Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arnold Darcy  (Read 3357 times)
redclover

« on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:12:38 »

Hi,

Just joined the forum as I am looking for information on Arnold Darcy, who I believe played for Swindon around 1960.

He is my wife's relative and we are looking for any pointers to information and photos of Arnold.

Thanks.

Richard.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:14:33 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=DARCYARN

I come from a land down-under
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:15:40 »

There's a bit of info here

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=DARCYARN

Oh, and he's no 19 of our all time club greats apparently!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon_Town_Football_Club_100_Greats
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:17:37 by Ginginho » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:36:24 »

That's an alphabetical list, thankfully...I nearly corpsed when I saw Wayne Allison at #2.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the Chief as much as anyone else.  Just couldn't quite stomach (before reality dawned) the idea that he was our second greatest ever player.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:43:59 »

Oops, didn't even notice that it was alphabetical!

redclover

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:45:42 »

Thanks Dachauer and Ginginho for the links.

I'll check them out.

Richard.
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 17:29:41 »

When my dad took me to my first ever Swindon game way back in the mid to late 1950's Arnold Darcy was my first Swindon Town idol.  Quite small but pacy and had a few tricks on him & could cross a good ball - McNamee take note. My recollections were that the rest of the team was pretty average (Maurice Owen excepted) but Arnold Darcy was my hero.  He was also a very popular member of the team that eventually got promotion in 1962/63 although by then his best years were behind him.

Later had a painting & decorating business in the town I believe but yes, for me a real Town hero.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:18:00 »

As much as i like Dick Mattick and i realise that a top 100 players is purely subjective,i have to say
that some of the choices or omissions are very surprising.

For example:

Russell Lewis and Mark Robinson included,but Kenny Stroud and David Kerslake are excluded.

But the most shocking exclusion is that of Ray McHale and personally,i would have included
Ian Miller.

This is of course pre-2002 when Dick's book was published.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:23:42 »

At the time I thought Miller was very over rated - knock it past the defender, beet him for speed and cross - not much skill involved. Now, I'd love a player like him.
I've never seen Matticks book but Mark Robinson was fucking useless and a lazy bastard as well. 
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:27:45 »

Dick Mattick was my history teacher so I have to believe that he's right and you're wrong, it's the law!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:29:33 »

Mattick picked everyone with more than 250 appearences on principle, hence Robinson.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:30:25 »

I think Dick Mattick should be included in the 'Teacher's' thread. Top bloke!

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:31:21 »

Mattick picked everyone with more than 250 appearences on principle, hence Robinson.

Kenny Stroud made 363 appearances but wasn't included!

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:33:46 »

Russell Lewis?? Jeez he was just a big lump, and dont get me started on Robinson, that was 600k well spent...
Lumps

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:46:44 »

I guess he's trying to spread things out a bit chronologically, and avoid just naming the two Div 2 play -off winning sides and the 69 league cup side.

I agree Mark Robinson FFS, but more shockingly OSSIE ARDILES!

Great manager here no doubt, but his Swindon plying record is two substitute appearances, no goals, no wins, one yellow card. Even Jason Drysdale did better for us than that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: