Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 1245 times)
Anonymous

« on: Thursday, December 23, 2004, 18:32:26 »

Today I had previously agreed with the Assistant Manager at Next in Gatwick to do 7am-11am this morning overtime.  God knows I need the money for Xmas.  I go in and start working, and personally I'm fairly busy, but some of the older staff are standing around chatting.  There is a visit due from the Area Manager later.

At 8am, the Assistant Manager asked if I had any plans for later in the day - I guessed because she wanted me to stay on later but I couldn't - my girlfriend had a free house....   :roll:

At 8.15am, she asked if I wated to go home as they had too many staff, but I wouldn't get paid.  I declined as I needed the money, much as I would have loved to.  Then at 8.30am, despite being in the middle of a task, I was told to go home as there was no need for me, and I'd get paid till 9am, missing out on two hours pay.

Do I have a leg to stand on to fight it, or are they entitled to treat me like shit?  It was overtime, but at the same time I was under the impression I had a verbal contract to work 7-11.  Should I fight it out with the AM?  go to the manaager but I doubt I'll have any joy.  Or go to Head Office?
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 23, 2004, 18:47:23 »

What ever you do, be careful. You don't want to be on the wrong side of your employer.
I would just not do overtime agian.(they can shove it up their ass)

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 23, 2004, 18:59:09 »

If it was verbally agreed they should stand by it, but i'm not sure of the legal rights. I would mention it to your manager to say that you had changed your plans to make yourself availible for overtime and that you where disapointed in the fact you thought it was agreed and ask if there is anyway he can make sure if you are asked to do overtime its definatly needed.

At the end of the day its there fault for overstaffing but tread lightly because you may not be the first person to be asked for overtime in the future.  :?

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 23, 2004, 23:41:04 »

If your are scheduled to work then they have to do it over time i'm not so sure about i'll ask my grandad he knows everything about at work rights, EVERYTHING. Verbal means shat these days. I'd agree with get your story straight and go steaming in or you could become public enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: