Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paranormal Activity  (Read 41629 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #300 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 09:44:31 »

I'm wasting my time aren't I?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 09:46:06 »

Not very funny pauld
Yeah, that's my trademark
Gelbfüßler

Was gücksch?

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 09:46:30 »

Here's ghost

[url width=361 height=445]http://www.urb.com/uploads/blogs/7278/Ghostface-Killah.jpg[/url]

Wir lassen uns unsere Liebe nicht nehmen
Nicht von den Bullen und nicht vom DFB
normy

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 10:05:16 »

I'm wasting my time aren't I?

I don't know why we are so far apart on this. I have researched all that I could from Crookes own accounts of his evidence, as written for example in "History of Spiritualism" , Volume 1, p.119 to 125. Too much to type here. If you don't accept it as evidence then we are both wasting our time.

ust be the oldest
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 10:08:49 »

Go back to your definition of legal evidence - one definition you omitted was a form of "evidence" that's usually specifically excluded from legal proceedings as being unreliable. Hearsay.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #305 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 10:19:35 »

I don't know why we are so far apart on this.

As has already been mentioned numerous times, it is nowt but heresay. You are expecting us to just take somebody's word for it.

Einstein, for example, has theories. Evidence backing up his theories and research: E=MC2.

Darwin's theory of evolution. Evidence backing up his theory and research. Thousands upon thousands of fossils demonstrating his ideas.

Crookes has a theory. Evidence backing up his theories and research: HELP ME OUT HERE!!!!!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #306 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 11:24:43 »

My dictionary says, " Facts, evidence, argument, etc, establishing or helping to establish a fact".  Or a "  demonstartion or act of proving". Or wevidence, documentation, facts, data, testimony, substantiation " . I could go on.

Looks like your dictionary is faulty mate, I'd take it back.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 11:29:53 »

hmmm... that's the Scooby Doo dictionary where 'wevidence...' is compulsory when chasing the paranormal...  Of course it always ends up being the the caretaker dressed up in a white sheet...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 11:36:54 by triseros » Logged
normy

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 11:48:49 »

I can't see how I can. He conducted scientific experiments with mediums, and recorded the results. He was a great scientist and I trust his honesty in the reporting. It's in books, and in scientific journals, like The Quarterly Journal of Science, of which he was then editor, and in the SPR Proceedings V1, p.98., "Researches in the phenomena of Spiritualism".
He said it was not fraud or imposture, and found no other explanation but what is called paranormal. I choose to believe him.

His theory was that communication with a Spirit World was possible by means of physical mediums, who had a special rare ability to produce ectoplasm, which enabled paranormal phenomena to take place, including communication with spirit forms by means of materialisations and direct voice.
I can't think of anything in the written evidence which would convince you this was the case. If you don't believe it is possible, then it's ruled out. Unless you witness it for yourself, which is very rarely available nowadays due to lack of mediums. How would it be possible to authenticate Crooke's investigations?  Or the other scientists who worked with mediums in that period?   German scientists did a lot of investigations, and Professor Charles Richet. Paranormal phenomena was reported by them. However, once again it's not worth the trouble of typing it out, you would have to read for yourself, and it still is not what you call evdence.

ust be the oldest
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #309 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 11:55:58 »

I can't see how I can.

Could this be interpreted as progress? Let's go with it.

So ask yourself this: If I can produce evidence that backs up Einstein's theory of relativity and Darwin's theory of evolution, for example, then why is it that you cannot produce evidence to back up Crooke's theory of things that go bump in the night?

Why is that?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 12:27:27 »

Darwin's theory of evolution. Evidence backing up his theory and research. Thousands upon thousands of fossils demonstrating his ideas.
Bollocks. Everyone knows the fossils are fakes planted by a 4000-year old and surprisingly mischievous God just to fuck with our heads and root out the unbelievers. You're really not helping your own case here BR
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 12:35:46 »

Poor normy, stop picking on him.

Although that tilting story made me picture Casper playing pinball.

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 12:38:18 »

i've heard of many people(some are family members) of faith and the afterlife who had terminal illnesses and knew they were going to die.they said to their loved ones that they will come back to them when they pass on to let them know they are ok.
those loved ones are still waiting.......

i believe those who feel a loved ones presence are imagining it. the human mind working with the emotions.
Talk Talk

« Reply #313 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 13:05:53 »

20 pages of mostly shite.

What did you expect?

Has anyone got any interesting stories or beliefs with regard to paranormal activity?

It could anything from:

Seeing UFOs
Crop circle beliefs
Ghosts, do they exist?
Ouija boards, anyone ever done one?
normy

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 13:07:57 »

Because of several reasons, you might call excuses. Smiley

The only evidence available is through the agency of physical mediums
All our accepted knowledge does not include the paranormal.
Religious Churches and orthodox science are generally very anti for their own reasons. It is not a religion as such.
Physical mediums have more or less died out, for various reasons
The phenomena is unpredictable and not controlled by the medium and circle
Some of it can be spontaneous and therefore not occurring under test or circle conditions
The  "energies" or attitudes of sitters can affect the results.
I am unable to produce evidence because now I have no access to a physical medium to give evidence
When I did sit in seances with a physical medium for a year, I did experience some evidence to back up Crookes.
That evidence like the table tilt I described is not believed by anyone here, which is quite typical

I now know another physical medium, whose circle is said to produce phenomena, and communication by voice. I have visited and investigated, and examined the physical evidence from the seances they had. This included apports, and writing on pieces of paper brought in from outside the room by an unknown agency. This is their evidence, not mine, and it may or may not be genuine phenomena.
Next step, I intend to sit with that circle when they invite me, and see for myself. I will draw my own conclusions from the evidence. Again we are no farther forward really, I would not expect you to believe anything outside normal laws.

If for example you were then invited,  you accepted, and you experienced phenomena outside the laws of physics, what would you do? Nobody else would believe you as it is too wierd to take for most people.

Even if a team of scientists came in with all sorts of equipment, what would that prove? Would they be trusted, would they affect the conditions, etc etc. They write a report about what happens, and we're back to not believing books and accounts again.

This is wearing my brain out!  Hope it 's worth it. If you take any note of the Society for Psychical Research, they published "The Scole report" in November 1999. I bought a copy, in which they investigate the genuineness of a range of physical phenomena with a mediumistic group. There you will see full descriptions of all they did together. 447 pages. There are photos of the evidence they received as well as the accounts. It takes some effort to wade through it, but it enables you to make up your own mind on the contents. However, it is only a book. like all the others. is this evidence you would accept?

ust be the oldest
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: