Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Walsall Official Matchday Thread  (Read 42950 times)
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:43:26 »

We're all gutted that 2nd is now unlikely but I think some have forgotten what we are - a collection of last seasons (near relegation) squad, free rejects from other clubs and loan players. Wilson has done wonders to get us to where we are now on such a small budget, but we've shown in the last 3 games that we haven't got quite enough strength and quality when it really matters.

Let's enjoy the play-off's and hopefully a nice day out at Wembley.

Cats are better than dogs FACT

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:44:40 »

"if we dont go up this season it will be a massive fuck up"

1) Start of the season - you look at the teams in this league - Norwich, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Millwall, Huddersfield. Its the strongest League One, possible ever. Most people, myself included, thought it would a mid-table season, with perhaps an outside chance of pushing for 6th place and sneaking in. We have been there pretty much all fucking season. Thats already exceeded all pre-season expectations regardless of what happens now.

2) Ignoring that, your "so many opportunitys have not been taken" - yeah we havn't had great results in the last couple of weeks. But I guess you have forgotten about the opportunities that we have taken, e.g. 2 wins against Leeds, 2 wins against Southampton etc.

3) Then your "we have had a fucking golden chance of promotion,if we blow it then its our fault" comments. Surely that applys even more to Leeds, Millwall and Charlton - due to the fact they are all in the same postion, with even more expectation, stronger sqauds, bigger budgets etc?

If we dont go up this season, it WON'T be a massive fuck up. It will be because a better team than us has got 2nd spot, and a better team than us have won the playoffs.

the teams above dont play our matches,thats down to stfc.means nothing what other clubs size is etc.

i dont forget the good days either,they are great but that doesn't get away from the fact that we've lost points we should have gained too.

the best side dont always win the play offs either,but second i'll grant you.we were better than brighton when they went up.and the season after we did fuck all.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:47:13 by arriba » Logged
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #317 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:48:24 »

What about them. We weren't really lucky to get them as such, we played well. I don't see your point?

My point is that we were not expected to get those points but we did, BECAUSE we played well.

People seem to be forgetting that we would not be this high in the league if it was not for that. Almost as though 6 points away to Leeds and Southampton is a given.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:51:41 »

Not really interested in all this self pity bollocks, but what was charlie doing to celebrate his goal. Sort it out sunshine

Things get better but they never get good
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #319 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:54:01 »

Not really interested in all this self pity bollocks, but what was charlie doing to celebrate his goal. Sort it out sunshine

What was he doing?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #320 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:54:18 »

If Leeds United don't go up it's a 'massive fuck up' because they had a significant lead between them and the Play-Offs. Plus they're a massive club at this level.

If Charlton Athletic don't go up it's 'massive fuck up' because they too are a massive club at this level plus they also had a decent run of form that dipped dramatically.

You could even call Huddersfield Town's potential failure to go up a 'massive fuck up' because they invested quite a bit pre-season.

Then there's Franchise whose owner has massive expectations but they've failed and face budget cuts - 'massive fuck up'.

Tranmere Rovers are still rueing their fuck up from last season where they missed out on the Play-Offs on the final day and sacked their decent manager for John Barnes. MASSIVE fuck up!

Southend United have gone from Play-Off challengers to relegation fodder in a year... Yup, M-F-U!

Bristol Rovers are horrifically inconsistant, they could/should have competed for a Play-Off place.

I could go on but I hope you get my point. The joy of this sport is how unpredictable it can be, when it goes against you it's frustrating as hell - but when it goes in your favour? Lovely.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:55:27 »

the best side dont always win the play offs either,but second i'll grant you.we were better than brighton when they went up.and the season after we did fuck all.

Not strictly true....we were inconsistent that season, but you may recall, Grunt Sniff missing a last minute pen at MKD, for a 2-1 win which would have taken us a point from the PO's with 7 games to go.  Once again however we tailed off.

It's not uncommon for this to happen, as it's hard to win matches under pressure, the secret is to have points in the bag, like Norwich, when they had a small blip recently, or for that matter Leeds.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 17:59:29 »

My point is that we were not expected to get those points but we did, BECAUSE we played well.

People seem to be forgetting that we would not be this high in the league if it was not for that. Almost as though 6 points away to Leeds and Southampton is a given.

But you could argue that if all those late goals hadn't gone in then we would be up. What's gone is gone. Irrelevant.

Its just a bit disappointing that we have secured 2/9 points while this close to the autos. A real missed opportunity given other teams around us have equally poor form. I'm sure all the fans of the teams that miss out on second will say the same.

I don't see how the season is anything less but a success though. Its not like we were top all season and threw it away.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #323 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:05:09 »

I don't see how the season is anything less but a success though.
This

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:05:41 »

My thoughts are it was crap today, no passion, no real effort and bloody clueless at times. Some players seemed to think the season finished at Elland Road, they got to come back down and start fighting.  Our play was so predictable again, no real width and no pace!  It is ironical that Darby was voted mom because I feel the thing that is missing now is Manky's raids down the wing setting things up in the box for us.  Just as well it wasn't Sheehan who made that almighty fuck-up for their goal, computers would be in melt-down now!!  Oh and Greer did his best to give one away in the second half!!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:10:23 »

The frustrating thing is that we have dominated the last 3 matches yet somehow only got 2 points. In each of those 3 games we've had more of the possession, more shots on target, more shots off target (except vs Walsall) and more corners than the opposition. I'm just not sure whether this is good or bad.

My only real criticism today was the substitutions. I'm guessing Ferry was injured and if not, Wilson must have been watching a different game to me. Taking Austin off when you're planning to play 3 up front and put the ball in the box is never a good idea as he's the most likely to pick up a loose ball.

When we put the 3rd striker on, why was Ward taken off rather than a defender? Its pointless playing 3 up front and taking off one of the wide players that you need to put the ball in to the box. A single point from today is unlikely to make much difference at the end of the season, Wilson should have said fuck it and gone for all 3 - especially as it would have broken the record of not coming from behind this season.

I wouldn't be too critical of Nouble or Pericard either. Whilst they did nothing and were generally crap for me it was mainly due to the tactics we were playing. Neither were supplied with the balls they needed to do anything. We didn't even look like scoring again once the changes were made, which is pretty bad.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:11:37 »

Another note, Pericard is also shite. Can someone enlighten me how long he signed for?

I also think Ferry had a bad game, not his usual self.

Gammon bap was ok though.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:14:51 »

We're all gutted that 2nd is now unlikely but I think some have forgotten what we are - a collection of last seasons (near relegation) squad, free rejects from other clubs and loan players. Wilson has done wonders to get us to where we are now on such a small budget, but we've shown in the last 3 games that we haven't got quite enough strength and quality when it really matters.

Let's enjoy the play-off's and hopefully a nice day out at Wembley.

The voice of reason, we have these loan players at the moment:

Ward
Darby
Sheahan
Ferry
Nouble

Almost half our outfield is on loan.  Will even two of these loan players be with us next year.  We need more non-loan players as starters. Ward and Ferry are obvious priorities, but we may not sign either of them.  

The mentality we have is understandable, we don't have a board that is going to sell the best players at the earliest opportunity and will not suddenly slash the playing budget.  We have had to endure that for too many years.

So what's next?  Whether or not we gain promotion, there is going to be rebuilding, but look at where we are and where we have come from.  Before the new board and Danny arrived who could we sign, who would join Swindon, not for example Wycombe star Kevin Betsy if rumours were true.  Next season, with or without promotion  especially with more and more financial difficulties all over the divisions, players will want to sign for Swindon.  Danny and the board have broken us out of the cycle of not attracting good players to Swindon Town.

Let's look at the rest, we need a left back if Sheahan doesn't sign, we need a midfielder or two who can score.  We have prospered with Paynter, a player kept out by Revell earlier in the season, who could have been on his way to Div II from Southend.  We got Charlie (for now anyway) from non-league obviously, a once in a life time find, which only happened because Bournemouth couldn't sign him.  This isn't exactly how Southampton, Leeds, Charlton, Norwich etc. have operated.  How we got a shout of auto is incredible, since when has Div I had four former Premier League league teams in it.  Leeds United are shitting themselves following our results.

Its only just started, Swindon Town is a team that is still being put together.  The most critical part of our progress was not getting relegated last season.

« Last Edit: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:17:59 by Crozzer » Logged
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:16:20 »

Nice post crozzer.  Very sensible!

Never knowingly overstated.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 18:17:16 »

I think there's a lot of talking at cross purposes at the moment.  I think it's completely feasible to simultaneously

(a) recognise the massive steps forward taken both on and off the pitch this season and the great achievement that a near certain play off place represents; and
(b) feel a sense of real disappointment that form has slipped in recent games.

In the immediate aftermath of a disappointing home draw, I really don't think it's unreasonable to want to let off steam about a missed chance (or three).  We could all be completely level headed and see the big picture all of the time...but then we wouldn't be football fans.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: