Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Colchester Matchday Thread  (Read 29087 times)
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 04:04:39 »

JDs long ranger would have been one to remember.

That really would have 'raised the roof'

Great game today for us, as somebody said last week about Plymouth they made it relatively easy for our defence in that tended to hump it forward which we dealt with well I thought, what I think they failed to do, which they have done here to good effect before, was to pressure the second ball too often.  In previous visits they have always had a real desire to get in your face and try to win those second balls if insert name of appropriate 'big lump' didn't win the first.

That said of course we were so up for it that I think we could have dealt with that too.  Wilson said on the wireless that we had our 'business heads on' and he was exactly right.  Every player stepped on to the pitch believing we would win and did their utmost to make that happen.  We thoroughly deserved to win today and if we can show that commitment over a good run of games then we are good enough to beat anyone and could be pushing the playoff spots again.

Prutton was my man of the match for reasons mentioned by others, really impressed with what I have seen of him lately, could be a big player this season.  Dossevi also looked more at ease with things and that was the best certianly I have seen from him, long may it continue as he was a big factor in the ball being on the floor more what with him coming short to pick it up and looking to be positive with it.

Very happy with that display and more of the same would be very welcome.  Grin

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 08:43:30 »

For the celebration. Slid along the floor then saw the flood of fans at the barriers of The Town End so just dived right in! Was a great sight.

Yeah, he was then joined by Timlin, Ritchie, Prutton, Douglas, Rose, Ball and possibly some more. Yet, they didnt get booked!

Prutton was ace. He was certainly getting forward alot more than last time he played with Douglas. Last time they seemed to both sit, maybe thats tactics, maybe thats fitness, maybe it was opposition. They didnt play the same game out there.

Still too many dodgy moments at the back for my liking.

I'm not going to get too excited, dont get me wrong we played well - but for a team 3rd in the league (which I suppose bodes well for us) Colchester were extremely poor. Can only beat whats in front of you though...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 09:06:40 »

Just saw the highlights on the Football League Show. Why was everyone so convinced their guy on the wing was offside? Definitely looked on to me.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 09:18:03 »

You can't tell from the highlights. Their player isn't in view when the ball is kicked.
Spencer_White

« Reply #229 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 09:31:29 »

Never noticed how 2 footed Prutton is up until the last 2 games. His dribbling yesterday was silky smooth! Hopefully he's settled down now and this is the David Prutton we will see for the rest of the season.

Rose was better yesterday. He just needs to do the simple things right, because he's the best free kick taker weve had for many years. So unlucky not to score, another great free kick.

Austin, brilliant. So great to have a player who will really celebrate goals properly with the fans. Yes it got him a yellow card, but so what? Fair play to Dossevi, showed a lot more confidence, really put his foot through the ball for the goal.

Douglas, brilliant. Ritchie, exciting. Timlin, decent (although the whole team should practice 1 on 1s because Charlie is the only player who seems to be able to put them away).

The problem is the defence. Last season we only needed a 1 goal lead to win games, but this season we need 2. If they had got the equaliser it would have been a travesty, but it nearly happened.

A real relief. 
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 12:10:59 by Spencer_White » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 10:01:04 »

The problem is the defence. Last season we only needed a 1 goal lead to win games, but this season we need 2. If they had got the equaliser it would have been a travesty, but it nearly happened.

In fairness, we had exactly that same problem last year Spencer..

Oldham (A) 2-2 went 2-1 up in the 90th minute but could not hold on
Wycombe (H) 1-1 they equalised in the 89th minute
Exeter (A) 1-1 they equalised in the 87th minute
Charlton (A) 2-2 they equalised in the 95th minute
Charlton (H) 1-1 they equalised in the 90th minute
Southend (A) 2-2 2-0 up with 5 minutes to go

Highland Robin

« Reply #231 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 10:10:00 »

Why was everyone so convinced their guy on the wing was offside? Definitely looked on to me.

I agree....I was expecting it to be obvious after all the comments on here, but he definitely looked onside to me.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 10:17:45 »

For me Cuthbert isn't a rightback. Got 'sucked' over way too much for my liking.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 10:30:38 »

You can't tell from the highlights. Their player isn't in view when the ball is kicked.

Agreed, but on balance it looks like LJF is covering him. I'd be making more of a fuss about Sean's lack of a challenge on Vincent, but it's not going to spoil my weekend.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 10:59:22 »

5 points worse off than this time last season...only one win less and scored 6 goals more...and 8 points away from second place, the same as we were this time last season Hmmm

09-10                         P     W      D      L        F      A    GD    PTS
09    Swindon Town    16    6    7    3    19    19    0    25

10-11
13    Swindon Town   16   5   5   6   25   28   -3    20

It looks like maybe things are finally coming together and maybe, just maybe this can be the start of another run like last season.

Apparently we shouldn't keep comparing last season to this season but fuck it, who cares..it's all still to play for.
Happy days Cool

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 11:30:52 »

I would like to know Flash's view on Prutton now  Wink

Dossevi's finish for his goal was brilliant, I've never doubted his skill but his finishing has been woeful. Hopefully yesterdays goal will be just what he needed, looked very composed.

Why is it though that if we lose it's because we're shit, yet when we win it's because the opposition's shit?

Team played well yesterday.

It's All Good..............
Jean-Francois is God

« Reply #236 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 11:42:33 »

Excellent win and a good committed performance yesterday.

The midfield was my highlight yesterday, we looked much more solid with the inclusion of Timlin who I have been impressed with since his return and Douglas who showed yesterday why he is a key player for Town.  I was also very impressed with Prutton yesterday who in my opinion played his best ever game in a Town shirt and hopefully this performance can kick start his Town career.

Delighted that Dossevi played and scored as I think that with the games he can only get better.  Our 2nd goal was a cracking team goal and I will not tire of watching that back again and again on the highlights.

The only slight bit of concern for me yesterday was that of Phil Smith who I thought had a few dodgy spells and didnt seem like he was communicating with Morrison or Jean-Francois yesterday but that is only a minor concern after 3 points.

Can someone please tell me what that horrible drone sound of Agado was in the Town End please?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 11:50:52 »

Why is it though that if we lose it's because we're shit, yet when we win it's because the opposition's shit?

Team played well yesterday.

Agree 100%.

Colchester aren't shite, thats why they are in the play-off places & with a win yesterday would have been second.

They were made to look second best because we played WELL.

The only real concern from yesterday, and it does seem to be a bit of a trend, is that we too often try to hang on to a one goal lead especially in the last 10 mins (or 15 and half after the Ref decides he's having so much fun he wants to carry on a bit longer).

I guess if you can shut the game down & see it out, it's a professional job. But with our defence as shaky as it has been I'd rather be more than one up if we're going to do that
Rich Pullen

« Reply #238 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 11:54:57 »

Agreed herthab.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, November 14, 2010, 12:04:11 »

Agreed, but on balance it looks like LJF is covering him. I'd be making more of a fuss about Sean's lack of a challenge on Vincent, but it's not going to spoil my weekend.

He looked a couple of feet from my angle which was practically directly in line Smiley But yes, we went to sleep after that point anyway.

Alls well that ends well.  Talking of which, Smith's unorthodox save had my heart in my mouth. Which goes back to the issue of putting games to bed.

But make no mistake, this was a great match to watch and we played well. I enjoyed our performance in as much as I hated our performance against Charlton. 4-4-2 rules*!

*until it doesn't
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: