  Oh Maurice
09/10 A 0-5 Gillingham Charlie loves Charlie
10/11 H 2- 1 Bummers Oh Dear
11/12 H 3-0 Crewe Facist Crackers

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your most memorable opening game of the season in past 12 years?  (Read 3274 times)
Dazzza

« on: Saturday, August 6, 2011, 22:33:10 »

03/04 for me.

Mooney, Parkin, Eyeglue and good old Bart Griemink.  Something about that side that despite not being the best was full of characters.  Shit result but cracking game and the scoreline summed up that side and that season.

bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 6, 2011, 22:56:17 »

03/04 for me.

Mooney, Parkin, Eyeglue and good old Bart Griemink.  Something about that side that despite not being the best was full of characters.  Shit result but cracking game and the scoreline summed up that side and that season.
Wasn't it about 150 degrees?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 6, 2011, 23:24:01 »

Barnsley for Parkins hat trick

03/04 the loss to Sheffield Wednesday was such an odd game, they battered us for 20 minutes - season tickets throw on the pitch, then we woke up and dominated the rest of the game but only got to.

I left 3 stone lighter and looking like i'd just got out of a swimming pool but new despite defeat we'd do well that year. Stopped for a McFlurry from McDonalds at greenbridge on the way home to lots of abuse from the Wednesday fans, calling me a scrubber! and asking what is was like to see a real team. I just smiled I said we'll finish above you. They already thought they were champions!!

04/05 away at Barnsley - Cureton and Thorpe upfront, Pook on the left wing - 11 minutes onto that game I told my mate we'd be relegated

Hartlepool was also memorable for the whole Brezovan playing like, well like the best goal keeper in the world on speed having the game of his life. It was one of the most one sided games I've ever seen and we ran out totally undeserved 1-0 winners.

After that, blah
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 01:58:14 »

Great poll....although I'd like a historic extension. In the time frame, I'd agree with the Wendies game, lots of reasons. Running a close second, I'd go for Cobblers away....TEF clique love in.....missed the Parkin hat trick, but remember being reclined on some hotel bed in France, getting the result on the radio and thinking who is this Parkin fellow.

Outside the time frame, Port Vale home 82 springs to mind, on the west coast of Ireland and deciding to pedal across the Erin Isle and get an overnight ferry in order to join 3000 others to see Paul Rideout nod one in to win our first ever game in Div 4. Back then you'd go on the Bank early season as it was sunny...once the weather turned a bit it was back to the TE.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 06:31:57 »

Call yourself a fan dv, the barnsley game was 05/06.

Tut tut
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 07:33:08 »

I didn't see the Parkin hatrick so ruled that out.

So for me it was 2003-04. The game itself was indeed a bit jackyl and hyde, 3-0 inside 25 minutes and bottles entering the field of play from the Town End after Kuqi (I think) celebrated the third in front of us. We did make a decent fist of some sort of comeback but not enough.

However the football was completely irrelevant that day as the black cloud descended on the County Ground when it was confirmed the Jimmy Davis had died in a car crash. The Town End sang his name with heavy heart, god knows how the  players that actually knew him got through the game.

And people that sing "that" Oxford song should remember this day and think.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 08:49:22 »

I have gone for 08/09 home to Tranmere, because I still feel hurt that it was such a false dawn.

I was so full of hope at the beginning of that season, and not being a football oracle I thought at the time Malpas was a good appointment, how wrong I was.

Thinking about it, I don't feel hurt over a false dawn, more embarrassment that I backed Malpas for so long into that season.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 09:48:36 »

My most memorable opening day game was the 3-1 defeat to Sheff Utd away in our first ever Premiership game,about three thousand Town fans packed in the away end and i can vividly remember Moncur's cheeky equaliser.
In recent years yesterdays win was up there,played really well second half and a great atmosphere.
Dozno9

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 09:59:44 »

The Barnsley game if only for my prediction to my brother-in-law that Parkin would get a hat-trick. One of the very few times any of my predictions has become reality.

Doore

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 10:01:09 »

Parkin's hat-trick against Barnsley for me.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 10:01:41 »

Outside the time frame, Port Vale home 82 springs to mind

This was my first ever game. Sat in the NS half way between the Bank and the halfway line. I can still smell the cigar smoke every time I go into the NS. At five years old, I had never seen so many people or heard so much noise.

I became addicted on that day.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 10:16:23 »

Hartlepool away, Brezovan two pen saves.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 10:19:21 »

This was my first ever game. Sat in the NS half way between the Bank and the halfway line. I can still smell the cigar smoke every time I go into the NS. At five years old, I had never seen so many people or heard so much noise.

I became addicted on that day.

To Cigars? Grin

Can anyone remember Rideout having a perfectly good goal wiped out at Luton in a snowy cup match...or is it a distant dream.
Think we lost 2-1.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 10:32:17 »

To Cigars? Grin

Can anyone remember Rideout having a perfectly good goal wiped out at Luton in a snowy cup match...or is it a distant dream.
Think we lost 2-1.

No not cigars dude, the Town! 

Wish I could have been there yesterday but hopefully I'll get back in September and take in a couple of games.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Spencer_White

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 10:52:18 »

Best was Hartlepool away, most memorable was definitely the Wednesday game. A real spectacle.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: