Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can we please stop talking about last season in relation to this please  (Read 6958 times)
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 17:32:03 »

I'm not saying that Dave, and it wasn't supposed to come across as argumentative leefer, but there seems to be some real negativity around this season and I just don't get it. Last season was incredible, one of the best since I've followed Town, and the same thing could happen again. In some areas the squad is far stronger, in others weaker, so it's inevitable there will be some inconsistency. When we've been good we've been very good, when we've been bad it's been because we're inconsistent, which is down to wilson trying to find a way of making the team as hard to beat as last season, and as dangerous going forward while without one half of a potent partnership.

For some it justs seems to be so black and white. We lose we're shit, we win we're going up. Just enjoy the highs and lows and see what happens. We're not strong enough to expect to be at the top - we haven't spent like udders and we're not as big as saints.

It's not as those the players/manager/board want to be in the bottom half!! They're trying FFS!

Just frustrates me - our fans are fickle fuckers.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 17:34:33 »

I'm not saying that Dave, and it wasn't supposed to come across as argumentative leefer, but there seems to be some real negativity around this season and I just don't get it. Last season was incredible, one of the best since I've followed Town, and the same thing could happen again. In some areas the squad is far stronger, in others weaker, so it's inevitable there will be some inconsistency. When we've been good we've been very good, when we've been bad it's been because we're inconsistent, which is down to wilson trying to find a way of making the team as hard to beat as last season, and as dangerous going forward while without one half of a potent partnership.

For some it justs seems to be so black and white. We lose we're shit, we win we're going up. Just enjoy the highs and lows and see what happens. We're not strong enough to expect to be at the top - we haven't spent like udders and we're not as big as saints.

It's not as those the players/manager/board want to be in the bottom half!! They're trying FFS!

Just frustrates me - our fans are fickle fuckers.

Fuckle Fickers............know you wasn't Juddie Grin
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 17:37:39 »

How long do we go on this season being optimistic because of last season?

Things get better but they never get good
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 17:42:21 »

I'm not optimistic because of last season. I'm optimistic because of what we can do going forward THIS SEASON. Once we sort the back out and hopefully secure Ritchie at least until the end of the season then we've got a lot to look forward to come New Years.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 17:47:10 »

If we can play more often like we did against huddersfield and for 30 minutes against bristol rovers then yes, I can see us being up there. However, that leaves a lot more times i've seen us where we've looked mid-table fodder. The way I see it i'm just backing the favourite.

I don't doubt for one minute wilson and fitton are doing their damndest to improve us, but so far this season it hasn't worked - 16th in the table tells you that - and in most years, for most football clubs you tend to base future judgement on past performance. I'd love to share the same faith and opimism as everyone else, but i'm just looking at it logically

Things get better but they never get good
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 17:50:02 »

If we can play more often like we did against huddersfield and for 30 minutes against bristol rovers then yes, I can see us being up there. However, that leaves a lot more times i've seen us where we've looked mid-table fodder. The way I see it i'm just backing the favourite.

I don't doubt for one minute wilson and fitton are doing their damndest to improve us, but so far this season it hasn't worked - 16th in the table tells you that - and in most years, for most football clubs you tend to base future judgement on past performance. I'd love to share the same faith and opimism as everyone else, but i'm just looking at it logically

Spot on Dave. So far, our mid table performances have been more frequent than our play-off ones.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 17:52:58 »

Yeah, but we went on a run last season. So it could happen again this season.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 18:07:56 »

Oh Dave your sarcasm and cynacism put a great big smile on my face. 2 results drastically change the face of this league and if we still languising in the bottom half come new years, I'm going to keep my sunny disposition if it's all the same to you.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 18:15:43 »

do whatever the fuck you like mate Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 18:16:57 »

, but there seems to be some real negativity around this season and I just don't get it.

I think thus far its disappointment rather than sustained negativity. Having gone so close last season we wanted to kick on and get promoted this season. History should have taught us otherwise!

Of course this season is far from dead yet. Its also interesting to note fancied teams Southampton and Charlton are performing similarly to us. And in the Championship Leicester and Forest were playoff semi finalists and are having a bad time of it this year. We are not unique in that regard.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 18:46:01 »

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic because of last season, I'd say I'm optimistic because teams historically tend to stat sluggishly after failing in a play-off final and get better (and like batch says, we're not the only ones), but I also believe I've seen enough this season in glimpses to suggest we can have another good season.

The only difference is consistency, and that's because Wilson hasn't found a formula that works yet. If Ritchie stays he could play the role Ward played last season, then it's a case of one of the strikers stepping up and us sorting it out at the back.

We're not far away IMO. And even if this season is mid-table, then with the squad we have and the lessons we might learn learn, we'll have a strong base to be even better next year.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 19:53:05 »

We're not far away IMO. And even if this season is mid-table, then with the squad we have and the lessons we might learn learn, we'll have a strong base to be even better next year.

Not necessarily true Juddie, because we'll likely lose key players such as Austin and Cuthbert and then the whole rebuilding starts again.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 20:10:40 »

That's the biggest concern. If we don't at least hit the same heights as last season, we will lose those 2 and more.

juddie

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 20:31:17 »

I accept that, but even if we lost two this summer the squad - as a base - would still shit all over what we had under Malpas/sturrock. Wilson is always building and he has shown he can get good players consistently. First Dougie/Greer/Lucas, then Prutton/Ferry and his loan players have been good as well. Ward/Darby and co were ace, and Ritchie and Ball are now looking good, too. After the summer of 2009 we have a base of decent players regardless of whether we lose one or two each summer.

Okay, so he hasn't replaced Paynter and Greer... Greer was a bombshell dropped just b4 the season started and didn't give him much time to deal with - captains are hard to come by, while Dossevi and Pericard could have done what austin did last year - we didn't know austin or paynter were gonna score loads and wilson probably saw enough in the other two to think he'd be ok.

It's a fine line between success and failure. Wilson isn't far from beng where he wants to be, he's just been unlucky with injuries and having to change things here and there.

I bet you if anyone is frustrated with things at the mo, it's wilson...

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, October 18, 2010, 21:06:12 »

of course wilson is frustrated,it's not going to plan.
he's been unlucky with the signings not pulling up trees but that's the way it goes.
he signed them,and he picks the formation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: