Poll
Question: Should Danny Wilson get the sack?
No
Yes

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Should Wilson be sacked  (Read 46603 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 21:37:11 »

Danny Wilson didnt take a 5th place team and turn them into a 20th placed team. He took on a 20th placed team, turned them into a 5th placed team and then took the team back down to 20th!

Has he gone yet?
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 21:41:20 »

People are forgetting that last season we OVER-ACHIEVED so banging on how far we've fallen is a moot point. 
Spencer_White

« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 21:43:42 »

You're right that 7th or 16th dont matter now, both positions are complete and utter failure and a huge backwards step.

So we're demanding to be play offs every year now? Its been a season of transition. Weve assembled a big transfer kitty. Utter failure 16th? You sound like a Liverpool fan.

Have we got a manager of keeping us up? Yes. Have we got a manager capable of rebuilding a team good enough to challenge next season? Yes.

If we do get relegated then that is an utter failure, and yes if that happens Danny Wilson should resign. But he deserves that chance to see this season through, and lets face it, he's going to get it.
Spencer_White

« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 21:47:45 »

Danny Wilson didnt take a 5th place team and turn them into a 20th placed team. He took on a 20th placed team, turned them into a 5th placed team and then took the team back down to 20th!

Has he gone yet?

which, by the way, was our best season for about 15 years. How many managers have we been through in that time?

And no DV, Sturrock didnt give us a better season.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 21:50:16 »

I was jesting.

People have tasted a bit of success, it tasted good.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 22:06:17 »

Indeed Spence.  Last season was the best overall season since 1995/96, beating 06/07 on the basis of the league it was in and the style of the team at times.

While I agree it's crap viewing at times right now, this season is much like any other season from 1996/97 until now bar probably 3, maybe 4.  Sure we've had one or two slightly over mid table finishes but I remember feeling much worse and finding them much less worth attending at times.  This is us, the average us.

We got spoilt for 7 years or so, the rest of my days watching Swindon have been as bad if not worse than this season.  I want Wilson to keep us up so we can become a team that starts becomming stable, because that will eventually breed more consistent periods of "success".
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 22:07:34 »

I was jesting.

People have tasted a bit of success, it tasted good.

Untill the last course.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 22:46:45 »

Interesting statistic of the day....

Maurice Malpas was in charge for 36 League games from which we got 45 points.

From our last 36 League games we have got 45 points.

Though of course the other factor in Malpas being sacked was us getting knocked out of the cup competitions by shit teams including one from non-league, whereas this season under Wilon we've....oh hang on a sec....
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 22:50:53 by jonny72 » Logged
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 22:50:38 »

Maurice Malpas was in charge for 36 games from which we got 45 points.

From our last 36 games we have got 45 points.

Though of course the other factor in Malpas being sacked was us getting knocked out of the cup competitions by shit teams including one from non-league, whereas this season under Wilon we've....oh hang on a sec....
Cheesy
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 22:56:03 »

Maurice Malpas was in charge for 36 games from which we got 45 points.

From our last 36 games we have got 45 points.

Wilson has been running neck and neck with Malpas in terms of points gained for a while now.  His record hasn't just been poor this season, it stems from the back end of last season, something which ultimately cost us the second automatic promotion spot.  In the excitement of the Play-Off games, that is a fact that most people conveniently forget.  

I'm genuinely surprised that there are still a number of people who not only think Wilson should be given until the end of the season, but should have his contract extended and is capable of rebuilding the team.  What on earth is he going to do differently when everything he's done this season has failed so dismally?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 23:01:55 »

What on earth is he going to do differently when everything he's done this season has failed so dismally?

Yes it might not work out. But you can't know that for sure. If the board of Manchester United had thought the same about Fergie then they wouldn't be where they today*.

Of course Wilson isn't Fergie. But the fact is Wilson took us to our highest position in many a year. Was it luck? I'm prepared to wait and see.

* OK he nearly got sacked but for the league cup win, but that doesn't invalidate the point.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 23:07:07 »

Wilson has been running neck and neck with Malpas in terms of points gained for a while now.  His record hasn't just been poor this season, it stems from the back end of last season, something which ultimately cost us the second automatic promotion spot.  In the excitement of the Play-Off games, that is a fact that most people conveniently forget.  

I'm genuinely surprised that there are still a number of people who not only think Wilson should be given until the end of the season, but should have his contract extended and is capable of rebuilding the team.  What on earth is he going to do differently when everything he's done this season has failed so dismally?

Malpas is still ahead with his post match ''monkeys off our back'' and 'one swallow doesn't make a summer'' speeches, I actually warmed to him just because of those cliches!
Panda Paws

« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 23:07:45 »

People are forgetting that last season we OVER-ACHIEVED

No we fucking didn't. The board put the budget in place and set the target as a play-off spot, and DW banged on about challenging pretty much the whole season.

We achieved, we did not OVER ACHIEVE!

Not that it matters now mind.

Rodney

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 23:18:04 »

We did well last season, and that was mostly down to Wilson - albeit with some luck too.  We got lucky with Charlie, Danny Ward and also injuries and suspensions.

But it was an average league.  By December we hadn't exactly set the world slight, we then hit some form, then limped over the line in the end.  We started the season like we are now, with only one one decent striker, a shaky defence and a habit of conceding late goals.

So it's well done Danny ultimately, but if we'd started and finished the season stronger it could have been so much better. Not sure if we can really blame him for that though.  It was progress after all.  I'd give Danny the benefit of the rest if the season, as it least he got us competing and playing football again in the first place.

The spiral back downwards this season has been a massive shit though.
Lumps

« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 23:21:59 »

Indeed Spence.  Last season was the best overall season since 1995/96, beating 06/07 on the basis of the league it was in and the style of the team at times.

While I agree it's crap viewing at times right now, this season is much like any other season from 1996/97 until now bar probably 3, maybe 4.  Sure we've had one or two slightly over mid table finishes but I remember feeling much worse and finding them much less worth attending at times.  This is us, the average us.

We got spoilt for 7 years or so, the rest of my days watching Swindon have been as bad if not worse than this season.  I want Wilson to keep us up so we can become a team that starts becomming stable, because that will eventually breed more consistent periods of "success".

So Andy King taking us to the play off semi's in 03/04 is just airbrushed from history now?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: