Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Question for all of you that live in Swindon  (Read 1394 times)
westyorksnffc

Ignore
« on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:01:02 »

Quick question, when I was at college in Swindon in 1994/95, a lot was being done at the time to try and make Swindon a city.  Now I know that the last time city status was handed out it went to Reading, Preston and one other if memory serves me correctly?  But has Swindon Borough Council or Wiltshire County Council done any more to try and get city status?

I believe there are more to be handed out soon, and I know Doncaster are currently looking in to this.

Forest 'til I die, but a closet Town follower!
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:05:19 »

I believe there was something in the local paper a week or two ago saying they're not going to bother just yet, and lo and behold a google search later and here's a link   Cheesy

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/5043107.Is_city_status_hope__now_gone_forever_/
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:08:22 »

I don't think we've applied for City status for the Queens Diamond Jubilee.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:11:14 »

The Swindon bid in 2002 (which, I think, was won by Wolverhampton not Reading) was badly received, and I think the penny has dropped since then that there is so much that needs to be put right before the town can have another tilt at city status.  I think it's quite right that Swindon sits this one out.  The failure to attract a permanent seat of higher education and the protracted delays surrounding the various redevelopment projects in central Swindon really have not helped.

Looks as if Reading is the front runner this time around.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:12:45 »

We have applied since 1994 though, Millenium or Queens Golden Jubilee in 2002. And more recently?

I'm glad, it saves a whole debate on whether we'd be called Swindon FC or Swindon City FC.

westyorksnffc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:21:18 »

Cheers guys, I must admit, when I went back to Swindon last year for the first time in around 8 years or so, I was shocked to see just how little had changed in the centre itself, in-fact apart from Swindon College being completely ran down and a few new bars popping up in Fleet Street, it was exactly as I remembered it in 94/95.

At the time West Swindon was the new urban area in Swindon, but I got a chance to see some of the new urban area in North Swindon whilst I was down your way, and it seems very impressive.  It was all fields before.

I hope Swindon does keep trying for city status, maybe now isn't the time though, what with government cut backs and a severity in decreased funding for these so called ventures, but also maybe having the cities of Bath, Bristol, Gloucester and Oxford on your doorstep donesn't help?

Forest 'til I die, but a closet Town follower!
DMR

« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:26:01 »

Is there actually any tangible benefit of being a city?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:27:18 »

You have it in a nutshell there.  The suburbs continue to expand in to the countryside, but the town centre has gone precisely nowhere.  The boom town of the 1980s has kind of stalled on that front...which is a massive shame and a huge missed opportunity.  I last lived in Swindon in 1999 and I find myself thinking just the same as you when I'm back.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:37:27 »

We have that awesome fountain.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
nochee

« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:41:04 »

I would like to know the answer to this too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:42:38 »

Fountain/urinal/vandal magnet. Its a utility fountain.

Oh, and we got rid of the cover thing outside of Debenhams. And made the flower sellers and doughnut makers move. And put in some shit lights in the pavement outside the Brunel. And tidy up the pavement a bit.

I can only imagine this investment has sent shock waves through the county, and the CBD's sphere of influence is now so big people now come to shop from as far afield as Blunsdon to visit our rejuvenate town.

That, or most people still see Swindon centre as a bit shit. But without the flowers.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:43:27 »

Exactly. You can label something all you want but it's still the same place with the same stuff.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 12:43:44 »

Also we have all of those high quality pubs in the top end of town which just ooze class!  Crying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: