Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: End of our fans complacent era?  (Read 7606 times)
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 20:55:00 »

It really does my nut.

A song starts up, you join in and before you know it half the stand are about 2 lines ahead.

We can't have that many new followers and surely we still have enough of the old guard to remember how the fuck we sing our songs?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
PigFarmer

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 20:58:16 »

The number of French, American, italian or other foreigners I've taken to town games in league 2 and league 1 over the past few years suggest the atmosphere is better than you get at similar sporting events in those countries.

I don't sing generally, I don't give subbed players a standing ovation unless they deserve it. I don't stand up when pricks demand I do at away games (hate Oxford/love town whatever).

I get really annoyed by people that think singing is the only way to show support especially when they spend more time goading fellow supporters for not singing rather than watching the fucking game.
Spencer_White

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:01:51 »

It really does my nut.

A song starts up, you join in and before you know it half the stand are about 2 lines ahead.

We can't have that many new followers and surely we still have enough of the old guard to remember how the fuck we sing our songs?

I think a lot of the old guard gave up when Fitton took over. The last L2 season was their last hurrah. There was a sense of relief, that we were handing over the club to someone proper and it was safe, but also a dismay at the Malpas appointment. I remmember beating Cheltenham 3-0 midweek in absolute silence from the fans. Out of that silence the kids started doing their own thing, which was fast chanting. But there are others who do it who should know better.
Spencer_White

« Reply #33 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:10:36 »

The number of French, American, italian or other foreigners I've taken to town games in league 2 and league 1 over the past few years suggest the atmosphere is better than you get at similar sporting events in those countries.

I don't sing generally, I don't give subbed players a standing ovation unless they deserve it. I don't stand up when pricks demand I do at away games (hate Oxford/love town whatever).

I get really annoyed by people that think singing is the only way to show support especially when they spend more time goading fellow supporters for not singing rather than watching the fucking game.

When did you start watching Town?

As for the foreigners, it isnt saying a lot. Germany is the only other country that has 3rd tier pro football. The Yanks dont sing, but the excitement of the crowds at their sports events is second to none. Excited and vocal. As you say there is other ways to support than singing, but vocal support is the only real support.

I know there will always be miserable boring gits like you at football and thats why we need standing areas to separate us because we both hate each other.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:12:35 by Spencer_White » Logged
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:13:43 »

I liked it when there was a section of support up in the Arkell's right in the face of the away fans... sure there were some idiots, but there was atmosphere up there and was quite entertaining when the games were a little on the shit side.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Spencer_White

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:16:31 »

I liked it when there was a section of support up in the Arkell's right in the face of the away fans... sure there were some idiots, but there was atmosphere up there and was quite entertaining when the games were a little on the shit side.

perfect example of how the CG is outdated, the away fans should not be that near the corporate/dignitaries seats.

I enjoyed a few cup games up there, but it was never going to last. The Arkells grandads cant take that sort of excitement and it was embaressing for the club having things so lively near the corporate seats.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:18:01 »

I think a lot of the old guard gave up when Fitton took over. The last L2 season was their last hurrah. There was a sense of relief, that we were handing over the club to someone proper and it was safe, but also a dismay at the Malpas appointment. I remmember beating Cheltenham 3-0 midweek in absolute silence from the fans. Out of that silence the kids started doing their own thing, which was fast chanting. But there are others who do it who should know better.

Well then as someone who's too young to be "old guard" and too old to be a fast clapper. I feel duty bound to carry on where they left off. In theory I would love to try and orchestrate some singing but I get so involved in the game, so nervous and analytical that I some times barely notice the singing around me.

PigFarmer

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:28:48 »

This Spencer guy is a cunt.

I've been watching town awhile.

I don't need to spend the whole match taunting Oxford.

I don't need to sing.

I support the town, just quietly.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:38:01 »

I'd rather we sang more supportive songs, but the odd Pox chant doesn't do any harm. Trouble is we'll reel off 3 songs in a row that have nothing to do with supporting the team/player..

Spencer_White

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:39:04 »

This Spencer guy is a cunt.

I've been watching town awhile.

I don't need to spend the whole match taunting Oxford.

I don't need to sing.

I support the town, just quietly.

You like the atmosphere, you like showing your foreign friends the passion, but you dont like contributing yourself because you're above all that. Thats fine. As for taunting Oxford, we put the odd chant in there, but at their place 'we hate Swindon' is their second chant.

There should be standing areas for the fans (supporters), and seats for spectators like yourself. I dont want to be near you, and you dont want to be near me.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:46:40 by Spencer_White » Logged
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:46:08 »

There was a post on here the other day that I found pathetic. I quote 'As far as I am concerned I'm dead happy even if we get relegated. At least we will be in business next season.' Unbelievable.

Indeed, the very same poster that left the ground with 15 minutes still on the clock yesterday
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:46:39 »

I think the whole 'fans have to sing or they needn't bother coming' viewpoint is tiresome and needless. All it does is fuel pointless animosity between fans. Its stupid, and has no effect on anything

Things get better but they never get good
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:46:45 »

I've been going since the early 90's. Normally the home games arn't the best for atmosphere, but I think that's the case with a lot of football league clubs nowadays. There are lots of reasons why this is the case. Nowadays what you tend to find is that football fans, generally, are far less patient with their teams/ players/ managers. It's funny looking back at the King days when this club didn't have a penny to its name, had clueless people running behind the scenes, the atmosphere was better then that what it is now. I think a lot of people are disillusioned with football today.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:47:59 »

Indeed, the very same poster that left the ground with 15 minutes still on the clock yesterday
Town End? I was on me own yesterday and a group of about 5 middle aged blokes were stood around me... and 2 or 3 of them left to go to the pub and I was thinking wtf?! One of the dude who stayed was very angry and shouty the whole game...

Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 21:49:32 »

no mate

DRS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: