Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Things to do in London for a couple of days...?  (Read 6345 times)
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 23:46:58 »

Me and the missus are off to London for my birthday in late April and I'm after some suggestions on what to see or do.  She loves shopping (I hate it) and I love museums and galleries (she finds them boring) so finding something we're both going to enjoy could be a bit tricky. 

So far I'm planning the usual so London Eye, one or two parks (maybe Kew), Covent Garden, etc. but the more suggestions from you guys the better.

Ta.

Edit: we'll be there for 3 days, 2 nights. 
DMR

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 23:52:16 »

Do your own thing all day, meet at the hotel for a bit of wining and dining then retire to your overpriced room and go to town on her.

No need to thank me x
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 23:59:44 »

Not been there but this sounds like a half way house:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/

There's a few film related musuems as well, which tend to be a bit more interesting for someone not so into Egyptian artefacts.

Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 00:01:47 »

I'm not a big shopping fan myself but went to Camden market with my old man and sister and actually enjoyed it!

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 07:17:14 »

Portebello Road Market on Saturdays is fucking huge, with something for you and her. On one of the adjacent roads there's the biggest second hand bookshop I've ever been in, amazing place!

It's All Good..............
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 07:35:08 »

Portebello Road Market on Saturdays is fucking huge, with something for you and her. On one of the adjacent roads there's the biggest second hand bookshop I've ever been in, amazing place!
dammit, another post i agree with

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 07:51:56 »

dammit, another post i agree with

I'm getting worried now...

It's All Good..............
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:02:46 »

The circle line challenge.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:04:13 »

Oh and better than Portobello road market is Spitalfields, Up Market and Brick lane market. All on a sunday and in the same area.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
iffy

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:04:41 »

River trip to Greenwich? Museums, the meridian, big parks, nice market square and some interesting little shops?
iffy

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:05:23 »

Good shout on Spitalfields, too. That whole Brick Lane/Spitalfields complex is worth a couple of hours.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:44:20 »

I hope you sang the song from bedknobs & broomsticks??
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 08:57:29 »

Theres lots to do round where I work (London Bridge):

Clink prison museum - although its a museum its pretty animated/themed so not boring

Borough Market - worth wandering around although mainly food (I managed to eat enough free samples last Friday to warrant me not buying lunch!)

Vinopolis - wine tasting - they have a nice brasserie too which could be fun to do?  Some of the wine tours look pretty good

Fashion and Textile museum - compromise of clothes and museum maybe?

Shakespeares Globe Theatre?

Theres also the new-ish 'London Bridge Experience' which is quite grusome, but entertaining none the less - queues are pretty hefty at weekends though
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 09:05:38 »

Probably should've mentioned that we're going mid-week (between the two bank holidays) so markets, etc on Saturdays/Sundays aren't on the cards. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far, certainly giving me food for though. 

Please keep them coming. 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 09:12:23 »

Visit the Harp pub in Covent garden, the Camra pub of the year, great beers at good prices and lovely hot sossie sandwiches, me and the missus went there a month ago and had 2 baguettes of hot sossie with onions, and 2 pints of good real ale for £11.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: