Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just a thought  (Read 1968 times)
adje

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 11:59:06 »

Do you think that King will try to sell Rory to free up funds for a midfield player?He's going to miss the first few games and therefore likely to struggle to get in the side.Personally I'd rather we sold Roberts.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 12:07:37 »

No.....
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 13:29:13 »

Who would want to buy Rory?  Not that he is bad , but I don't think many teams in our league have much transfer money.  We should definetely keep Roberts as he is a good playmaker.
Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 13:53:23 »

If we are to play 4-4-2 i think there is room to get rid of one of them, if we play with the player in the hole i think Roberts would fill that quite well.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 14:13:46 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
No.....

Why not?  I for one am surprised at the signing of Thorpe at 31 years of age, and am not sure he'll be an improvement on what we've already got.  4 strikers and a very promising youth player seems an extravagance for a team with such dire financial troubles and a threadbare squad in other positions, notably midfield.

Talking to a Rushden fan, the rumours are again circulating in there camp of a Burgess for Fallon swop again.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 14:36:13 »

Thorpe is a quality signing I think, QPR fans didn't want him to go, last season in this league just the season before last he managed a goal every two games and all the reports from qpr fans are that the only thing that stopped him doing it again in the championship was a couple of injuries that kept him out for much of the season. Now fit, he is another proven goalscorer at this level.

He's always scored goals throughout his career, averaging well over 15 a season and a superb 31 one year which was the highest of any player in the country.

He is younger than Mooney was when he came here.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 14:37:24 »

I still think he's a luxury - out of the signings of Thorpe and Cureton, I'd have assumed Cureton was the bigger name and has age on his side.  I'm glad to have signed him, if we can afford him, but do you think we've still got resources to get enough decent personnel in midfield?
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 14:49:56 »

Thorpe and Cureton have similar goalscoring records but Thorpe's is slightly better.

He's also attracted far higher transfer fees as city paid a million for him.

Even a city fan on otib described him as:

In my opinion one of the most talented players at City in recent years. Natural gift probably only bettered by Liam Rosenior.

Gets in good positions, puts the ball away, superb touch and scores. Also believe his out of the box work is far better than many people say.

My question mark over him is more his ambition than attitude. He's taken moves to places like QPR even though they had a few good strikers, possibly too happy to get paid well not progress.

I think Cureton and Thorpe will both see Swindon as their last chance to do something and will do very well. I guess slight questions over attitude of both and whether they can play together but I think that those two up front will produce somewhere in the region of 35-40 goals.

The big question is who will get the most stick from City fans. Or could Roberts beat them both?

Difficult to say which is the bigger name, they are both big names.

I am sure King will be able to get a couple more decent midfielders.
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 15:16:52 »

I want burgess :twisted:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: