Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why why why  (Read 5123 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:36:12 »

Do we have to get involved with the situation in Libya ??

I know, its all about oil.

Just heard on the wireless that the UN has given the go ahead for military airstrikes.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:37:27 »

We do seem to be pretty selective as to which dictators are unacceptable and which aren't.

Mugabe continues to run his country into the ground with impunity.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:40:00 »

delilah?
---------
Its all a bit of a mess isn't it. One where we pick and choose which countries we interfere with, like we have some mandate of World Police - albeit with UN backing of sorts.

Do you see us helping out Bahrain, or Zimbabwe either. noooooo. might piss too many people off.

edit: LR got there first.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:40:45 »

gadaffi has been left alone for years to do as he liked.as soon as there is an uprising we are all over it.oil oil oil.riches we need.

tans

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:41:15 »

Good point.

We dont get anything from zimbabwe though, this is probably the reason.

Still dont see why we have to get involved though
tans

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:41:50 »

Summed up above
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:44:50 »

Burma have been killing their people for years.

Nobody is sorting them out though, and it's an ex-British colony.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 09:55:34 »

Policy tends to be based on the best interests of those the politicians serve (Supposedly).

While it may be morally questionable not to be involved in conflicts where 1000's of people are being slaughtered, it is not within other countries mandates to become involved (Unless you're the US).

This all goes out the window when intervention is seen as beneficial to others. In other words, if there's oil involved we are interested, if it's just genocide with no oil involved we aren't.

It's All Good..............
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:08:47 »

I'm surprised how blasé the government(s) seem to be about it this time though. After the protests and criticism they recieved for going into Iraq, I'll be amazed if there isn't a similar reaction from people if the US drags us into serious military intervention in Libya.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:10:48 »

I'm surprised how blasé the government(s) seem to be about it this time though. After the protests and criticism they recieved for going into Iraq, I'll be amazed if there isn't a similar reaction from people if the US drags us into serious military intervention in Libya.

But this time they've got the support of The Arab League.

So everything's kosher!

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:12:20 »

So everything's kosher!

Smiley

Assuming that was done on purpose!
Highland Robin

« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:16:19 »

Good point.

We dont get anything from zimbabwe though, this is probably the reason.

Still dont see why we have to get involved though

And this is the shallowness of so much of the debate about development/free trade/"the third world".  Actually, before Mugabe went off the rails (and remember for many years he was actually a model ruler), Zimbabwe was one of the wealthiets and most forward-looking countries in Africa, with a huge agricultural industry that led it to be called 'the bread basket of Africa".  It could have been one of the key stabilizing influences in a tragically unstable continent....and that, as Tony Blair supposedly understood in setting up his Africa Commission, would have had huge spin-offs for other parts of the world.  But that sort of strategic, long-term thinking and planning is exactly what doesn't happen, so far as I can see, anywhere in the murky agenda of international affairs.

The Government is blase because it has an idot as Foreign Secretary, and it is actually the US which is holding back from suggesting military action, and the UK and France which seem to be leading the way (though a 'No Fly Zone' is not technically military action.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #12 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:18:19 »

This one is different though.

When it comes to Libya the UN, or at least somebody, should do something. Iraq was very much a grey matter and an apparent case of warmongering.

What most will complain about is the hypocrisy. Why does Libya get help when a country like Burma doesn't?

Of course, it's a rhetorical question.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:21:11 »

Think it's different this time.Obama has tried everything to get out of supporting attacks this time round.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:21:47 »

Smiley

Assuming that was done on purpose!
Wink
I miss my debates with Bennett, the anti semitic cunt.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: