Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wycombe wanderers V Swindon Town official matchday thread  (Read 39772 times)
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 18:57:04 »

Why reward those that wont get behind the club no matter what division were in with cheap prices?

Get them hooked (and take their cash!)
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 19:14:05 »

Get them hooked (and take their cash!)

The club will gladly take their cash at £379...

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 19:27:31 »

We've lost a huge ammount of our fanbase from all points of the compass from Swindon.
I've known fans in the past from Newbury - they used to run a coach to every away game
and had quite a crew.Warminster,Stroud,Cheltenham and from the Fairford/Lechlade areas.

I know a guy who coaches at Fairford Town and he's told me in the past, that a large ammount
of the youth players there, have never ever been to the County Ground.

A trip to Wembley would bring national publicity and reignite interest in STFC from past fans
and their children.It may be a one off,but it would be a great start.

I got that Newbury one a few times, most of the people who used to now dont go, and their kids go to Reading. It will be hard getting them back, but things will change if we keep showing on and off the field improvements.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 19:52:04 »

I got that Newbury one a few times, most of the people who used to now dont go, and their kids go to Reading. It will be hard getting them back, but things will change if we keep showing on and off the field improvements.

Get them back? Were they ever really here in the first place. I can't see anyone with Swindon Town blood running through their veins taking their kids to see the plastics. They are Ephemeral fans.

That's not to say we don't want them in the County Ground though.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 19:53:20 »

They dont take them, or most dont of the ones i know, just going back to an earlier discussion we lost a generation and a half.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 20:03:20 »

Aaah I see, kids old enough to choose and go on their own are choosing Reading rather than Swindon. That's just bad parenting!

Things go in cycles, we'll rise again. Though if this stupid 4 year Premiership parachute payment comes in then all of us (City, Reading, Rovers) may lose out. I mean there is always the outside chance a good season would see us flirt with Championship playoffs (see Swansea, Cardiff, Blackpool), but that dream is pretty impossible if the Premier league will bankroll its failures for 4 years.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 20:07:07 »

I took my brother to his first away game saturday. He wants a season ticket now Cool

Things get better but they never get good
JOHNNY REEVES

« Reply #457 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 20:55:13 »

we need to win saturday to make sure we play the away leg first in the play offs
Melksham Red

« Reply #458 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 07:35:54 »

Are our gates really that bad or down compared to previous seasons? Really?
Just go and look at www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk and have a look at the 88-89 season for instance. That was a  playoff season at Championship level under Macari. There's a few notable sub 8000 attendances there and a couple of sub 6000.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 07:38:24 by Melksham Red » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 13:17:45 »

As been mentioned, it's probably best not too read much into our stated attendances back then, although i do remember some games from that season with the ground looking a bit sparse. Our most unbelievable stated attendance was 1986 V Crewe, circa 11k reported and there wasn't a spare inch in the ground, there were at least 15 if not nearer 20k that day.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 13:32:29 »

I see there were 12k odd at ipswich for the milk cup that year...there must have been a substantial away following that night as well...I remember it well as a 14/15 year old school boy...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 14:18:09 »

I see there were 12k odd at ipswich for the milk cup that year...there must have been a substantial away following that night as well...I remember it well as a 14/15 year old school boy...

Was that the one where Nicky Hammond lost us the game?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 14:25:13 »

nah...pre nicky hammond days, besides it was 6-1. I think there was more to it than a goal keeping error!
One F In Fitton

« Reply #463 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 14:29:22 »

Our most unbelievable stated attendance was 1986 V Crewe, circa 11k reported and there wasn't a spare inch in the ground, there were at least 15 if not nearer 20k that day.

I remember the laughter around us in the Shrivvy Rd when they announced the crowd vs Chester on the night that we clinched promotion. Everyone knew that the club were significantly reducing the actual total. I reckon you could safely say (just a rough conservative guess);

Arkells       = 5000?
Town End  = 3000?
Shrivvy     = 4000?
Bank & Chester = 5000?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 14:35:49 »

If that was today in the world of internet forums etc, they wouldn't have got away with it, some of the attendance claims back then were shocking, i'm sure it wasn't just us doing it though.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: