Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It was 20 years ago today......  (Read 7404 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 22:50:03 »

George Soros Wednesday is unlikely to be a larger loss or financial problem than Labour have been surely? Besides it's all irrelevant i suppose, they're all a bunch of thoroughly hateful dickheads with nothing of any relevance to say - as far as i'm concerned.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:39:06 by Barry Scott » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:23:19 »

So they wave headline figures of "£5bn/£7bn/$9bn loss" around when that doesn't allow for the money made on the stuff bought with the gold money and the current value of those assets (if we've still got them) or the profits made when they were sold. Which could reduce the loss substantially. May even be a profit (I very much doubt it). Who knows? As neither article bothered to explore this angle, it makes me extremely suspicious that they're not so much aiming to inform me of the true picture as coming at the whole issue with a massive axe to grind and spinning the stats to suit.

From the BBC article:

The $3.5bn of revenue raised in the sales was invested in interest-bearing assets denominated in dollars, euros and yen to the extent of 40%, 40% and 20% respectively. So to calculate the true net loss to the taxpayer, I would have to adjust for the yield on these assets and movements in the value of those currencies. And I don’t have enough information on precisely what was bought and when to make that calculation. It is probable, however, that the effective net loss on Gordon Brown’s great gold sale would be a bit less than $9bn – but it would still be a very significant loss.

Sterling has lost 25% against the Euro and Yen since those investments were made, about the same against the Dollar.

The only reason they can't give the exact figures is because the Treasury have refused to release the relevant information. I wonder why that is? We should hear more soon though as they have to release it before the end of the month or they'll be in contempt of court.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:28:56 »

Right so we didn't lose $9bn once the trans side is worked out. Or we may have done. Or it may have been a bit less. Or a lot less. He has no idea. Which is what I said.

EDIT: And I don't quite understand how I dragged myself into this. Right now the only figures/stats I actually give a shite about are the number of points we're likely to accumulate as opposed to Millwall, Leeds et al between now and May 8th and how much a second hand Fiesta's going to cost me.

But I still say the original "stats" (which is how I dragged myself into it, I remember now) are a crock of shit, probably worth about as much as the Yens or bonds or whatever the fuck it was Gordon bought instead of all that lovely nice shiney gold. Can we just leave it at that?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:32:56 by pauld » Logged
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:29:43 »

Right so we didn't lose $9bn once the trans side is worked out. Or we may have done. Or it may have been a bit less. Or a lot less. He has no idea. Which is what I said.

I found it down the back of my sofa.  I should be the leader.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:33:34 »

I found it down the back of my sofa.  I should be the leader.
A vote for donkey is a vote for common sense. And capacious sofas
Talk Talk

« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 23:56:04 »

EDIT: And I don't quite understand how I dragged myself into this. Right now the only figures/stats I actually give a shite about are the number of points we're likely to accumulate as opposed to Millwall, Leeds et al between now and May 8th and how much a second hand Fiesta's going to cost me.

You got dragged into this because you are obsessed with accuracy and the media misrepresentation of said facts. Unlike the Adver reporting on STFC. Oh...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: