Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kevin Amankwaah: first team player?  (Read 7712 times)
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 09:34:58 »

Amankwaah will start on saturday. Nothing to do with Caddis's fitness, he's had a healthy pre-season with Celtic, just unsure of whether he has "clicked" or "gelled" with our team and style of play after less than a week of training with them. Caddis will, however, be our long-term right back. He has youth on his side, and will only develop over time and grow into an even better play than the Celtic fans seem to think he is.

Ferry will be harder to not include, but i think Prutton will start. Definately more of an offensive threat, and i'd love to see a few more long range efforts this year.

Lucas

Amankwaah
Cuthbert
Lescinel
Rose

McGovern
Prutton
Douglas
Ball

Austin
Dossevi/Pericard
Panda Paws

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 10:08:32 »

No one has a position that is their's to lose after a pre-season.  Last year's form is out the window now and players should be picked on the merit of their pre-season performances and the hard work they put in to earn the shirt.

I would be surprised if Caddis wasnt going to be the first choice RB after such a long pursuit to bring him in.  As much as I like Amankwaah I wouldn't mind him warming the bench if Caddis proves he can strike up a good working relationship with JPM.  Maybe the first game might be too soon so Amankwaah may get the nod, but I wouldn't imagine it will be for long.

The reality is it should not be about having a first choice and a back up RB, it should be about having different options for different games.  What Amankwaah brings is that sheer pace and ability to drive through when needed, I expect Caddis to bring a much more rounded game, perhaps with a better delivery.  Both are equally vital to success, but against different styles of opposition.  How many times did we come unstuck last year against 'tougher' teams? Perhaps having these different options in each position is the added extra we lacked last year but I think we may now have - especially with the addition of Prutton in the middle.

I am very optimistic for this season but like last year I will just be happy if we are challenging the top 6 at year end, we have no devine right for a top 2 finish.

Great post, I agree
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 10:34:27 »

No one has a position that is their's to lose after a pre-season.  Last year's form is out the window now and players should be picked on the merit of their pre-season performances and the hard work they put in to earn the shirt.

I would be surprised if Caddis wasnt going to be the first choice RB after such a long pursuit to bring him in.  As much as I like Amankwaah I wouldn't mind him warming the bench if Caddis proves he can strike up a good working relationship with JPM.  Maybe the first game might be too soon so Amankwaah may get the nod, but I wouldn't imagine it will be for long.

The reality is it should not be about having a first choice and a back up RB, it should be about having different options for different games.  What Amankwaah brings is that sheer pace and ability to drive through when needed, I expect Caddis to bring a much more rounded game, perhaps with a better delivery.  Both are equally vital to success, but against different styles of opposition.  How many times did we come unstuck last year against 'tougher' teams? Perhaps having these different options in each position is the added extra we lacked last year but I think we may now have - especially with the addition of Prutton in the middle.

I am very optimistic for this season but like last year I will just be happy if we are challenging the top 6 at year end, we have no devine right for a top 2 finish.

I think this is a great post as well, the whole argument based on last seasons form is rubbish as then any new player would be at a disadvantage.  If people said Kev should start as he did well last year and had good link up with JPM then surely Ferry should start as he linked up well with Douglas then you leave Prutton on the bench as well.  When you start any new season anyone has a clean slate and the team will be picked on whoever has been best in training.  I think the fact Darby was brought in last season suggest Danny isnt entirely happy with big Kev so I too feel that Caddis will go on to be first choice right back.
Panda Paws

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 10:57:17 »

The Prutton point is a good one. For everyone saying that Kev starts because of last year and his relationship with JPM, then surely Ferry starts ahaed of DP? Not the way I'd go but interesting none the less.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 12:09:57 »

The Prutton point is a good one. For everyone saying that Kev starts because of last year and his relationship with JPM, then surely Ferry starts ahaed of DP? Not the way I'd go but interesting none the less.
You're completely ignoring the fact that Prutton has been here for a while and played a whole pre-season with Douglas, whilst Caddis might not even remember everybody's name yet. Prutton has been able to build a relationship with Douglas (and actually knew him before), whilst Caddis and JPM hasn't even been tried in a friendly or a meaningless cup game. Which is why I'd wait until Orient to try it, using the proven relationship between JPM and Manks against Brighton.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 12:15:28 »

Caddis is a better player than Amankwaah.

I also thought Amankwaah's form dipped in the latter part of last season (that is comparing it though to the great start he had).
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 12:23:58 »

Apart from the strikers, the team that started against Forest will be the team that starts against Brighton. It'll be Austin and Pericard up front.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
corner

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 12:36:10 »

Is austin a first team player what about JPM? nobody knows, DW has said that they will all be fighting for a place. It will be a great season for us that is for sure. Cheesy
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 12:39:15 »

deffo one of the players who could find themself on the bench.darby was preferred to him which tells me another could too.shame, as we played our best football down that flank last year with him playing

Darby wasnt reallt preferred to Manks. Amankwaah was injured - thats why we bought Darby here in the first place, he did a good job and kept his place and Amankwaah still got back in towards the end of the season.

Ultimately i think he'll be second choice right back, assuming caddis is the player people say he is. Can't see caddis getting a wing role myself, unless injuries play a part. But manks will start saturday!

Where as, I think he has been bought in to play a wing role. At the moment we have JPM and O'Brien and thats it for wingers. Obviously he's used Ball there to but he's still a striker by trade.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 12:47:10 »

Darby wasnt reallt preferred to Manks. Amankwaah was injured - thats why we bought Darby here in the first place, he did a good job and kept his place and Amankwaah still got back in towards the end of the season.

Where as, I think he has been bought in to play a wing role. At the moment we have JPM and O'Brien and thats it for wingers. Obviously he's used Ball there to but he's still a striker by trade.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 12:52:32 »

Caddis is a better player than Amankwaah.

I also thought Amankwaah's form dipped in the latter part of last season (that is comparing it though to the great start he had).

Don't forget his superb sub appearance at Charlton, in which he played as a full back and a wide midfielder at the same time, meaning we didn't really seem to be down to 10 men.  He was awesome that night and full of running.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Panda Paws

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 13:15:03 »

You're completely ignoring the fact that Prutton has been here for a while and played a whole pre-season with Douglas, whilst Caddis might not even remember everybody's name yet. Prutton has been able to build a relationship with Douglas (and actually knew him before), whilst Caddis and JPM hasn't even been tried in a friendly or a meaningless cup game. Which is why I'd wait until Orient to try it, using the proven relationship between JPM and Manks against Brighton.

I wasn't ignoring any fact, which is why I said it's not the way I would play it. I was just intrigued, but you raise a good point about Prutton.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 13:52:09 »

Don't forget his superb sub appearance at Charlton, in which he played as a full back and a wide midfielder at the same time, meaning we didn't really seem to be down to 10 men.  He was awesome that night and full of running.

Both he and Amankwaah were amazing that night.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 13:54:52 »

Both he and Amankwaah were amazing that night.

I meant Amankwaah, but, yes I agree.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 14:13:22 »

Ah yes, my mistake. Forgot who started that one!

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: