Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pre-season Trialists  (Read 4537 times)
Weasel

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 06:48:30 »

I hope we have a few lesser-known trialists turning up for pre-season again, but it's made me think - who was the best one we've trialled and let go? (the Anti-Dossevi)

And whatever happened to Rodrigo Turnes? I'm guessing he wasn't as good as his name / stepovers at the FGR (?) friendly under Wise?
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 07:42:37 »

I wanna see Yoann Arquin again.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:02:05 »

Probably the best trialist I ever saw was Bernard Tchoutang a Cameroon international striker/midfielder similar in build and style to Jayjay Okocha.

Too lightweight really for us at the time but fantastic ball skills and a good shot on him, played in 2 or 3 friendlies back in the early late 90's early 2000's IIRC, not sure which manager but I think it was Muckmarn.

Whoever it was at the time said he wouldnt offer hima contract because he couldnt guarentee what he would be like on a wet Wednesday at Hartlepool.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiscoDazR

http://twitter.com/DiscoDazR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:08:26 »

Legend has it (And it was fairly widely reported at the time) that Tchoutang refused to wear boots during training. He said he'd always trained bare foot throughout his career and McMahon was having none of it. Does beg the question "surely he must have trained barefoot before the friendlies?" but hey...why let common sense get in the way of a great story!!

Probably the best trialist I ever saw was Bernard Tchoutang a Cameroon international striker/midfielder similar in build and style to Jayjay Okocha.

Too lightweight really for us at the time but fantastic ball skills and a good shot on him, played in 2 or 3 friendlies back in the early late 90's early 2000's IIRC, not sure which manager but I think it was Muckmarn.

Whoever it was at the time said he wouldnt offer hima contract because he couldnt guarentee what he would be like on a wet Wednesday at Hartlepool.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:13:47 »

Roger Boli (brother of Basil) was quite handy. We played Spurs in a pre-season game in about '97 and he'd literally come accross on the ferry from Le Havre that morning. He looked quite decent (Walters scored one of the best goals I've seen at the CG) and we drew 2-2. Didn't sign him and he ended up at Walsall where he did pretty well I seem to remember. Went on to play for Bournemouth and Dundee Utd.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:23:18 »

We had hassan kachloul on trial once.

Again, mcmahon let him go.

The aids ridden cunt
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:23:26 »

Legend has it (And it was fairly widely reported at the time) that Tchoutang refused to wear boots during training. He said he'd always trained bare foot throughout his career and McMahon was having none of it. Does beg the question "surely he must have trained barefoot before the friendlies?" but hey...why let common sense get in the way of a great story!!

Yeah I seem to remember that now and yes OST Roger Boli was a pretty good player, wasnt he here at the same time as Tchoutang? didn't they have the same African agent?

Barry Scott

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:24:31 »

Freddy Eastwood? Didn't we also trial Zamora at one point?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:45:34 »

Freddy Eastwood? Didn't we also trial Zamora at one point?

Freddy Eastwood had a reserve trial for us mid season and scored 3 goals but didn't want to move far from his caravan in Essex.

I don't remember Zamora having a trial but I do know that we made a bid for him before he went to Brighton.

Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:48:52 »

todd signed alexander for what, 350,000?  this was after king told him we should sign zamora and was told he'd be available for 90,000...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:52:03 »

The problem is that nowadays we field most of our triallists against amateur sides as opposed to our bigger fixtures. They do well, score goals and are sent packing because, if we're honest, the club were never that bothered in signing them in the first place.

Thomas Dossevi was always going to sign but was given a match against Forest.

I wonder who our most succesful triallist turned permanent signing is.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:56:26 »

parkin?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 09:59:12 »

Jimmy Quinn played 1 game on trial for the reserves when he was at Oswestry Town and he did pretty well for us.

We had a brilliant trialist from Shepshed back in the Macari days in the 80's played 3 reserve games and scored a couple in each game but wouldnt sign for us as we offered less wages than he could get as a part time footballer and a bricklayer, shame because he had potential but drifted deeper in non league, Steve Tobin was his name IIRC.

But pre season trialists we never seem to do very well from, certainly not in recent years.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 10:00:00 »

parkin?

I am pretty sure Parkin never actually trialed with us, he came in the day before the season started on loan I think.

Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 10:04:19 »

he was on the cornwall trip in pre season then signed for 50,000 following that i think
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: