Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: From the WDP  (Read 2147 times)
yeo

Ignore
« on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 09:02:06 »

KING CLOSES ON TOP MAN  
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list  

09:30 - 02 July 2005  
Swindon Town boss Andy King said he is tantalisingly close to unveiling a Premiership signing that will "be a massive surprise" to the club's fans. King said the player, an experienced defender, would rival the excitement that accompanied the arrival of strikers Jamie Cureton and Tony Thorpe to the County Ground yesterday.

"I have reached an agreement with a Premiership club to take a player on loan for a season, " said King. "It will be a very exciting signing but it is not agreed yet.

"If I can pull off that loan deal, which has been agreed by the clubs, then that will be something.

"Then I probably need another two more players who will give me the belief that I will have a squad that is capable of challenging.

"It is coming around. I have a little bit left in my budget which I'm not leaving in the bank - I'm spending that!"

King has pinpointed an urgent requirement to strengthen the club's midfield, an area that has been left bare by the departures of Matt Hewlett, Brian Howard, Grant Smith, Steve Robinson and Sammy Igoe.

"I'm looking for a couple of good midfield players but I'm not rushing in as I need a certain type, " added King, who revealed he had failed to sign Gillingham's Nicky Southall, who has opted for Nottingham Forest.

"That may take into pre-season and we will have to be patient. Or I might get lucky with someone coming in on trial.

"But I'm really looking for two recognised midfield players, a left-footed player to replace Howard and Smith and a strong central midfield player."

Igoe, along with David Duke, didn't turn up for training yesterday. The pair declined the offers of new contracts reduced terms but have yet to sort themselves out with new clubs.

"At the moment they are talking to other clubs and looking for a better deal, " added King.

Igoe and Duke didnt turn up for training so its goodbye to them ,though he does seem to be leaving the door open for them for some reason.

I wonder who this experieced Premiership Defender could be?

Its also good to hear he's after a strong central Midfielder and a left sider.

/
W56196272
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 09:12:22 »

Well Duke and Igoe going will surely free up a significant amount of wages - wasn't Duke on quite a bit from the Todd days?
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 10:08:01 »

Alan Stubbs could be the defender...
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 10:27:21 »

Quote from: "nozza"
Alan Stubbs could be the defender...

Doubt it - I don't think he's yet signed a new contract for the Toffees ... and they've got a pretty threadbare squad for the Premiership, let alone the Champions' League.
kick_ass1987

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 10:30:39 »

Rio Ferdinand is the defender.... and Ryan Giggs is the left winger, and Stevie Gerrard is the central midfielder Smiley at least thats what my sources tell me Beers
alex

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 19:28:07 »

"I have reached an agreement with a Premiership club to take a player on loan for a season, " said King. "It will be a very exciting signing but it is not agreed yet."

I have reached an agreement but its not agreed yet??? What a load of bollocks andy king... makes you wonder how he manages to get so many quality players to come to swindon!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 19:38:59 »

I think he means he's agreed with the club but not the player.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 19:39:29 »

Andy Melville?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Crozzy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 19:39:30 »

Maybe he has agreed with the club but not the player.
CARTMAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 18:07:50 »

sol campbell ? we could guarentee first team football  
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 18:37:52 »

Quote from: "Edinburgh_STFC"
Andy Melville?

He said exciting :|

Nice to see we were in the hunt for Neville Southall - that would have been good!
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 18:42:36 »

Quote from: "Walrus"

Nice to see we were in the hunt for Neville Southall - that would have been good!

He is 46 though and I don't think we can afford the luxury of another goalkeeper anyway. Probably a good thing we missed out.
alex

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 20:01:16 »

There are so many players it could be... the chance that any of these players mentioned is the player we are getting is small.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 20:03:55 »

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
Quote from: "Walrus"

He is 46 though and I don't think we can afford the luxury of another goalkeeper anyway. Probably a good thing we missed out.

It was my prom yesterday....  After Thursday's walk home, I'm absolutely knackered!  Neville, Nicky, close enough!

alex - you say that, but a few people on here were banding the names Cureton, Thorpe and Smith around before anything had been released by the club (though perhaps Smith was more obvious due to his involvement in a Watford bid for Parkin).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: