Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Allocated parking spaces  (Read 2244 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:33:30 »

I understand how these work in principle, but how do they work in practice? Has anyone had a problem with their allocated parking space(s)?

I'm looking to move and my current place has a big drive and garage. I want to keep my options open if I find the right place.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:35:36 by 4D » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:39:53 »

I guess how well it works depends on how your neighbours treat them and what sanctions happen if somebody regularly steals your space. Nobody can answer that!

In principle it should be a hell of a lot better than an unallocated free for all.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:44:39 »

In principle it should be a hell of a lot better than an unallocated free for all.

my pain
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:46:49 »

There is a place that I may try and view, it has 2 allocated spaces (I only have one car  Smiley). I guess there may be a time when I could be blocked in, but to be honest someone could park in front of my current driveway and cause the same problem.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:48:00 »

There is a place that I may try and view, it has 2 allocated spaces (I only have one car  Smiley). I guess there may be a time when I could be blocked in, but to be honest someone could park in front of my current driveway and cause the same problem.

Blocked in? I assume you have seen the parking spaces? Sounds an odd arrangement.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:48:35 »

We have a driveway and one allocated parking space. We only have one car so don't use it frequently, but we never really have any problems with neighbours using it. Occasionally the neighbours have visitors who use it, but it's no big deal. If anyone were to start taking the piss I'd just go and give them a knock.

According to the Deeds for our house, we "own" the parking space but we do not have the rights for the sole use of the space. I'm not sure how this works in other scenarios, but for us we are effetively powerless to stop other people from parking in "our" space.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:52:30 »

Blocked in? I assume you have seen the parking spaces? Sounds an odd arrangement.

No, but it's the sort of thing that would happen to me  Smiley At my first house (it was on a main road with no parking) I rented a garage nearby. I went to go to work one day and someone had parked their van right across the garage door, no more than 2 feet away. Someone had told him that the garage was unused.  Bad Mood

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:54:25 »

We have a driveway and one allocated parking space. We only have one car so don't use it frequently, but we never really have any problems with neighbours using it. Occasionally the neighbours have visitors who use it, but it's no big deal. If anyone were to start taking the piss I'd just go and give them a knock.

According to the Deeds for our house, we "own" the parking space but we do not have the rights for the sole use of the space. I'm not sure how this works in other scenarios, but for us we are effetively powerless to stop other people from parking in "our" space.

Does that make you responsible for the upkeep Sam?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 21:55:25 »

Yes. It's a shared private bit of road which all th neighbours are responsible for the maintenance of.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 22:22:42 »

Hmmm, I might read up a bit on this topic. I wonder what the rules are on putting in a lockable folding post?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 07:22:01 »

We had a problem with someone parking in our 2nd allocated parking space, despite putting a note on the dickheads car advising him it didn't belong to him he still parked there and posted the note through a neighbours door - cut a long story short he was renting we spoke to his landlord and put a 'allocated parking' sign by our space and he has not parked their since - neither does anyone else !
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 08:12:38 »

I think it's pot luck on what your neighbours are like.

I had an allocated space when I lived in a flat and found the whole idea in practice to be a stressful nightmare tbh. There were enough spaces for the flats i.e. one each but a significant number of flats had 2 cars, and then there were visitors. So whether I got my space depended usually on how early I got home from work.

After a period of notes, knocking on doors, putting up signs and just blocking cars in, the situation would calm down. But as the flats had a high turn over of residents, it was only ever a brief respite as I had to go through the whole process again with new residents.

Personally I would avoid allocated spaces at all costs if I could, should I decide to move again.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Doore

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 08:21:53 »

We have allocated parking - it works fine.  You park in your space.  If someone else parks in your space, you take your car keys and "decorate" their car.  They don't park there again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: