Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kevin Amankwaah: first team player?  (Read 7697 times)
Spy

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 23:43:59 »

I see from the Brighton thread a lot of people can see Amankwaah sitting on the bench going into the start of this season.

I think that would be a shame and it would be harsh on him given how well he did for us last season.

Thoughts?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 23:45:37 »

I think he'll start on Saturday. Can see JPM playing LM at times this season with Caddis at RM. Only thing that worries me about that is that KA and JPM do link up really well and we'd lose that on the right hand side.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 00:28:19 »

He barely put a foot wrong last season. RB should be his to lose.

He'll start saturday.
flammableBen

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 05:31:01 »

Title of his debut solo hip-hop album?
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 07:01:07 »

The fact Wilson rated Darby but Kev still displaced him towards the end of last season says a lot. He was superb at times and should start Sat.
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 07:39:35 »

The link up play between JPM and Manky is thing of beauty, but I think Caddis, once settled, will overlap and link-up just as well, should he play at RB. Dare I say it, but his crossing will also be of a JPM quality as well.

The idea of JPM being over lapped by a player with more pace and crossing of a similar standard is pretty dreamy. Smiley
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 08:02:58 »

Title of his debut solo hip-hop album?

Cheesy

On a serious note, its his position to lose.  I dont see any of the 3 new signings starting on saturday
Bumblebee

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 08:15:35 »

No one has a position that is their's to lose after a pre-season.  Last year's form is out the window now and players should be picked on the merit of their pre-season performances and the hard work they put in to earn the shirt.

I would be surprised if Caddis wasnt going to be the first choice RB after such a long pursuit to bring him in.  As much as I like Amankwaah I wouldn't mind him warming the bench if Caddis proves he can strike up a good working relationship with JPM.  Maybe the first game might be too soon so Amankwaah may get the nod, but I wouldn't imagine it will be for long.

The reality is it should not be about having a first choice and a back up RB, it should be about having different options for different games.  What Amankwaah brings is that sheer pace and ability to drive through when needed, I expect Caddis to bring a much more rounded game, perhaps with a better delivery.  Both are equally vital to success, but against different styles of opposition.  How many times did we come unstuck last year against 'tougher' teams? Perhaps having these different options in each position is the added extra we lacked last year but I think we may now have - especially with the addition of Prutton in the middle.

I am very optimistic for this season but like last year I will just be happy if we are challenging the top 6 at year end, we have no devine right for a top 2 finish.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 08:18:41 by Bumblebee » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 08:18:37 »

Caddis will almost certainly be a get to the byline and cross type player whereas Kev's game isn't suited to this so we have options certainly.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 08:39:30 »

deffo one of the players who could find themself on the bench.darby was preferred to him which tells me another could too.shame, as we played our best football down that flank last year with him playing
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 08:52:51 »

No one has a position that is their's to lose after a pre-season.  Last year's form is out the window now and players should be picked on the merit of their pre-season performances and the hard work they put in to earn the shirt.

In the long run I agree.  In the short term, dont think Caddis is going to go straight into the team after 4 days training when Amankwaah is well established and has a strong understanding with the likes of JPM.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 09:17:39 »

I have a feeling that for the first game he wont play Ball as left winger but will play JPM on the left with Caddis on the right wing with Manks and right back.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 09:26:55 »

Ultimately i think he'll be second choice right back, assuming caddis is the player people say he is. Can't see caddis getting a wing role myself, unless injuries play a part. But manks will start saturday!
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 09:29:55 »

I can't see Ferry or Caddis starting. Ball is very very highly thought of so i am sure he will start. I also think Wilson might go with Austin and Dossevi up front... i predict

Lucas
Manks, Scotty, Lecs, Rose
JP, Dougie, Prutton, Ball
Austin, Dossevi

Bench: Smith, Morrison, Caddis, Ferry, O'Brien, Pericard, Timlin.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 09:32:22 »

I also think Kev will start Saturday but ultimately Caddis will get the spot in the long term, hoping for a couple of his long striding runs to the byline on Saturday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: